Warhammer 40k Forum Tau Online

Warhammer 40K Forum

IG Air cavalry...
Old 04 Sep 2009, 16:12   #1 (permalink)
Shas'Ui

Default IG Air cavalry...

Hi guys,

just a quick question really

In an IG air cavarly army of 500-750pts, how many veteran squads would probably get (not including officers and considering they would all be in valkyries)
I dont want a huge army of models you see , thats why I ask, if there's millions then I wont do guard
cheers
Old 04 Sep 2009, 18:57   #2 (permalink)
Shas'Vre

Send a message via MSN to Hoarday
Default Re: IG Air cavalry...

At that many points you'd probably be hard pressed to get in much more than 30 infantry models and 3 valkyries. Probably looking at about 400 for the transports, over 200 for a pair of vet squads after you equip them and then at least another 50 for a command squad
Old 04 Sep 2009, 19:14   #3 (permalink)
Shas'La

Minimally, you could do 2 Vet Squads + Commissar Lord in 2 Valkyries, with no upgrades or special weapons, at 410 points. That gives you room for some special weapons on the vets and upgrades on the Valkyries.

At the 750 pt mark, 3 Valkyries w/ 3 well upgraded squads and a Commissar Lord is almost possible, but you won't be maxxing it.

A single Veteran squad in a Valkyrie will be 170 pts at minimum, about 260 with one doctrine, some special weapons and some valk upgrades, to around 350 points at maximum (but thats using every possible expensive upgrade and wasting a lot of points that won't get you any real effectiveness).
Old 06 Sep 2009, 20:48   #4 (permalink)
Shas'Ui

I know this sounds kinda stupid... but I wanted to do a Band of Brothers 'tribute' army

thanks for the basic lists, but the commissar one is out, the men of E company wern't shot by their COs, (except maybe Spiers... )

hmmm, I'll certainly consider these lists, cheers
Old 07 Sep 2009, 09:29   #5 (permalink)
Shas'La

Quote:
Originally Posted by MrFortunato
I know this sounds kinda stupid... but I wanted to do a Band of Brothers 'tribute' army
Interesting concept, though I must say, Air Cav and Airborne are fairly different. Airborne don't drop into fights, usually - they drop behind enemy lines, regroup, then assault from the rear/flank.

If your goal is Air Cav, then ignore the rest. But if your goal is a BoB tribute army, then consider this (which is what I would do):

Company Command Squad w/ Creed (Capt. Winters)
for Creed's Tactical Genius ability, to outflank a unit (either another, or his own)
+ Master of Ordnance (call in support artillery)
+ Astropath (guide in those reserves)

Infantry Platoon w/ Al'Rahem (Any of Winter's officers platoon sergeants except Spiers and Bull)
Make it a large platoon to contain the bulk of your forces. It will outflank. It's one roll for the platoon to come on, but not all units need to enter from the same table edge!

Veteran Squad w/ Harker (Lt Spiers)
for his Catachan Devils ability, to outflank the unit. These are your go-to heavy hitters. These guys will also have to be obviously different from the rest because of the Veteran stat line.

Guardsman Marbo (I think it represents "Bull" and his actions at Nuenen)

Anything else you pick starts on the table, representing forward elements that begin engaged.

Some additions to consider:

* Ratlings (counts-as, use snipers)
* Storm Troopers (w/ any of the 3 special operations as you see fit)
* Scout Sentinels - Definitely a 40k Airborne AND Air Cav force would use these; too bad Valkyries can't carry them.
* Some Chimeras, Tanks, or Hellhounds - sometimes E Company was on foot accompanying tanks. A unit of tanks or hellhounds could even come in outflank w/ Castellan's special ability
* Valkyries - I'd keep these to a minimum, but no harm in using them. Probably better as supporting units, deep strike later in game. Also gives you a way to deep strike in other units

Something worth noting: on a pure Infantry Squad vs Veteran Squad (i.e, no upgrades, special weapons, etc), the two are practically identical in point cost kill efficiency vs a variety of targets.

You may not be so fond of the use of special characters, but they're necessary to bring out the armies theme, and are somewhat fitting counts-as (via rules, not necessarily via fluff). Granted though, that's 280 points of special characters here...

Edit: wrote 'Castellan' and I meant to put 'Creed'
Old 07 Sep 2009, 17:46   #6 (permalink)
Shas'Ui

cheers for the ideas for a list...

hmmm, since i want a small army, im talking 500-750 preferably, 1000 at a real push
I say i'd have to give the characters a miss :/, still though, i could get normal officers and give them some sort of background , eg, for spiers, killed 25 Tau PoWs, ???

thats just an idea, but you get what i mean , also, i could use fluff for how they perform in battle, to add another action to Spiers repetoir...
Old 07 Sep 2009, 20:32   #7 (permalink)
Shas'La

Well the main purpose behind the characters was to drive the theme through the rules they bring.

If you only played one character to give you theme-bolstering rules, I'd say use Al'Rahem so you can get a huge outflanking force through an Infantry Platoon (PCS, 5 squads, SWS, HWS)
Old 11 Sep 2009, 15:08   #8 (permalink)
Shas'Ui

hmmm, having a good think about this...
Quote:
Originally Posted by Maine
Minimally, you could do 2 Vet Squads + Commissar Lord in 2 Valkyries, with no upgrades or special weapons, at 410 points. That gives you room for some special weapons on the vets and upgrades on the Valkyries.
I've had a new idea, Elysian drop troops (at the 500pt mark) to cut costs, althought, rather than a commisar lord, i still think i'd prefer a command squad... could that replace the lord and fill in the points he leaves behind?
Old 11 Sep 2009, 18:42   #9 (permalink)
Shas'La

2 Vet Squads, 1 CCS (which are Vets as well), and 3 Valkyries, with NO upgrades at all, is 490 points. That leaves you 10 points to buy special or heavy weapons, unless one of those squads walks.

It's possible, but I wouldn't recommend it - you'll have 22 lasguns, 3 las pistols, 3 multilasers, and 6 Ordnance missiles (which are not blast).

The reason I recommend the Commisar Lord is because he's an HQ choice and an IC so he can join one of the Vet squads. You can twist the fluff on the rule - he's a counts-as Commissar, and the model killed for failing morale test is 'dead' for other reasons - sent off for reinforcements, shot by the enemy, broke under combat and is useless, etc.

Never be discouraged by a rule that seems out of place for your theme; you can always twist the fluff to try to make things fit.
Old 11 Sep 2009, 19:23   #10 (permalink)
Shas'Ui

cheers for that , you've been alot of help
couple more things
1) what about elysians?, do you reckon they are worth it? (cash wise)
here are the prices...
Elysian cmd squad
(2) Elysian troop squads
(3) valkyries
...an eye watering £200 *looks in shock*, my wallet has actually collapsed in upon itself and become a black hole....
Cadian airborne
Cadian cmd squad
(2) cadian squads
(3) Valkyries
not as bad, £140 ish
currently i have quite a bit in my bank account, i can afford either , but i dunno which to choose... which would you go for? Elysians or Cadian airborne?
how much would it cost to upgrade a valk to a vendetta?, (thats Lascannons all over it right?) it's always useful to have anti-tank somewhere...
also, im not too familiar with the cadian models, i was thinking to fit with the fluff, if i went with cadia rather than elysia, of attaching the grav-chutes to the back, which FW sell seperatly, would they fit flush and look correct on cadian backs? i assume that cadians dont carry anything on their back except for the vox dude...