Chaos Space Marines Codex 2012

Warhammer 40k Forum Tau Online

Warhammer 40K Forum

new to guard
Old 21 Aug 2009, 13:39   #1 (permalink)
Shas'Saal

Send a message via MSN to nidziller
Default new to guard

hi I'm goona collect guard but I have a question.

Is a assaulty, mobile, close quater army viable? As I think the idea of overwhelming the enemy with chimerers and other tanks. If so, then what is the best way to defend objectives for a long period of time?
Old 21 Aug 2009, 14:05   #2 (permalink)
Kroot Warrior

Default Re: new to guard

In my opinion the guard can make an mediocre assault army unless you bring numbers to bare and charge. In close quarters shoot outs theirs are a lot of war gear you can give your squads to make them a threat. and mobility isn't a hard thing to do plenty of chimeras and Valkyrie drop ships can add that needed mobility. so I think your idea is possible it's just not the way i play (iv'e had more luck playing static guard). and my favorite way to hold objectives is using stormtroopers to prevent them from taking it usually giving me the time i need to get one of my platoons up their to get the objective.
darthjj93 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21 Aug 2009, 14:16   #3 (permalink)
Shas'El

Close quartars fighting (not CC) is where guard excel as a platoon of 20 can put out 60 shots with orders and also long range artillery will help keep pesky enemy units down so you can get to them. I play a sort of guard where i have a fire base made of tanks and heavy weapon teams while my platoons advance to midfield to provide rapid fire and my veterans run around shooting 3 flamers out of a chimera burning squads left right and center.

I am actually writing a battle report for them now so you will be able to see how they perform.
Old 25 Aug 2009, 06:20   #4 (permalink)
Shas'Saal

Can you put heavy weapons teams in chimera?
Old 25 Aug 2009, 06:43   #5 (permalink)
Shas'El

I believe you can but if the chimera moves they count as moving.
Old 25 Aug 2009, 20:18   #6 (permalink)
Shas'Saal

are they troop chooices becuase it would be good if they could hold objectives, if not they can still contest them and support the holders right? Can chimerers hold objectives? I have an idea for an army that lets the whole army attack one objective at the time and sets up lots of fortifications on each one (ie HW squad, the chimera and a veteran sqaud). then the rest of the army (LR, , veterens, Storm troopers, HQ etc) on to the next objective and so forth.
Old 25 Aug 2009, 20:28   #7 (permalink)
Shas'El

Technically the chimera has no FOC slot as it is a dedicated transport and must be taken that way so it can contest but not hold objectives.
Old 25 Aug 2009, 20:54   #8 (permalink)
Shas'El

They are yes, but they count towards the composition of a Infantry Platoon, so you'll need your Platoon Command Squad (to command the Platoon of Infantry) - Infantry Squads, Heavy Weapons Squads, Special Weapons Squads and Conscripts. The Infantry Platoon section elaborates this better - (See Page 96 of the IG codex, just below Infantry Platoon.)

Dark Adeptus is offline   Reply With Quote