Chaos Daemons Codex 2013
Chaos Space Marines Codex 2012

Warhammer 40k Forum Tau Online

Warhammer 40K Forum

starting IG mech
Old 30 Aug 2009, 07:27   #1 (permalink)
Kroot Warrior

Default starting IG mech

i have finally found a second army to collect i would just like some pointers on my mech list and do they still have armoured fist squads?
fio_caste is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30 Aug 2009, 07:41   #2 (permalink)
Shas'El

Default Re: starting IG mech

You can't get armoured fists anymore but you can buy a veteran squad and stick them in a chimera.

Try maxing out a squad with flamers and drop 5 templates without ever diwembarking (2 from the chimera+3 from the veteran). Though remember heavy weapons aren't great with mech as if you move the tank they can't shoot. thankfully we have the biggest range of tanks in the game to choose from.

Also an excecutioner with plasma sponsons, though expensice, more than makes up for it's points cost.
Old 31 Aug 2009, 22:34   #3 (permalink)
Shas'Saal

Send a message via AIM to AfrikA Send a message via Yahoo to AfrikA

All normal infantry squads can also get a chimera upgrade for allot cheaper than the old armored fist, about 35 points cheaper. Veterans in a chimera is also cheaper points wise than the old armored fist squad by 25 points,even if they take carapace armor or demolitions upgrade.

Mech IG is realy fun to play. It's a good way to get heavy flamers, melta guns, demo charges to targets and watch the fireworks.

Like Unholy Harbinger pointed out, Veterans is where it's at for mech IG. They can have doctrines(grenadier and/or demo), crazy amounts of special weapons, they are scoring units, and they can actually hit targets when they shoot.

Yeah, infantry heavy weapons aren't as useful in mech list, it's all about special weapons for infantry and tanks bringing the big guns. The kind of big guns that can blow a squad of SMurfs off the table per shot, and that is just the basic tank.

Don't forget the Valkyrie (fast skimmer transport), it's dirt cheap for what it can being to a fight. It gives IG near eldar speed, but with more firepower and less survivability.

With the heavy support choices for IG you will loose your mind. All of the choices are useful, and some more specialized than others. For me choosing heavy support is hard, because I just want to field every thing! but I can't.

Read the Codex and see what you think.

"This plan is so perfect it's retarded."
AfrikA is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01 Sep 2009, 00:07   #4 (permalink)
Shas'La

One word of warning - once you get all the vehicles of a good mech list on the table, you will end up creating some serious traffic jams. Dawn of War deployment can be hell!

My current 2K list is:

Company Command in Chimera
2 Infantry Platoons w/ Platoon Command and 2 Squads each, in Chimeras
3 Russes
3 Basilisks
3 Sentinels

(mainly because my Valkyries weren't done yet, and my ATV Rough Riders are still in progress).

That's 16 vehicles, which can create a frontage of 5 feet of Front-Armor. when they roll onto the table - assuming no terrain at the edge blocks it!

Be ready to deal with your own vehicles getting in the way of each other. You'll need to plan out who moves when and where. One immobilized vehicle in a narrow passage can create a roadblock. Your opponent will probably be hoping for Immobilize rather than Destroyed results in terrain heavy boards. In particular, even if you use Platoons, the Chimeras aren't in a squadron together so they will block line of sight for each other. You can use this to your advantage, but it can also be a hindrance.

In short: playing heavy mech list is like playing a shape puzzle game at times.

That said, I love my Mech Steel Legion even more than ever!
Old 01 Sep 2009, 16:57   #5 (permalink)
Shas'Saal

Send a message via AIM to AfrikA Send a message via Yahoo to AfrikA

Replace some Chimeras with Valkyries and it will help with traffic jam problems.

"This plan is so perfect it's retarded."
AfrikA is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01 Sep 2009, 19:50   #6 (permalink)
Shas'La

Quote:
Originally Posted by AfrikA
Replace some Chimeras with Valkyries and it will help with traffic jam problems.
Which is something I said I was going to do in the post.

However, some people (like me) prefer tracked vehicles over skimmers.