Chaos Daemons Codex 2013
Chaos Space Marines Codex 2012

Warhammer 40k Forum Tau Online

Warhammer 40K Forum

Any other role for platoons?
Old 27 Aug 2009, 18:24   #1 (permalink)
Shas'Vre

Default Any other role for platoons?

Other than sitting back on an objective and shooting?

Advancing on objective?
spearheading assaults?
outflanking?
Knight Actual is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27 Aug 2009, 21:19   #2 (permalink)
Zen
Ethereal

Send a message via MSN to Zen
Default Re: Any other role for platoons?

Quote:
Advancing on objective?
After you neutralize any threats and you have a clear path towards the intended objective.

Quote:
spearheading assaults?
They are your Scoring units. You want them to die last. As such, you want the bigger stuff to clear the way; Tanks, Rough Riders, Ogryns etc.

Quote:
outflanking?
Only if you have Al'rahem.
Zen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30 Aug 2009, 10:37   #3 (permalink)
Shas'O

Send a message via MSN to Jeff Send a message via Yahoo to Jeff

Ah line blocking

Meat sheild

Meat Grinder

Tank hunting (60 points for a squad with melta gun... walk em forward till you hit tanks!)

Massed lasgun fire (135 lasgun shots from FRFSRF combined squad with no upgrades + pistols)

Mobile objectives takers...

Look outside the box. Try some different setups.
Old 08 Sep 2009, 07:10   #4 (permalink)
Kroot Warrior

the only proper use for a guards men platoon is 1 thing and one thing only.
put them in a nice pretty firing line behinde cover and let them die like guards men. this should cause a well enough distraction for your veteran squads to claim objectives
Old 08 Sep 2009, 10:50   #5 (permalink)
Shas'O

Send a message via MSN to Jeff Send a message via Yahoo to Jeff

You assume people use both choices.

I have yet to see a guard army on the table using both veterans and a platoon. every IG army I have faced has one or the other.

Mind you my elysians use both though, just dont see it in other people.
Old 08 Sep 2009, 11:11   #6 (permalink)
Shas'Ui

1 large platoon, and 1 vet squad for one of my lists.

The platoon is just for mobbing, and the HWT's are the main part of my army. The vets walk behind and melta anything that gets too close.

Darth_Riah is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08 Sep 2009, 17:34   #7 (permalink)
Kroot Warrior

Quote:
Originally Posted by The_Prophet

I have yet to see a guard army on the table using both veterans and a platoon. every IG army I have faced has one or the other.

I beg to differ sir, I play a purely mixed list myself between a full platoon and veteran squads mounted in chimeras.( personally i like to arm them with three plasma guns per squad)
The main mass of troops usually soaks the fire and the veteran squads run around and take care of the "dirty" work. This is how i counter tau that think there broadsides are safe hiding behind cover.
Old 08 Sep 2009, 20:48   #8 (permalink)
Shas'Ui

My 2500 point ard boyz army this year was composed of almost nothing but infantry- and two leman russ tanks. I like to send my infantry forward in three waves. Wave 1 is a platoon of fifty with nothing but flamers and FRSSRF! They soften resistance and act as meat sheilds. Wave 2 kills tanks and are infnatry squads armed with meltaguns and krakgrenades. Wave 3 mops up with three vetran squads spamming plasma (also make great MC killers). And finally wave 4 is armed to the teef' with heavy weapons, moving forward to capture objectives when both me (and my opponent) have been anihalated. This army is very effective as there's not much that can stop 250 guardsmen.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Veteran_Pack
Quote:
Originally Posted by The_Prophet

I beg to differ sir, I play a purely mixed list myself between a full platoon and veteran squads mounted in chimeras.( personally i like to arm them with three plasma guns per squad)
The main mass of troops usually soaks the fire and the veteran squads run around and take care of the "dirty" work. This is how i counter tau that think there broadsides are safe hiding behind cover.
I run something like this all the time- my vetrans are my elite and hence will tackle the elite of my opponents army, this usually means spamming plasma. (It kills TEQ, MEQ, and MC's, sounds like a taco, tex mex...never mind)
"They shall be my finest Cannon Fodder, these men who give themselves to me. Like clay I will mold them and in the furnace of war they will become cracked and broken. They will be of tissue paper and whimpy muscle. In tissue paper armor I clad them and with the mightiest flashlights they will be armed. They will be touched by every sort of plauge or disease to help further make them unhappy, all sickness will blight them. They will have almost no tactics, strategies, but lots of machines so that they can atleast stand up to a foe in battle. They are my tar pit against the Terror. They are the bulk of Humanity. They are my Imperial Guard and they will know much fear!"

A fortress circumvented ceases to be an obstacle. A fortress destroyed ceases to be a threat. Do not forget the difference.
- Attributed to Leman Russ

My armies may sleep, but big guns never tire.

Surrender - or die.
Typhon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09 Sep 2009, 06:28   #9 (permalink)
Kroot Warrior

@typhon

yes the three plasma gun veteran squads have been the bane of many armies i have played agiansts the most memarable being when a crimson fist player peeled open two chimeras with my beloved "plasma Love" veteran squads, which he didnt know were mounted in the chimeras, unfortunatley for him pedro and his 500 point honor guard didnt survive 6 plasma guns rapiding firing, yes amazingly all 12 shots hit and all wounded i dont think i will ever roll that well in my life agian his face was the reddest i think i will ever see it when the back bone of his army died to guardsmen . . . it got even redder when he found out what Straken and a ministrum priest with and eviserator can do to sternguard veterans muahaha
Old 12 Sep 2009, 02:21   #10 (permalink)
Shas'Ui

Quote:
Originally Posted by Veteran_Pack
@typhon

yes the three plasma gun veteran squads have been the bane of many armies i have played agiansts the most memarable being when a crimson fist player peeled open two chimeras with my beloved "plasma Love" veteran squads, which he didnt know were mounted in the chimeras, unfortunatley for him pedro and his 500 point honor guard didnt survive 6 plasma guns rapiding firing, yes amazingly all 12 shots hit and all wounded i dont think i will ever roll that well in my life agian his face was the reddest i think i will ever see it when the back bone of his army died to guardsmen . . . it got even redder when he found out what Straken and a ministrum priest with and eviserator can do to sternguard veterans muahaha
You gotta love 'um .
"They shall be my finest Cannon Fodder, these men who give themselves to me. Like clay I will mold them and in the furnace of war they will become cracked and broken. They will be of tissue paper and whimpy muscle. In tissue paper armor I clad them and with the mightiest flashlights they will be armed. They will be touched by every sort of plauge or disease to help further make them unhappy, all sickness will blight them. They will have almost no tactics, strategies, but lots of machines so that they can atleast stand up to a foe in battle. They are my tar pit against the Terror. They are the bulk of Humanity. They are my Imperial Guard and they will know much fear!"

A fortress circumvented ceases to be an obstacle. A fortress destroyed ceases to be a threat. Do not forget the difference.
- Attributed to Leman Russ

My armies may sleep, but big guns never tire.

Surrender - or die.
Typhon is offline   Reply With Quote