Chaos Space Marines Codex 2012

Warhammer 40k Forum Tau Online

Warhammer 40K Forum

New Ig army lots of Questions ^^
Old 19 Aug 2009, 04:08   #1 (permalink)
Kroot Shaper

Default New Ig army lots of Questions ^^

Hey all,
So its was just my birthday and I have been wanting to start an IG army for a long time. I have had a bassilisk for about 8 months because I love the modle Its all painted up and fits well into my armys fluff and style. I got some other stuff for my birthday.

List of Troops
X3 infantry squads/vetren squads
X1 bassie
X3 setniel
X1 Command squad
X1 heavy weapon squads

The Over alll theme for my army will be a wwI style. eventual static gunline with bassilisk back up and Bane wolf/setniel fsat attack to weaken the enemy before I move from my trench. First I want to ask is this a viable tactic? and second what kind of loadout would be suggested for a normal infantry squad in this position? And Im thinking Autocannons for the setniels and heavy weapons is this a good choice? Also do I have enough to work with now to even be thinking of fielding an army? and what would you suggest.

Thanks
~Kur0n
Kur0n is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19 Aug 2009, 07:41   #2 (permalink)
Shas'Ui

Default Re: New Ig army lots of Questions ^^

Static Guard, or gunline guard, or even SIGAH (shooty imperial guard army from hell) is certainly a viable tactic. The focus on bringing down everything the enemy has from afar plays well to the strengths of IG. Of course, its not going to win every time, as with any tactic, it will require practice and time to work the way you want it. On the other hand, some people suggest that Static Guard can be a bit of a boring list, simply cause all you do it shoot. Sure, there's more to it than that, but its not like you're charging into battle with masses of guardsmen, or crushing the enemy under the treads of mass Chimeras. If you like it though, play it. It will work.

Layout for this tactic? Your basic infantry squad will contain generally heavy weapons. I suggest looking at Zenai's infantry guide for more information. On a quick run down though, many people prefer autocannons for any squad, as the high str, and number of shots, works well with the IG's average BS. Of course, you could give it to a Veteran squad, which improves their BS. Other HW include, Heavy Bolters, which work well with the IG's average BS, but can really only take medium to light infantry. Missile Launchers; multi purpose weapons for taking tanks or light infantry, and the lascannon, which serves no purpose than to take the heaviest of targets down. Of course, with a Lascannon, and also with a anti-tank missile, you miss, which is reasonably likely with IG BS, that's a turn wasted. With the autocannon and Heavy Bolter, more shots means more chance to do damage.

Special Weapons? If you want. I personally don't use them that much, since the squads main str is the heavier weapons, and the points saved might get me another squad with another heavy weapon. Of course, if you need the points, I suggest avoiding the flamer and meltaguns due to the lack of range, and if the enemy gets that close, then that squad isn't going to last long anyway, might as well give the points to something else.

Autocannons Sents? yes please. One of the better configurations in my opinion, as the average BS of the sent means that lascannon and missile launcher sents could miss for a turn, and do nothing. Though, both of these configurations do have uses, depending on what you want them to do. Heavy Flamer and Multilasers are also decent configurations. The laser works well against light infantry, or MEQ (3+ Armour saves) when you don't have other weapons that can take them. The heavy flamer is extremely dangerous, but most people shoot it before it gets close enough. I suggest autocannons but you can use them however you want.

Fielding an army? you have enough to make a small army, particularly if you use veterans. If you keep them at Platoon level guard, then you might need another command squad for the platoon. More troops would help, and more heavy weapon squads. 1 heavy weapon team can get you 3 or 4 different configurations, but you would need to convert it rather than straight out the box.

Darth_Riah is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19 Aug 2009, 07:49   #3 (permalink)
Zen
Ethereal

Send a message via MSN to Zen

Quote:
Originally Posted by Darth_Riah
Static Guard, or gunline guard, or even SIGAH (shooty imperial guard army from hell) is certainly a viable tactic. The focus on bringing down everything the enemy has from afar plays well to the strengths of IG. Of course, its not going to win every time, as with any tactic, it will require practice and time to work the way you want it. On the other hand, some people suggest that Static Guard can be a bit of a boring list, simply cause all you do it shoot. Sure, there's more to it than that, but its not like you're charging into battle with masses of guardsmen, or crushing the enemy under the treads of mass Chimeras. If you like it though, play it. It will work.
I agree to a certain extend. Static Gunline can be boring [yet effective] until you realized that you've just deployed a 100 models on the table which took you about half an hour and by then, you will go "**** it! I ain't moving an inch!". It can also speed up your games when you skip your Movement Phase :P

Quote:
Special Weapons? If you want. I personally don't use them that much, since the squads main str is the heavier weapons, and the points saved might get me another squad with another heavy weapon. Of course, if you need the points, I suggest avoiding the flamer and meltaguns due to the lack of range, and if the enemy gets that close, then that squad isn't going to last long anyway, might as well give the points to something else.
I disagree; all Special Weapons (except Sniper Rifle IMHO) can be useful; long range or not. This is especially true when your opponent is the type that drives everything up your face which may include Land Raiders, Fortune'd Wave Serpents, Carnifexes, a whole mob of Orkz etc. Special Weapons will add more firepower mid-to-short range which is where most of fighting will be.
Zen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19 Aug 2009, 08:27   #4 (permalink)
Shas'Ui

Hey Zenai, a couple of things. Firstly, I said some people. I didn't say me, you're preaching to the choir (and I can't even sing). I was just giving all sides a fair share, since I have seen people say that. In my opinion, its not boring, actually enjoyable if your opponent is smart enough, but I'd still prefer a mech list, or a horde list for a giggles list.

In regards to special weapons, I disagree with you, but that's just cause I play very defensive opponents. All but 1 player for my local area is defensive to a fault, not including myself, of course. In addition, I did source your Guide as something the OP should read, I hoped that this would provide both mine and you views on the topic. If you think I failed in this regard, I apologize, and will make efforts in the future. (next time I actually post something.)

To expand my view a bit more:

Flamers aren't going to do much for a standard infantry squad in my opinion. If it is a smart opponent, they will stay out of 8 inches, but still within charge distance, if they actually need to get that close in the first place. So, the choice is either move and flame, or sit and shoot. Depends on the circumstance, I prefer shoot.
Grenade launchers I'm fine with, I have run with them in the past.
Similar concept with plasma guns as for Grenade launchers, just more expensive.
Meltaguns have a couple of problems. In a large list, I'd prefer another squad of hw infantry, compared to 6 or so meltaguns for my current squads. That, and the chances are that a unit with armour of 2+ or 3+ getting to that squad are fairly slim, whereas bigger horde squads are more likely.

Old 19 Aug 2009, 10:22   #5 (permalink)
Kroot Shaper

Thank you both very much for your help and advice. So I have been makeing up a list with what I have and here it is.

HQ
-Company Command Squad- 70 pts
-Vox caster
-Regimental Standard

Troop
-Infantry platoon
-Platoon Squad- 35 pts
-Vox caster

-Infantry squad 1- 65pts
-Vox Caster
-Autocannon

-Infantry squad 2- 65pts
-Vox Caster
-Autocannon

-HW Squad-75 pts
-Autocannons x3

-Veteran Squad 1- 100pts
-Shotguns
-Flamers x3

Fast Attack

-2 Scout setniel squad - 80 pts
-Autocannons

-Scout setinel- 40 pts
-Autocannon

Heavy support

-Bassilisk-125pts

Pts Total- 665

So this is my list with the modles That I have Its currently 665 pts and needs to be around 1k. My basic startagy with this list is to put my command squad and inf platoon in a static gunline preferably with alot of cover. The point of the Vet squad with flamers and shotguns is to protect the main gun line from any enemy units that get to close. they would move to charge range shoot and flame and have the gunline shoot at them as well and hopefully depending on the incroching unit would be able to finish them off in assault. I would use the 3 setniels to outflank and hopefully get some rear armor of a vehical or two and cause some target confusion for my opponent. All the while I hope to have my bassilisk at the back corner pounding away at anyheavy inf or vehicals of the opponent. I still need to beef the army up to 1k points because thats what most my friends play But thats my basic stratagy. If you have any suggestions of spicifics to add in please say so ^^

~Kuron
Old 19 Aug 2009, 10:30   #6 (permalink)
Shas'El

It seems like a solid list apart from anti tank, you really only have the bassie for that which dies easily. Also consider using missile launchers or lascannons for your heavy weapons team as you have plaenty of auto cannons, plus the ML/LC set up would give you anti tank and the ML could double up as anti infantry as well.
Old 19 Aug 2009, 10:37   #7 (permalink)
Kroot Shaper

That dose seem like a good Idea Harbringer thank you Im thinking I will put lascannons in my HW teams and make two more autocannons from the extra bits for my Command squads Then I was reading Zenai's guide and I may go for gernade launchers with my infantry to make them a bit more point heavy and a bit more usefull.
Old 19 Aug 2009, 10:42   #8 (permalink)
Shas'El

If you look at my army list you can see i am a big fan of grenade launchers and the like. Have a look and you may think up some good ideas for your army, i looked at a lot of lists before making my own.
Old 19 Aug 2009, 10:58   #9 (permalink)
Shas'Ui

I agree with Harbringer, yes you need more anti tank, and the lascannons in the HW teams would be suitable. Other options include leaving the autocannnons, but making the Command squads having the lascannons, (this allows different targets, and for the company command squad, it gives a BS boos). Or, if you can, you can make another HW squad with the lascannons. Either way, its up to you.

Other things: You have your three sents in a 1 and 2 unit squadrons? there's nothing wrong with doing that, I'm just interested in your reasoning. Are you looking for a spare FA slot? or something else? Grenade launchers I have run with in the past, as I said before, and could complement your squads perfectly, particularly since your low on points.

If you really needed to boost those points, you could make each team a veteran squad, and have three grenade launchers per squad, but you might not have the parts.

Also, I like the idea of the Shotgun vets, with flamers, and have seen it put to good use as a counter charge unit. So, well done on that regard.

Old 19 Aug 2009, 11:08   #10 (permalink)
Kroot Shaper

Um as far as reasoning for teh setinels I have non. Maybe I was just trying to look sofisticated by acting like I knew the point of vehical squadrons>.>...^^. But I like the Idea of makeing teh command squads the lascannons because they can target individually. I have all teh extra weapons from a friends Heavyweapons squads all he used where the Hvy bolters I have already made 3 conversion autocannons with Them propped up against bits that have been painted to represent battlefield debris and the like. I may be able to make a whole extra HVy weapon squad with just Las cannons I will have to see what I have got fro bits. Im the only one in my group who even attempts to convert so I have alot of the.