Chaos Space Marines Codex 2012

Warhammer 40k Forum Tau Online

Warhammer 40K Forum

The Deathstrike Missile Overview
Old 27 Aug 2009, 20:48   #1 (permalink)
Shas'Ui

Default The Deathstrike Missile Overview

The single most powerful weapon system in the game - The Deathstrike Missile

What is the Deathstrike Missile Launcher?

Simply put the Deathstrike is a mobile ICBM (intercontinental Balisitic Missile) launcher used by the Imperial Guard and Tech Guard as part of Heavy Artillery Companies. The origin of the Deathstrike Missile Launcher dates back to 1995 EPIC, or Space Marine by some. Easily able to strike targets on the other side of the planet or in low orbit it was a frequent sight in most EPIC battle reports where it had an anti titan role. It has recently been added to the Warhammer 40'000 game as other EPIC vehicles have been in the past. The Leman Russ, Thunder Bolt, Baneblade, Thunderhawk, and Hellhound all started life as EPIC models.

The Deathstrike Missile is a much maligned choice by many IG players. I'm going to attempt to make a case for its use and effectiveness. We have a potential a 12" blast, that ignores cover. Hits on vehicles in the area of the Deathstrike Missile are not calculated at half strength but at S10 + 2d6 pick highest against every vehicle in that blast with a plus 1 to the damage chart for AP1. Yes, outflankers will try and get to them before they fire. Yes, your opponet will target them. Yes, they will likely not get a shot off before turn three. So you need to bulk some cheap troops in the area to stop deepstrike and flanking. This is the single most powerful weapon system in the game.

What are some of the disadvatages of a Deathstrike Missile

- It has one shot per game
- It can be unreliable,
- It costs 160 points
- It cannot fire on the first turn and has weal backup weaponry
- For the price of a Deathstrike you can get a two Griffons or a tooled up Basilisk or a Medusa or Collosus .
- Can scatter 2D6
- It does not ignore Inv saves so MCs and Eternal Wariors do not fear it.

What are the advantages of having a Deathstrike Missile

- Ordnance barrage, d3+3 blast, which is a maximum blast of 12" across
- Near infinite range
- Ignores cover saves
- Has a stength 10, AP 1 blast even against partially hit vehicles. .
- Guess range does not require LoS
- You need to destroy it completely to destroy the weapon itself.

What are some of the uses and tactics of a Deathstrike Missile

Now this little missile can dramatically alter the mid to late game. It will often wipe out a scoring troop sitting on an objective. It will force your opponent to readjust his strategy knowing that once you roll successfully for the strike, he is is in for a ot of pain. Castling up becomes a whole lot more dangerous. Those Terminators and PMs don't look so untouchable now. Invincible Land Raiders are no longer invincible.

It will shine against a shooty list and against a mech list, it is an AP1 strike against their toughest tanks at Stregnth 10 with 2D6 pick highest even if the blast marker is slightly off target. Making those Termies in a Land Raider walk across the board can be very good. Now maybe because I played Orks the randomness of the Deathstrike bothers me less then the dedicated IG players out there. I can deal with a bit of randomness for a large payout.

Summing up the Deathstrike

So let's sum this up; It's a 8-12" blast 'zone', inside of which, no cover saves are allowed and all hits (not just the one under the hole) are S10 AP1. It is Ordnance so even Land Raiders will fall to this barrage.All troops and light vehicles simply won't survive. I can see why no one uses them? After all you only get to fire it once. But hey, usually, that's all you have to fire it. Consider the effects of multiple Deathstrike Missiles, now.

If you can keep it hidden and present more immediate threats, the Death Strike will deliver a ridiculously powerful payload. Your dropping an AP1 Str 10 pie plate of doom and then some. They work. Just hide it well- make your enemy have to come to it. Never bring a knife to a gunfight, but always bring an ICBM to a skirmish. Cover saves are your friend.

It has a potent psychological affect. A tactical nuclear weapon is going to screaming to shoot everything they have at it. Hidden it takes a lot of firepower to kill. Most players will react strongly when they see three powerful weapons on the table, and the first reaction is generally fear. Don't dismiss them lightly.

What type of list can a Deathstrike Missile be effective in

If you are going to use Deathstrikes then spam them. Here is a list that I'm using from YTTH.

G.I.JOrks

CCS w/Autocannon 60

2X
Platoon Command 30
Combined Infantry Squad x2, 2 Autocannons 120
Special Weapon Squad, 2 Demo. 75

2X
Vendetta Gunship Squadron 130

3X
Deathstrike Missile Launcher 160

Just keep adding SW Squads and Vendettas up until 1750 points. Now this is a tested list. It works because you can scout those Vendettas forward taking out tanks and transports and demo the passengers. Your large infantry squads provide a nice buffer zone firing off their autocannons. Now the list will sometimes 'fail' but at 1250 points two good deathstrike shots can take out two thirds of your opponent's army if he doesn't spread himself out thinly. What does this mean?

A lot of armies are built to overload and destroy a flank. They rely on multiple units supporting each other. They need to be careful when facing Deathstrikes. A potential 12" diameter blast can take out multiple targets easily if they don't separate their squads properly. This can really mess with a game plan.

The downside is that I played a game and rolled two sets of 2 on turn five and the game ended! If just one had gone off the game would have been in my grasp or if I had one more turn ... you get the picture. So yes, it is a big gamble fielding three Deathstrikes and it is a very big payoff when the dice favor you. I happen to love a klkn game.

Just as an update. I'm trying to get some of the old grot bomba launchers from FW and convert them to Deathstrikes. I'm also thinking abput Vendettas with deffkopta blades. If I'm going to field Orks as IG I'm going to have fun doing it.

Have I convinced you to use them yet?

bebe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27 Aug 2009, 20:55   #2 (permalink)
Shas'El

Default Re: The Deathstike Missile Overview

How did you get 12" blast?
It is D3+3" so a maximum of 3"+3"= 6" which is slightly larger than a large blast (1").

Minor point you didn't mention it's minimum range but I suppose that doesn't matter. Also where you said guess range it should be barrage as guess range is being removed.

Other than those it is a nice good guide to the deathstrike. I might try one and see how it goes.
Old 27 Aug 2009, 20:58   #3 (permalink)
Shas'Ui

It's RADIUS is D3 + 3. So if you roll a three it's radius is 6" with a DIAMETER of 12". The large blast marker has a 5.5" circumference. Quite a difference, no?
Old 27 Aug 2009, 21:00   #4 (permalink)
Shas'El

Default Re: The Deathstrike Missile Overview

Oh I see. Hmmm. It suddenly seems a lot better.
Old 27 Aug 2009, 21:04   #5 (permalink)
Ethereal

Yep. It is really more of an Apocalypse weapon.

But I disagree that it is a good idea to spam them. Mainly because you are really stripping away your ability to defend them. And it isn't just a question of protecting them from attack. A fast enemy is just going to ignore them while closing with the rest of your army. Once they get into your lines, you aren't going to be able to drop the templates without killing a lot of your own troops. And a mounted army really isn't going to care, either. Each shot is definitely going to take out most transports, but not until they have already done their job. And you still only have a ~50% chance of doing anything significant if you penetrate.
khanaris is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27 Aug 2009, 21:21   #6 (permalink)
Shas'Ui

Well, I actually proxied up the list for giggles and it worked out very well. I now want to paint up the list properly. I used Orks as IG for my proxies - I feel it appropriate. Yes, we do not want the opponent getting too close. Hence we scout the Vendettas with the SW teams and slowly move everything else forward. I never once hit anything but a lone SW squad which had already dropped its demos. The thing is the Vendettas can take out the tanks and the SW squads its occupants followed up by autocannon goodness.

I played two games with the list and both my opponents had a 'blast' facing it. In fact my gaming group is waiting for me to paint up the force and play it regularly (which will not happen as I love my Eldar) so I will get around to fielding it once a month eventually. I stole the list from YTTH - I confess - and just altered it for 1250 points as it will not be my primary army.

No doubt you could field a single Deathstrike and it might win you a game. But that is riskier to me than fielding two or three. You know with three you are going to get off a couple of shots to devastating effect. Ypou just need to be careful when moving your troops around.

Oh yes, minimum range is 12" and maximum is the guys troops in his case when he enters the store. Try and beat him before he empties his case.
Old 27 Aug 2009, 21:31   #7 (permalink)
Shas'El

Send a message via AIM to Gada Mazaha Send a message via MSN to Gada Mazaha

Quote:
Originally Posted by CanaBebe
It's RADIUS is D3 + 3. So if you roll a three it's radius is 6" with a CIRCUMFERENCE of 12". The large blast marker has a 5.5" circumference. Quite a difference, no?
You're actually thinking of the diameter, circumference is the outer distance of a circle. :P

Interesting. It certainly looks like more of a fun game weapon than I'd try for any type of competitive play. I might have to give it a go sometime!
Gada Mazaha is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27 Aug 2009, 21:37   #8 (permalink)
Shas'Ui

Indeed I meant diameter. Apologies. I corrected the post.

Quote:
Interesting. It certainly looks like more of a fun game weapon than I'd try for any type of competitive play. I might have to give it a go sometime!
It's your magic fairy wand, Gada. You wave it and 'POOF' something disappears off the board. It certainly can fit into a competitive build but it needs support and a FOC that works well with it. I'm not advocating it's use any list, lol. I'm just remarking that it can be incredibly effective at times. I like to gamble. I've always enjpoyed the random aspects of 40k and now guard has one.
Old 28 Aug 2009, 00:12   #9 (permalink)
Shas'O

I was under the impression that it was technically an immobile vehicle with 4 (possibly more but I recall it being 4) shots from a singular weapon/launcher.

If it's a vehicle with a launcher then you just need a single weapon destroyed or immobilized result to rid yourself of it's nuisance.

Seventh Sanctum signature oddities.
Alignment: Neutral Pessimistic
Area of Magical Study: Practical Chronomancy
Favorite Spells: Divine Spell of the Cotton Candy Golem and Field of Bacon.

Proud supporter of Joe Wood!

Makes this your one good deed a day.
http://www.thehungersite.com/
enderwiggin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28 Aug 2009, 00:42   #10 (permalink)
Shas'Ui

Not in this case. It has a special rule. You need to destroy the vehicle or all you do is possibly delay the firing a turn ( a -1 modifier ).