Chaos Space Marines Codex 2012

Warhammer 40k Forum Tau Online

Warhammer 40K Forum

Light Infantry Imperial Guard advice sought
Closed Thread
Old 22 Jun 2005, 18:02   #1 (permalink)
Shas'El

Default Light Infantry Imperial Guard advice sought

I was in Edinburgh, in scotland for a few days. Went to Edinburgh and Stirling castle. Fell in love with the places. Went into the regimental museums of The Royal Scots- "Pontius Pilate's bodyguard", and the Argyll & Sutherland Highlanders-"the thin red line". Was very very happy. So, what does this have to do with Imperial Guard?? The above two, were light infantry regiments, and I'm planning a light infantry regiment. And because of being in Scotland, they're called the Highlanders, and as I'm reading Bernard Cornells "sharpe" books, they're Highlander Rifles. I am seeking advice as to what makes a fluffy light infantry regiment. I want lots of bodies, and heavy weapons teams. And though i am handicapping myself, i am staying clear of vehicles. My tau are vehicle heavy, i feel i should do something different, so i want nothing heavier than a sentinel.

Looking at the IG list, this is what i feel are fluffy units to include alongside my obligatory h.bolter toting command squads.
Fire Support, Anti-tank and mortar squads, hardened veterans, stormtroopers, the poor bloody infantry platoon and h.weapon squads, rough riders and sentinels.

Doctrines, skills, and drills
looking at these, which i don't need to take, but they add to the character, these are what i like:
restricted troops-necessary in places if i want to field Storm Troopers, Rough Riders, and H.Weapon platoons
Grenadiers looks nice, and I'd love to try it but it feels unfluffy for what i want to field as an army.

Skills and Drills: Jungle Fighters is just really really tempting. i love the concept of it, but in my case it would be the more elite stalkers of the regiment would be "jungle fighters.
Light infantry seems almost obligatory.
Sharpshooters is just a great upgrade.

And looking at the special equipment, cameleoline seems like a very handy upgrade, should i take light infantry. though, it would be very expensive.
carapace armour sounds great, but at 20 points a squad it gets expensive. I'd rather stick to the fluff and use cover to the best of my ability.

if anyone here is willing, and able to help me design an army list that suits what i'd like, id very much appreciate it. I'm asking as I'm not very familiar with IG.

thanks,

"What warriors of men can stand beside the Space Wolves! The Sons of Fenris they are, hardened in the forge of their harsh world, eager for battle and honour. They are the grey warriors, ashen like the wolf, whose greatest joy is to hear the clamour of steel amidst the din of war. None can step before them, they are the first, proud in their strength and jealous of their renown. Through the storms of the warp they come, upon the very tides of terror, but of such dangers they are uncaring. They are the Space Wolves, the Undefeated, the bane of the Emperor's foes."
Old 22 Jun 2005, 18:42   #2 (permalink)
Shas'O

Send a message via MSN to arguleon-veq
Default Re: Light Infantry Imperial Guard advice sought

Sharpes regiment aren't Scottish though (just in case anybody was assuming they are after that post).

'Sharpshooters is just a great upgrade'

It really, really isn't. You will get to re-roll a few lasguns shots. It is not worth paying an extra point for a man just for this, plus your squads will already be expensive due to bieng light infantry and possibly having upgrades such as cameleoline.

Rough Riders seems a reasonable option.

You seem to want to include grenadiers which could suggest that you want a more elite kind of unit, how about taking the veterans option so you can have more than one unit.

I like the jungle fighter idea for some of your units.

I'd go for:
  • Light Infantry
  • Jungle Fighters (for your elite squads)
  • Rough Riders
  • Cameleoline
  • Veterans

Carapace armour is not a great choice for Guard, especially if its going to be used for most of your infantry. I don't think there is a place for it in a light infantry army Fluff or Gamewise.
Old 22 Jun 2005, 18:58   #3 (permalink)
Shas'El

Quote:
Originally Posted by Arguleon-veq
Sharpes regiment aren't Scottish though (just in case anybody was assuming they are after that post).

Well, his unit were "rifles". THats what i was referring to, not his nationality. his regiment was the South essex for ages, i do believe, until he joins Nairn's staff.

Quote:
'Sharpshooters is just a great upgrade'
It really, really isn't. You will get to re-roll a few lasguns shots. It is not worth paying an extra point for a man just for this, plus your squads will already be expensive due to bieng light infantry and possibly having upgrades such as cameleoline.
I like the concept of sharpshooters, is all, but as you said, the points add up, and i'd prefer more bodies to be honest. though, the ability to re-roll those missed lascannon, and autocannon shots would be nice.

Quote:
Rough Riders seems a reasonable option.

You seem to want to include grenadiers which could suggest that you want a more elite kind of unit, how about taking the veterans option so you can have more than one unit.

I like the jungle fighter idea for some of your units.
I was considering rough riders, but perhaps not on horses. I'd prefer some nice slimy lizards maybe. i am not a fan of the rough rider models, which is the one gripe i have with the unit. Regarding grenadiers, do you mean take grenadiers, so i can get up to 3 stormtrooper squads as troops, or the veterans (0-1 restriction removed) skills and drills? and jungle fighters- i'm falling in love with these guys!

Quote:
I'd go for:
  • Light Infantry
  • Jungle Fighters (for your elite squads)
  • Rough Riders
  • Cameleoline
  • Veterans

Carapace armour is not a great choice for Guard, especially if its going to be used for most of your infantry. I don't think there is a place for it in a light infantry army Fluff or Gamewise.
thank you lord veq for the list. It fits what i would like to field in my army. though, obviously not every squad will get every damned doctrine! and i agree with no carapace armour. It sounds cool, but can't be used with light infantry anyway. I just don't think its fluffy for a light infantry regiment. mechanised, maybe or skitarii but not my highlanders.

thank you.

"What warriors of men can stand beside the Space Wolves! The Sons of Fenris they are, hardened in the forge of their harsh world, eager for battle and honour. They are the grey warriors, ashen like the wolf, whose greatest joy is to hear the clamour of steel amidst the din of war. None can step before them, they are the first, proud in their strength and jealous of their renown. Through the storms of the warp they come, upon the very tides of terror, but of such dangers they are uncaring. They are the Space Wolves, the Undefeated, the bane of the Emperor's foes."
Old 24 Jun 2005, 23:20   #4 (permalink)
Shas'O

If they're light infantry, I wouldn't give them Carapace. Then they'd look bulky and to heavy to be sneaky.
Old 25 Jun 2005, 15:38   #5 (permalink)
Kroot Shaper

Have you considered Close Order Drill? I think it fits nicely with the infantry horde as I like the image of volley fire. Also I know your inspiration comes from the Scots, what models have you considered using? Maybe Mordians or Praetorians, expensive yes, but they fit the light infantry bill moreso than Cadians who are too bulky.

Inquisitor Verwoerd
Old 26 Jun 2005, 16:38   #6 (permalink)
Shas'El

WD284 had a "famous regiments of the imperium" thing written. there was a thing on frienyt highlanders, IIRC and a pic of one dude, all tatooed with his armour, camo gear and pick backpack. that's what id go for, but i've no idea where to look to find packpacks for my infantry!

Old 26 Jun 2005, 17:06   #7 (permalink)
Shas'O

Send a message via MSN to arguleon-veq

Online store, bounty hunter backpack. Looks awesome and would suit the look your going for perfectly.

http://uk.games-workshop.com/storefr...enu&WCE=Search

Search: Bounty AND Hunter AND Backpack

Should get the right result.
Old 26 Jun 2005, 17:21   #8 (permalink)
Shas'Ui

or from forgeworld http://www.forgeworld.co.uk/equipment.htm
Old 26 Jun 2005, 19:10   #9 (permalink)
Shas'El

Quote:
Online store, bounty hunter backpack. Looks awesome and would suit the look your going for perfectly.
http://uk.games-workshop.com/storefr...enu&WCE=Search
Looks quite nice, but the lack of a credit card is biting! yes, and i need one to mail order the Machinae Supremacy album Deus Ex Machinae as well! Sigh.

Old 28 Jun 2005, 15:39   #10 (permalink)
Shas'Vre

Sharpshooters is totally worth the 10pts, if you give it to the right units. 3 Lascannon HW squad = excellent.

Sentinels aren't worth it in a light infantry army, unless you're going drop-troopers. They'll just die to the enemy's anti-tank weaponry so quickly (due to lack of any other real targets), so they won't even cause a distraction. If being dropped, however, they'd be rather useful for shooting at tank rear armour and creating crossfires.

The backpacks from the HW boxed sets are excellent, and with a bit of thought you can really make them all look different.

How would you do their spiky hair though? Possibly using old brush hairs?

~Andromidius
Closed Thread