Chaos Daemons Codex 2013
Chaos Space Marines Codex 2012

Warhammer 40k Forum Tau Online

Warhammer 40K Forum

Sentinels?!?!?!
Old 02 Oct 2009, 08:53   #1 (permalink)
Shas'La

Default Sentinels?!?!?!

Ok I was having glance at the gaurd codex and was thinking of adding in some sentinels (2-3 if i was). Now the questions I want to ask is:

A) Are they simply worth it?

B) What is the best load out for a sentinel unit, that is still somewhat cheap, but still feared on the battle field?

C) How do you field them in battle?

I ask this because i used to have sentinels but were sent sky high near the beginning of each game and they didn't do much :-\
Kharvol is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02 Oct 2009, 10:29   #2 (permalink)
Shas'Vre

Send a message via MSN to Lord Zambia
Default Re: Sentinels?!?!?!

Depends on what type of guard you have. You can field a ridiculous number of sentinels (15 if i recall correctly) for 500-600 points. Imagine if you had 15 sentinels for that cheap price. Not only could you have 2 or 3 squads with lascannons to blow any tank sky high, and some with heavy flamers to cook hordes, but make them armoured sentinels instead of scouts and they are resistant to small arms fire and quite invincible in melee unless against nids or power fists.

If you are say catachan though, i would keep some scout sentinels with lascannon and outflank with them, come from the side and pop a tank on its weaker side armour, or infiltrate in cover.

Sentinels are also great because no morale checks, and it takes abit of concentrated fire to bring them down. If you include them in your command platoon then you still have the fast attack spaces free.

Zambia

EDIT: Yer got the new codex now so all good

Quote:
Originally Posted by jhontauel
4 lightening claws LMAO. wouldn't the inquisition get involved?
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jedibean
Killing terminators with flamers is like trying to stop a charging elephant with a fly swatter.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Genmotty
if your not going to change your ammo between battles then you deserve to be giving people rashes.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tetrino
Ah, that's a shame. It's kind of funny, because I'd imagine that running headfirst into a force field would pretty much ruin your initiative.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Fire at Will
Why not take over France? You could do it with a pistol, which in doing would make you the most armed man in the country.
Want to play Robot Wars using 40k Concepts? PM me for details on how you can get your FREE copy of the rules.
Lord Zambia is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02 Oct 2009, 11:30   #3 (permalink)
Shas'La

you can take sentinels in command sqauds???
Old 02 Oct 2009, 13:07   #4 (permalink)
Shas'Ui

Send a message via MSN to bloodfire

no you can't that was the old codex in the new codex the maximum amount of sentinels you can take is 9.

as for your questions I can't really say anything about that since I don't use sentinels.
(spending the points on chimera's instead)
But Isn't it funny to think that guard might be able to copy eldar tactics slightly?
You mean "Perform Eldar tactics better than Eldar", right? :P
Not unless the Eldar have an obscure Warrior Aspect that revolves around the complete mastery of the common light bulb.
Infected by Skaven
bloodfire is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02 Oct 2009, 14:58   #5 (permalink)
Shas'La

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kharvol
A) Are they simply worth it?
I love the Armored Sentinel! They have served me very well and the bulk of my opponets are SM and CSM.

Quote:
B) What is the best load out for a sentinel unit, that is still somewhat cheap, but still feared on the battle field?
Missile pods for a take all comers set up (less than 70pts), Las Canon for heavy armor (less than 75pts) , or Multi Lasers for hordes (less than 60pts),
Quote:
C) How do you field them in battle?
I use three in sepperate FOC slots, I place two with missile pods just close enough to support each other, and use a Las Canon Sentinel as a support unit where ever I need to beef up my anti armor fire.

I am your lighted way and I am your darkest day. -Godsmack
Saint is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02 Oct 2009, 18:08   #6 (permalink)
Shas'La

well I'm not sure if my opinion means much, since i have a minor obsession with the things (i have eight sentinels, but i dont have enough basic guardsmen models to make the compulsory two troop choices). still, in the combat patrol missions I've played i have found armoured sentinels to be very useful most of my opponents have meqs, so i usually use plasma cannons. in general I'd say autocannons or missile launchers are the best all rounders, but i like variety, so i always take at least two different weapon loadouts, usually 2 plasmacannons and a lascannon. it seems to work
mabbz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02 Oct 2009, 21:35   #7 (permalink)
Shas'Vre

I love the things but most things that they can do other units do better generally. For example a Vendetta with HB sponsons costs less than 3 Scout Sentinels with lascannons, is tougher, more accurate & can engage a wider variety of targets all while able to still move & shoot as well as outflank. A Leman Russ Executioner with PC sponsons is only 5 points more than 3 Armored Sentinels but has better protection & more firepower, even on the move.

If you're going to field them I recommend them kept cheap. The multi-laser is a very good weapon. If outflanked side armor of any non-Land Raider SM vehicles are quite killable as is most side armor of Guard vehicles & Devilfishes. Medium vehicles like Valkyries or Eldar vehicles can still be glanced though don't bother unless there's no other targets.

Against Marines it preforms better than either heavy bolters or autocannons, either wounding better or better ROF & since none of these can ignore power armor there's no real loss. Sure Guard still get armor saves but they're usually in cover anyways. Its against 4+ that HBs & ACs are superior.

For reference I run an Armored Sentinel squad with autocannons in my Cadian army & use them for general work or to tie up units for a turn or 2 & my SIGAFH I have 2 Scout squads with multi-lasers. They either form the core of my anti-infantry or outflank for side shots.

Acts of Faith - I choose to ignore your reality and substitute my own...for the Emperor.

Glory for the first man to die! CHARGE!
trex238 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03 Oct 2009, 03:12   #8 (permalink)
Shas'La

Well the main reason i was asking about sentinels is because im thinking of buying the Imperial gaurd battle force (the one with a sentinel, 2 squads of normal gaurd, 1 gaurd company command and 3 heavy weapon teams) and well the box is perfect for me to top up on my heavy weapons the extra infantry i need and also gives me my HQ choice, but i dont want to waste the sentinel....
Old 03 Oct 2009, 03:15   #9 (permalink)
Zen
Ethereal

Send a message via MSN to Zen

Depending on your weapons setup in your Infantry Squads, the Sentinels can fill the void. For example:

Platoon 1 - 5 Grenade Launchers and 5 Heavy Bolters; Anti-Horde Setup
Platoon 2 - 5 Meltaguns and 5 Lascannons; Anti-Tank Setup
Sentinels- 5 Armored Sentinels with Plasma Cannon; Anti-MEQ/TEQ Setup
Zen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03 Oct 2009, 08:51   #10 (permalink)
Shas'La

I like the Armored Sentinels, but I decided to give Scout Sentinels a try. They're definitely very useful, particularly with outflank!

Bringing 2-3 multilaser or lascannon sentinels onto the edge of the board behind enemy armor can do some serious damage. The drop in armor is definitely made up for by the cheaper cost and scout USR.