Tau Empire Codex 2013 | Army Builder Program
Dark Angels Codex 2013
Chaos Daemons Codex 2013
Chaos Space Marines Codex 2012

Warhammer 40k Forum Tau Online

Warhammer 40K Forum

Rough Rider Tactica (Making them the work horse of your amy)
Old 05 Aug 2009, 19:29   #1 (permalink)
Shas'Ui

Default Rough Rider Tactica (Making them the work horse of your amy)

Rough Riders

One of the main turnoffs from rough riders is their weak stat line, equivalent to a guardsman and that you pay double the points for models that are “essentially useless” after their first charge. They can’t outflank or infiltrate normally, and getting them into combat is going to be difficult, armed only with flak armour, any anti infantry weapons are going to chew through your unit. This article is to outline that rough riders do have many things going for them and that they can form a tactical niche in almost any guard army.

The trick to using rough riders effectively is to treat them as your human hunter killer missiles. You do not want your investment to go to waste and therefore need to make a good target selection. Armoured targets, MEQ/TEQ are priority, anything else is a waste. A 10 man devastator squad pelting your force with anti infnatry fire, a chaos space marine squad just disembarked from their rhino, a necron squad that has been annoying you with WBB, whatever it is, your rough riders will most likely kill it or seriously wound it. The only problem with this is you need to keep them alive until you get there and then have a role for them after they make their charge.

The Unit

For 5 points more than a basic infantry squad you get 5 cavalry models armed with hunting lances, frag and krak grenades, and a las pistol or close combat weapon. You can have up to five additional models in the squad and can buy multiple different options as upgrades, they are: a power weapon, or plasma pistol for your sergeant, as well as melta bombs and up to two rough riders may replace their hunting lances with either a flamer, grenade launcher, meltagun, or plasmagun. Rough riders also have the option to take a special character, Mogul Kamir who I’ll outline later.

Weapons

The hunting lance is the staple of the rough riders, it grants +2 strength and initiative on the charge and counts as a power weapon. This means armoured targets MEQ/TEQ are priority to charge as anything else is a waste of points, you only get one charge- make it count.

Rough riders come standard equipped with frag grenades, this is a blessing as it means enemies in cover are also potential targets, this is especially useful when charging devastator squads that your opponent has most likely put in cover. Rough riders also have krak grenades, which means AV10/11 (often the back armour of most vehicles) isn’t safe and after your charge you can go for armoured targets.

Rough riders also come with the choice of a las pistol or close combat weapon, always take the las pistol, but don’t expect it to do much.

Upgrades

Sergeant: The only upgrade you should give your sergeant in my opinion are melta bombs, they’re cheap and will penetrate AV13/14 consistently, something the regularly armed krak grenade rough riders can’t do. This opens up more options for your rough riders meaning after that crucial first charge you can go tank hunting. The power weapon can also be useful, however it will rarely make any points back in exchange as after you make your charge with lances you should be using your mobility to avoid combat and focus on other targets.

Special Weapons: To take a special weapon (or two) for your squad you have to exchange your hunting lances meaning you lose two of those crucial power weapon attacks per special weapon. The only two special weapons I would recommend taking are the flamer as it’s great for softening up any kind of enemy before the charge and after the charge you can support other units by adding an extra template to kill hoards. Flamers can also take out MEQ very easily, and are not to be under estimated. The other special weapon I would recommend is the meltagun. After your charge, a meltagun can come in handy, especially when going tank hunting.

Mogul Kamir: This guy is a beast! A must for large Rough Rider squads, he grants the furious charge ability giving your rough riders Str 6 and initiative 6 on the charge! He also gives them fearless, allowing you to ignore any small casualties you may take travelling up the battlefield. I can’t forget to mention that on the charge he can potentially receive 7 power weapon attacks! For his points he is worth it and can greatly boost your rough riders’ effectiveness in combat.

Sample Squads

Small battles: For small battles (1000-1500 points) where you can’t spare too many points for essentially a one use weapon I would recommend this configuration. This should run just over 100 points and is great for taking out MEQ’s and then going on to tackle armoured vehicles.

Rough riders (10 men)
- Meltabombs, flamer

Large Battles: For large battles (1750+ [at your discretion]) where you have points to spare I recommend this set up. This costs just over 150 points and will have no problem bulldozing anything that stands in its way. The two meltaguns mean you can go tank hunting after the charge and you can use them to soften your target before you charge as well. For medium sized games the meltaguns aren’t really necessary as the krak grenades can also fill a tank hunting role.

Rough riders (10 men)
- Mogul Kamir, 2x Meltagun

Tactics

When using rough riders you should have three things in mind, their target, how you’ll get them there alive, and what you’ll do after you’ve charged and used your hunting lances.

Target Priority

Anything with armour, marines and terminators and their equivalents are the best targets. You want to charge something that you know will make your points you spent on the rough riders back as anything else is a waste of their incredibly destructive abilities.

What If There Are No MEQ/TEQ Targets?

This is a question I often receive when I go on and on about the virtues of rough riders, my answer is simple, charge a tank. Or if you’ve invested in meltaguns, pop the tank, then charge the guys emerging from inside. With Mogul Kamir in the squad you can take out AV10/11 and have a decent chance of glancing AV12 to death using your hunting lances and then do the same with krak grenades.

Are We There Yet?

The best combo to field with your rough riders is Creed. Give them scout, with allows them to outflank, so you can sneak onto the board and charge a choice unit. Don’t forget rough riders have fleet and a 12” charge movement. You can use this to take many opponents by surprise, a 6 for your fleet roll means you can get 24” across the battlefield, something than many won’t be expecting.

After the Charge

After you charge with your rough riders many people assume them to be no longer a threat, they are anything but that. As they’re all equipped with krak grenades lightly armoured vehicles should be your first target. Attempt to avoid combat at all cost, though if you’ve given them Mogul Kamir you can also take on weak squads in combat (like other guardsmen) as they strike at the Strength and initiative of marines.

I hope this article has given some insight into the benifits of rough riders and that they can be a potent unit in their own right and are almost always worth the points spent, especially combined with Creed who allows them to outflank. Remember, find a valuble (isolated is ideal) target, engage and destroy it, then use your rough riders as a harrasment unit charging and destroying light vehicles. Give them a second look, you wont regret it.

-Typhon, lord of the zombie plague

I'll probably add more to this later- but for now, enjoy, feedback is welcome.
[hr]
[Edit] Just made a couple of small corrections for you, nice article! +1 - Rezzy [/Edit]
"They shall be my finest Cannon Fodder, these men who give themselves to me. Like clay I will mold them and in the furnace of war they will become cracked and broken. They will be of tissue paper and whimpy muscle. In tissue paper armor I clad them and with the mightiest flashlights they will be armed. They will be touched by every sort of plauge or disease to help further make them unhappy, all sickness will blight them. They will have almost no tactics, strategies, but lots of machines so that they can atleast stand up to a foe in battle. They are my tar pit against the Terror. They are the bulk of Humanity. They are my Imperial Guard and they will know much fear!"

A fortress circumvented ceases to be an obstacle. A fortress destroyed ceases to be a threat. Do not forget the difference.
- Attributed to Leman Russ

My armies may sleep, but big guns never tire.

Surrender - or die.
Typhon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06 Aug 2009, 13:49   #2 (permalink)
Shas'La

Default Re: Rough Rider Tactica (Making them the work horse of your amy)

I've been considering running these as an answer to Tyranid monstrous creatures. Any experience there?
Schev is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06 Aug 2009, 14:16   #3 (permalink)
Shas'Ui

Quote:
Originally Posted by Schev
I've been considering running these as an answer to Tyranid monstrous creatures. Any experience there?
With Mogul Kamir as an upgrade I've taken out multiple carnifexes. A meltagun (or plasma) helps to soften them up first though.
"They shall be my finest Cannon Fodder, these men who give themselves to me. Like clay I will mold them and in the furnace of war they will become cracked and broken. They will be of tissue paper and whimpy muscle. In tissue paper armor I clad them and with the mightiest flashlights they will be armed. They will be touched by every sort of plauge or disease to help further make them unhappy, all sickness will blight them. They will have almost no tactics, strategies, but lots of machines so that they can atleast stand up to a foe in battle. They are my tar pit against the Terror. They are the bulk of Humanity. They are my Imperial Guard and they will know much fear!"

A fortress circumvented ceases to be an obstacle. A fortress destroyed ceases to be a threat. Do not forget the difference.

Surrender - or die.
Old 06 Aug 2009, 14:19   #4 (permalink)
Ethereal

Yeah I see them as a 'killing blow' unit. Charge into under-strength units that you are likely to wipe out on the charge, so you don't get bogged down in a long sticky combat.
Old 06 Aug 2009, 15:41   #5 (permalink)
Shas'O

Great post! +1 (By Rezzy)
Old 07 Aug 2009, 04:46   #6 (permalink)
Shas'La

The only problem with Khamir is that he is subject to rage. That means you have to just run straight at the nearest unit right from the get go, he is beastly but you're just asking to get shot up.

War is great! Well, except for that dying part ...
BeserkWolf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08 Aug 2009, 20:34   #7 (permalink)
Shas'Saal

would you be able to put a priest with them so they can re-roll there hits in CC?
field marshel R Ironballs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08 Aug 2009, 21:35   #8 (permalink)
Shas'Ui

Quote:
Originally Posted by BerserkWolf
The only problem with Khamir is that he is subject to rage. That means you have to just run straight at the nearest unit right from the get go, he is beastly but you're just asking to get shot up.
Yeah, that takes some practice to avoid, but if you position yourself right it's not too hard to charge the unit you want.

Quote:
Originally Posted by field marshel R Ironballs
would you be able to put a priest with them so they can re-roll there hits in CC?
Yes but rough riders are cavalry, and while re rolling hits in CC would be nice and would make them crazy effective, joining a priest to their unit slows them down a lot.

Surrender - or die.
Old 10 Aug 2009, 21:51   #9 (permalink)
Shas'Saal

ive just realised: if you include creed in your army and give the riders scout they can be on your oponents board edge in the first turn. thats grim
field marshel R Ironballs is offline   Reply With Quote