Chaos Daemons Codex 2013
Chaos Space Marines Codex 2012

Warhammer 40k Forum Tau Online

Warhammer 40K Forum

improving ones odds
Old 20 Aug 2009, 15:09   #1 (permalink)
Kroot Warrior

Default improving ones odds

when i am playing as the guard my main counter to any of my opponents armer is my ordinance mainly my Medusa's with bastion-breacher shells but i have been trying to take the luck out of me hitting them but i'm starting to loose again and i know their has to be a way reduce my dependency on them and i think i'm almost their. but i'm asking if this is a good idea can i completely go away from ordinance or will it always play a roll in my army let me know.

-thanks
darthjj93 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20 Aug 2009, 15:36   #2 (permalink)
Shas'El

Default Re: improving ones odds

Well i have only played guard a short while and i used to play without any type of ordanance barrage which i find vital against buildings that block LOS. Though Medusas are ordanance so they cannot do this ordanance will always play a role in your army , you can make it without but that denies you the most powerful weapons guard has to offer.
Old 20 Aug 2009, 16:24   #3 (permalink)
Shas'El

Send a message via AIM to Tausand sun Send a message via Yahoo to Tausand sun

I always use my tanks, right now it's a single leman russ with lascannon, but if what you want is JUST to take out armor, and LOS is a problem you have a lot of options:

- Scout Sentinel with lascannon
- Small Storm trooper squad with two melta guns
- Vendetta Gunship
- Devildog
- Al reheem lets you outflank almost anything

Now IMHO your artillery is there to knock out infantry, Heavy or light, so I wouldn't be using it as tank hunting stuff when there is so much more you can use to take out armor. Oh and try out the colossus, marines don't like it. Or the manticore, it makes Tau, orks, gaurd, vehicles, eldar, tyrannids, pretty much anything but marines dissapear. it's also a good tank killer, but I wouldn't be using a manticore as a tank hunter, as it's just wasted in that role.
"The Imperium has abandoned us brothers! And these blue-skinned "saviors" seek only to enslave us. Follow me and march to freedom so we might transform the galaxy into a peaceful place for all sentient species!" -- Commander Alexander of the 88th Aldarian Phoenix Regiment
Tausand sun is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20 Aug 2009, 23:23   #4 (permalink)
Kroot Warrior

well thank you for the good ideas I playd a battle today and the manticore playd a key roll in my victory. Havent had a chance to use the clossus yet but i should be playing a black templar army monday and I hope it gets me a win.
Old 21 Aug 2009, 00:43   #5 (permalink)
Shas'El

Send a message via AIM to wonderboy

consistancy is the word of the day.

just because somthing works once, doesnt mean it always will and vice versa. that is the great thing about the guard. we have easily the most choices when it comes to things like this.

and when you find whats best for you, stick to it. it cant rain every day.

but again, for the price of one colossus, you can get two griffons, and those are almost my new favorite for their price.

2000 points
1500 points
my army lists.
wonderboy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21 Aug 2009, 11:22   #6 (permalink)
Shas'El

Send a message via AIM to Tausand sun Send a message via Yahoo to Tausand sun

well the manticore is essentially D3 Griffins per turn for the price of two, and with higher str. So, more damage, more easily hidden. Less accurate. now nine Griffions would be expensive points and $, but with accurate bombardment, that'd be a sight to be hold.
"The Imperium has abandoned us brothers! And these blue-skinned "saviors" seek only to enslave us. Follow me and march to freedom so we might transform the galaxy into a peaceful place for all sentient species!" -- Commander Alexander of the 88th Aldarian Phoenix Regiment
Tausand sun is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21 Aug 2009, 12:47   #7 (permalink)
Kroot Warrior

thanks again for the new ideas and strategy they have helped develop my army in what I hope is a better fighting force.
Old 23 Aug 2009, 01:04   #8 (permalink)
Shas'O

Location: That bitter taste in the back of your throat, the one kinda wrapped around your uvula that is all that's left of your Pride.

if its anti armour you want, i would suggest the vendetta gunship, blisteringly quick and 3 TL Lascannons, i regularly face two and they are the bane of my hybrid tau army.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Shas'o Ahab
In parting, I've discovered why Farsight started his breakaway faction...
*Farsight looks at Dawn Blade* "Shiny..."*Farsight picks up Dawn Blade and looks around* "... let's be bad guys."
Quote:
Originally Posted by The man they call Waffles
Jayne you y'xa'uuk legend
The Man They Call Jayne is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23 Aug 2009, 02:58   #9 (permalink)
Shas'O

Send a message via MSN to Jeff Send a message via Yahoo to Jeff

Why is LoS a problem?