Chaos Daemons Codex 2013
Chaos Space Marines Codex 2012

Warhammer 40k Forum Tau Online

Warhammer 40K Forum

Gaurd Body Count
Old 17 Sep 2009, 11:44   #1 (permalink)
Shas'La

Default Gaurd Body Count

Well after some time off 40k im thinking of slowly getting back into it, and guess what? I think I may have developed a liking to Imperial Gaurd (Cadians for life ) Now Im thinking of doing a WW2 organised style army and I was thinking of how many bodies of standard imperial gaurdsmen would suffiice for 1750 point army? 40- 70- 120? I need some help, also help on an army list would help

I say this because the new Codex is out and I dont have it :P silly me, hehehehe.

Thanks, Much appreciated, Kharvol is back
Kharvol is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17 Sep 2009, 12:50   #2 (permalink)
Shas'El

Send a message via AIM to wonderboy
Default Re: Gaurd Body Count

well, depending on how much infantry you want in your army, i would say anywhere from 80-120. my 1000 pt list has about 65 troops, and i still have a tank and sentinels in there.

and for god's sake and my own please buy or at the least borrow a codex before starting these threads. just find a friend's codex or one at your local shop and run the numbers. im not bashing you specifically kharvol, but you get a thread like this about every other week.

2000 points
1500 points
my army lists.
wonderboy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17 Sep 2009, 19:02   #3 (permalink)
Kroot Shaper

Right, back in 4th with the 4th codex (I know I should get the 5h edition one, credit crunch has affected me badly) I would play my guard army and in about 100 point I was fielding about (can't remember off the top of my head) about 150 guys.....And they were very, very awesome...
Old 17 Sep 2009, 19:35   #4 (permalink)
Shas'Ui

Send a message via Yahoo to Hairy Grim

Quote:
Originally Posted by DeanRazorback
In about 100 point I was fielding about (can't remember off the top of my head) about 150 guys.....And they were very, very awesome...
I'd say they were awesome - only 2/3 of a point each!? :P

Anyways, I'd say it depends on how many tanks you want. If you're mad & want to go all-infantry, then somewhere around 120's good. If you just want to swarm, then you CAN fit in 320 of them, but then you're incapable of doing anything other than mass las-fire & Carnifexes, Wraithlords & Vehicles will simply charge through your army - though it does make enemy template weapons a lot more fun!
Old 18 Sep 2009, 21:48   #5 (permalink)
Shas'Ui

It depends on the kind of guard army you want, I go with the general rule of thumb (for a swarm army) that I just divide the number of points by 10 and that's how many infantry I'll feild. 1750 points, I'll feild 175 models and a tank or two.

And please, please- get the new codex
"They shall be my finest Cannon Fodder, these men who give themselves to me. Like clay I will mold them and in the furnace of war they will become cracked and broken. They will be of tissue paper and whimpy muscle. In tissue paper armor I clad them and with the mightiest flashlights they will be armed. They will be touched by every sort of plauge or disease to help further make them unhappy, all sickness will blight them. They will have almost no tactics, strategies, but lots of machines so that they can atleast stand up to a foe in battle. They are my tar pit against the Terror. They are the bulk of Humanity. They are my Imperial Guard and they will know much fear!"

A fortress circumvented ceases to be an obstacle. A fortress destroyed ceases to be a threat. Do not forget the difference.
- Attributed to Leman Russ

My armies may sleep, but big guns never tire.

Surrender - or die.
Typhon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19 Sep 2009, 13:53   #6 (permalink)
Shas'El

Typhons rule is a good placeto start. i runa 2000 points list with 200 infantry in it... its a god place tto start..

Welcome to the Suck Soldier
Old 19 Sep 2009, 14:16   #7 (permalink)
Zen
Ethereal

Send a message via MSN to Zen

I always like to have enough bodies so that my opponent will have a hard time mowing them down within a few turns and yet give me enough points to bring out Leman Russes, Sentinels etc. This is how much I bring for each point cost:

1-500 Points: 2 Veteran Squads
501-1000 Points: 2 Platoons of 3 Infantry Squads
1001-1500 Points: 2 Platoons of 4 Infantry Squads
1501-2000 Points: 2 Platoons of 5 Infantry Squads
Zen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20 Sep 2009, 08:49   #8 (permalink)
Shas'La

Cool thanks for the help Ill try and snatch a codex as quick as possible Oh and are Vets just good with mass Plasma or can I run any other weapon (no Melta's) with good efficiency and make them a feared unit on the battle field?
Kharvol is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21 Sep 2009, 08:34   #9 (permalink)
Shas'Vre

3 special weapons is deadly no matter what you choose. Quick rundown in my opinion. Note this is assuming you're going to use 3 of a kind or 2 flamers & a heavy flamer:

[table][tr][td]Weapon[/td][td]Pros[/td][td]Cons[/td][/tr]
[tr][td]Flamers[/td][td]excellent anti-horde weapon, lots of possible wounds[/td][td]wastes your BS4[/td][/tr]
[tr][td]Grenades[/td][td]flexible, cheap, wounds Marines on 2+[/td][td]specialized weapons can be more effective[/td][/tr]
[tr][td]Snipers[/td][td]BS4 snipers on troops, heavy bolter/stealth synergy[/td][td]loss of mobility[/td][/tr]
[tr][td]Plasma guns[/td][td]TEQ killer, light vehicle killer[/td][td]expensive, overheats[/td][/tr]
[tr][td]Meltaguns[/td][td]tank/MC terror, melta weapon, demolitions synergy[/td][td]single shot, short range[/td][/tr]
[tr][td]Hvy Flamer[/td][td]wounds MEQs on 3+, synergy with flamers[/td][td]EXPENSIVE, wound allocation antics on 4+ armor units[/td][/tr]
[/table]

If you do go plasma crazy I HIGHLY recommend the Grenadiers doctrine. Even BS4 isn't immune to rolling 1's on Gets Hot! weapons so having a decent save goes a long way to protecting your investment. Also the heavy flamer is a waste. 3 regular flamers is a much better choice.

Acts of Faith - I choose to ignore your reality and substitute my own...for the Emperor.

Glory for the first man to die! CHARGE!
trex238 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09 Oct 2009, 07:59   #10 (permalink)
Kroot Shaper

I haven't collected Guard but I saw a clip on YouTube by Blue Table Painting. In the clip, a mostly infantry 2000pt guard army had 150 men! Crazy.