Chaos Daemons Codex 2013
Chaos Space Marines Codex 2012

Warhammer 40k Forum Tau Online

Warhammer 40K Forum

i cant win
Old 12 Aug 2009, 13:42   #1 (permalink)
Kroot Warrior

Default i cant win

Hi this is my first post so try to go easy on me . i play imperial guard for more then 90% of my games and i can win almost every battle unless i play my friend, who plays a hord variant on the Black Templars. I have read some of the tacteca and i cant wait to use it in my campaign withe him today but my question is are their any tactics that you could share that specifically help me agents the Templars.
thanks
darthjj93 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12 Aug 2009, 13:43   #2 (permalink)
Ethereal

Default Re: i cant win

If you could post his list (or even vaguely what he has) it might make it easier to help.
Old 12 Aug 2009, 15:34   #3 (permalink)
Shas'Ui

Send a message via MSN to Warpspiderman

Ive fought Black Templar a lot when I did play guard and I know what youre going up against. My problem was that my infantry got eaten alive by his, in CC they ended up getting leadership 2 or 3 and then sweeping advancded. oops! By twenty guardsmen! Thatd happen a few times a game.

What you need to do is two things Ive found, which are relatively common sense. One: pop his rhinos and any other troop transports he has ASAP. You can use lascannon or ordnance to do this most effectively, which isnt a problem because you're guard. TWO: When he does get close, I DONT recommend combining squads, even if it is annihilation. The sweeping advances will kill you. I used lots of commisars, plasma weapons, and meltaguns for when the Templar got close. Youll want to throw squads for him to eat as a sacrificial bone then eat his squad of 250 point Brethren or whatever he's got with everything it takes.

One more problem you might have is drop pods. While those let him get the jump on you, and heaven forbid might destroy a tank: Theyre isolated from the rest of his army. If you can throw a couple guard squads in between it and youre Heavy Support in the back you should be fine, then you should be able to kill his dreadnought or tac squad with relative ease.

If it's one thing Ive learned though, its all about his armor saves. Just keep making him roll them, or better yet pierce his armor. The hard part is doing it before he gets close
Old 12 Aug 2009, 15:38   #4 (permalink)
Zen
Ethereal

Send a message via MSN to Zen

If your Guardsmen keep getting killed by Sweeping Advance, I suggest you get a 50-man Combined Infantry Squad with a Commissar attached to them. Stubborn and Ld9 as well as re-rolling failed Ld Test to boot! You may also want to consider giving the Sergeants [and the Commissar] Power Weapons.
Zen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12 Aug 2009, 21:15   #5 (permalink)
Shas'Saal

So much of this will vary depending upon the type of army your opponent brings. Saying Black templars gives us some idea, but within that there are a number of varieties which will affect the general make up of the army.

As some really general items you should probably look to leman russes for your infantry killing. The battle cannon is a superb anti marine weapon, and the russ isnt TOO expensive. If the enemy has lots of terminators then you may want to look into a demolisher, (or that plasma variant you can get now). Having said that though, you can also take care of these with a healthy smattering of meltaguns and plasmaguns - so be prepared with a few units of veterans for instance, which you can manouvre to bolster the lines where their firepower is needed.

As already mentioned, its important to nullify the enemy mobility. Dealing with transports should be fairly easy; using rocket launchers and battle cannons (before turning the battle cannons onto the un-monted infantry). Heavy hitters such as lascannons can be used to take care of heavier tanks such as land raiders... however, as already mentioned, the make up of the enemy army might mean that your own army needs to adjust to suit slightly.

The most important piece of advice in all of this however, is to concentrate your firepower on one enemy unit at a time.

"Hit it 'till it stands no taller than the dust".

Even if you let a single marine through, he can ruin your day.
oink is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13 Aug 2009, 12:00   #6 (permalink)
Kroot Warrior

thanks, i ended up wining with some of the help but i ended up getting really lucky in the end he couldn't get his dreads in and i ended up destroying the rest of the force before the got on the field. I ow my victory to luck, ordinance, and stormtroopers.
Old 13 Aug 2009, 12:38   #7 (permalink)
Shas'Ui

Quote:
Originally Posted by darthjj93
thanks, i ended up wining with some of the help but i ended up getting really lucky in the end he couldn't get his dreads in and i ended up destroying the rest of the force before the got on the field. I ow my victory to luck, ordinance, and stormtroopers.
Congratulations DarthJJ! ;D
Old 13 Aug 2009, 18:21   #8 (permalink)
Shas'Saal

I rolled three ones!!!

That was a big improvement though. My poor rhinos couldn't get close. And it was the most depressing sight when a full squad of marines was brought to one man, who advanced into more enemy fire...I know what must be done next time though

Battle is a Symphony. Every soldier an instrument, Every footstep a note, Every shot a resounding bass, Every clash of swords a sweeping solo. The autarch, the general and the conductor must hear the central harmony. Know when to keep the rhythm, Know when to change key, Know when to bait and lure, Know when to explode with sheer power, Know every aspect of his work till it's creschendo builds to that inexorable and explosive climax that leaves the enemy bloody, broken and shattered. A true master creates a new melody every time and rarely falls back on old tunes.

Crusader777 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14 Aug 2009, 03:58   #9 (permalink)
Shas'Ui

Quote:
Originally Posted by Crusader777
I rolled three ones!!!

That was a big improvement though. My poor rhinos couldn't get close. And it was the most depressing sight when a full squad of marines was brought to one man, who advanced into more enemy fire...I know what must be done next time though
You only rolled three ones the whole battle? What are you complaining about?

Lol, are you the Templar that DarthJJ fought?
Old 14 Aug 2009, 11:18   #10 (permalink)
Kroot Warrior

Ya he is crusader the buddy i play with.