Chaos Space Marines Codex 2012

Warhammer 40k Forum Tau Online

Warhammer 40K Forum

Foot-Slogging Imperial Guard Tactica
Old 19 Jul 2009, 03:45   #1 (permalink)
Kroot Shaper

Default Foot-Slogging Imperial Guard Tactica

FOOT SLOGGING INFANTRY

And so he set forth to make a tactica about the dying breed of foot-slogging Imperial Guard. Where had these regiments gone? They had given way to static gun lines, and later mechanized regiments. The art of moving infantry by foot was lost and all but forgotten. So he decided to re illuminate the world on the secrets of foot-slogging. The Emperor smiled on his task.

The Art of Foot-Slogging Infantry is a very difficult thing to master. I will not give you guys Mathhammer proofs simply because I not very good at that and its not that reliable. So lets begin our journey into the wonders of Foot-Slogging Infantry.

THE MAIN WAVE

The Main Wave is used to try to bog down enemy fire on numerous targets. It can act as a distraction for your flanking units.

* Infantry Platoon
o Platoon Command Squad
+ Commander Chenkov
+ Vox-caster
o Infantry Squad
+ Grenade Launcher
+ Vox-caster
o Infantry Squad
+ Grenade Launcher
o Infantry Squad
+ Grenade Launcher
o Infantry Squad
+ Grenade Launcher
o Infantry Squad
+ Grenade Launcher
o Special Weapons Squad
+ Meltagun x3
o Special Weapons Squad
+ Meltagun x3
o Conscripts
+ Additional 30 Conscripts
+ Send in the Next Wave

Total Points- 770

The Infantry Squads will act as a combined squad and deploy next to the conscripts. The Special Weapons Squads and the Platoon Command Squad will deploy behind the infantry squads and the conscripts. Chenkov will use the Send in the Next Wave for fleeing conscripts and Get Back in the Fight for fleeing Infantry Squads. In order to move fast across the board, Chenkov will order Move, Move, Move!. When in position, the Squads will open fire and try to do as much damage as they can. They are here to cause damage and distract the enemy with a big target. Now on to the flankers.

TANITH TACTICS

This section is about your flanking troops. Their job is to stay in cover and advance on the sides. They will try to out-flank the enemy.

ELITES

* Storm Trooper Squad
o Plasma Gun x2
* Storm Trooper Squad
o Plasma Gun x2

Troops

* Veteran Squad
o Sniper Rifle x3
o Forward Sentries
* Veteran Squad
o Sniper Rifle x3
o Forward Sentries
* Veteran Squad
o Sniper Rifle x3
o Forward Sentries
* Veteran Squad
o Sniper Rifle x3
o Forward Sentries

Total Points- 690

Each Storm Trooper Squad will deploy on either side of the board. They will be supported by two Veteran Squads each. The Storm Troopers will be given the Reconnaissance Special Operation. Each group will advance through cover and snipe the enemy. They will continue to move forward and eventually flank the enemy.

VEHICLES OF THE IMPERIUM

This section is about how to use the optional support of vehicles. In no way does not choosing vehicles make your strategy not good. Vehicles are simply here for support.

FAST ATTACK

* Scout Sentinel
o Lascannon
o Camo netting
* Scout Sentinel
o Lascannon
o Camo netting
* Devil Dog
o Multi-melta

HEAVY SUPPORT

* Basilisk
o Enclosed crew compartment

Total Points- 395

The Sentinels will stay in reserve and attempt to outflank during the game. It is optimal to have one Sentinel on either side of the board. They can act as excellent tank hunters and add much needed support to the Veterans and Storm Troopers. The Devil Dog will advance down the center of the board to support the infantry mass. The Basilisk will stay behind and add fire support wherever needed on the board. These vehicles can be good Anti-MEQ's in your army.

ALL THE REST

Now that you have the main body of your army, you can add on to it. You will need a Company Command Squad. So you can use that to support your Main Wave, or perhaps the flankers. There are endless possibilities to expanding your army, you just have to think. You can add more vehicles or more infantry. You can expand on the Main Wave, or the Flankers. The Choice is yours. So go out there and destroy the enemies of the Emperor!
I will face my fear.
I will permit it to pass over me and through me.
And when it has gone past I will turn the inner eye to see its path.
Where the fear has gone there will be nothing.
Only I will remain.
jpchewy01 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19 Jul 2009, 11:06   #2 (permalink)
Zen
Ethereal

Send a message via MSN to Zen
Default Re: Foot-Slogging Imperial Guard Tactica

Few things I find...:
A) You're playing right into the hands of the Orks/ Tyranids. You're just making it easier for them to get into combat with your Guardsmen and slaughter them.
B) You're not Fearless. You didn't even mention Commissars who can grant your Combined Infantry Squad Stubborn and Ld9.
C) You know why most of us play Static Gunline? Because 1) Guardsmen slow, 2) Guardsmen squishy, 3) Guardsmen aren't made for CC and 4) Special and Heavy Weapons; it's what makes the Imperial Guard quiver in their boots. It's the fact that we can kill everything in sight and even before the reach our lines that makes us a feared army in our own right.

Seriously though, you're just asking to be beaten in combat and get caught in Initiative Catch (or whatever it is called). Static Guard ain't all about sitting around doing nothing. Static Guard IS Foot-Slogging Guard. But in contrary to your "Tactica", Static Guard's aim is to first eliminate the enemy before moving onto capturing objectives.

Look...if you want to play your "Foot-Slogging" Guard, I suggest that you include Heavy Weapons Squad to add Covering Fire. At least, try to hold your ground (e.g. stay where you are and in cover) then after some of the threats are gone, you can come out and start doing whatever.

Btw, you're lacking major Anti-TEQ/MC in there...
Zen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19 Jul 2009, 12:18   #3 (permalink)
Shas'El

Also there is no mention of HQ qhich when using a 'bring it down' order on a combined squad makes it just brilliant.

You said put two lascannons on two svcout sentinals yet it is cheaper to buy a heavy weapons squad all with lascannons.

Also you said the send in the next wave is for fleeing conscriopts not just any time you either need to pull them back or they won't survive another turn.

Old 19 Jul 2009, 14:06   #4 (permalink)
Shas'El

I think a good addition to this could be how effective some Guard Orders could be to a Foot-Slogging List, or perhaps which HQ would be best to support the Troops (for example, the Master Of Ordinance) - or help give Fearless to a squad or two (Commissars) - and how that would be effective.

I would certainly give you a round of applause for doing this, but you've got many things to input/ consider, you could do some research first, or perhaps, observe/learn this from your battles, if you do/were to have a Foot Slogging Guard army, or even perhaps ask in the IG board.

Dark Adeptus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19 Jul 2009, 14:18   #5 (permalink)
Shas'El

How is this a tactica? It seems more like an army list to me.
[hr]
Masked Thespian is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20 Jul 2009, 02:18   #6 (permalink)
Kroot Shaper

Zenai: Chenkov gives the Guardsmen stubborn. I have no need for Commissars.

Harbinger: Great suggestions.

Sensei: Ditto.

Thespian: The list provided is a suggestion.

I'll work on this and see what I get.
I will face my fear.
I will permit it to pass over me and through me.
And when it has gone past I will turn the inner eye to see its path.
Where the fear has gone there will be nothing.
Only I will remain.
jpchewy01 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20 Jul 2009, 03:04   #7 (permalink)
Kroot Shaper

So in otherwords this isnt how to run a foot slogga guard army this is your army list and how you run it foot slogga like...It tells us nothing about how to support the army which afterall is the guards thing all of its parts supporting one another to help bring about the victory.Commissars are VITAL to foot slogga because one its 9 leadership, two cant be killed from shooting without killing the rest of the squad also(since they are not IC)the first thing you do when fighting someone running a lsit like that is shoot and kill chenkov which since the squad hes in will have only six available wounds wont be hard even with cover saves. upon his death your guardsmen around him lose stubborn and are very vunerable to assault armies and are no longer a verygood tarpit unit... I am not saying chenkov is bad but you must run him carefully and not rely on him alone to give your troops stubborn. also it only has a range of 12 inches chaos lash armies will just pull them away from chenkov and rip them apart...
Old 20 Jul 2009, 03:11   #8 (permalink)
Zen
Ethereal

Send a message via MSN to Zen

SmartSCrazy has said it all. Furthermore, Commissars provide a valuable ability to re-roll your Leadership. A presence of a Commissar always spells Fun Times.
Zen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20 Jul 2009, 10:20   #9 (permalink)
Shas'El

Quote:
Originally Posted by jpchewy01
Thespian: The list provided is a suggestion.
I see. Therefore, would I be correct in assuming that your 'tactica' reads as follows?

[hr]
FOOT SLOGGING INFANTRY

And so he set forth to make a tactica about the dying breed of foot-slogging Imperial Guard. Where had these regiments gone? They had given way to static gun lines, and later mechanized regiments. The art of moving infantry by foot was lost and all but forgotten. So he decided to re illuminate the world on the secrets of foot-slogging. The Emperor smiled on his task.

The Art of Foot-Slogging Infantry is a very difficult thing to master. I will not give you guys Mathhammer proofs simply because I not very good at that and its not that reliable. So lets begin our journey into the wonders of Foot-Slogging Infantry.

THE MAIN WAVE

The Main Wave is used to try to bog down enemy fire on numerous targets. It can act as a distraction for your flanking units.

The Infantry Squads will act as a combined squad and deploy next to the conscripts. The Special Weapons Squads and the Platoon Command Squad will deploy behind the infantry squads and the conscripts. Chenkov will use the Send in the Next Wave for fleeing conscripts and Get Back in the Fight for fleeing Infantry Squads. In order to move fast across the board, Chenkov will order Move, Move, Move!. When in position, the Squads will open fire and try to do as much damage as they can. They are here to cause damage and distract the enemy with a big target. Now on to the flankers.

TANITH TACTICS

This section is about your flanking troops. Their job is to stay in cover and advance on the sides. They will try to out-flank the enemy.

Each Storm Trooper Squad will deploy on either side of the board. They will be supported by two Veteran Squads each. The Storm Troopers will be given the Reconnaissance Special Operation. Each group will advance through cover and snipe the enemy. They will continue to move forward and eventually flank the enemy.

VEHICLES OF THE IMPERIUM

This section is about how to use the optional support of vehicles. In no way does not choosing vehicles make your strategy not good. Vehicles are simply here for support.

The Sentinels will stay in reserve and attempt to outflank during the game. It is optimal to have one Sentinel on either side of the board. They can act as excellent tank hunters and add much needed support to the Veterans and Storm Troopers. The Devil Dog will advance down the center of the board to support the infantry mass. The Basilisk will stay behind and add fire support wherever needed on the board. These vehicles can be good Anti-MEQ's in your army.

ALL THE REST

Now that you have the main body of your army, you can add on to it. You will need a Company Command Squad. So you can use that to support your Main Wave, or perhaps the flankers. There are endless possibilities to expanding your army, you just have to think. You can add more vehicles or more infantry. You can expand on the Main Wave, or the Flankers. The Choice is yours. So go out there and destroy the enemies of the Emperor!

[hr]

I'm sorry, but as a tactica that seems a little bit lax. You've given vague advice on how to use each portion of the army, with little thought on how to adapt against enemy tactics or against specific enemies. What if people don't have the same models that you do but wanted to try these tactics out themselves with their own models? You've given no idea on how to provide alternatives to the list you provided.

Perhaps I'm being a little bit harsh, but as a tactica it could do with a bit more work. You need to consider exactly what point you are trying to get across and discuss it in detail; its strengths, its weaknesses, which units are worth taking towards that aim and which ones aren't so good. You ought to take into consideration what the most likely responses, from an enemy player, will be and write about potential counters.

It's a start, but by no means is it complete. Keep it up, though; I'm sure you can make something good of it in the end
[hr]
Masked Thespian is offline   Reply With Quote