Chaos Daemons Codex 2013
Chaos Space Marines Codex 2012

Warhammer 40k Forum Tau Online

Warhammer 40K Forum

My Terrible Battle Yesterday
Old 18 Jul 2009, 05:05   #1 (permalink)
Kroot Shaper

Default My Terrible Battle Yesterday

My friend and I decided to battle. Like me he's fond of massive battles. So it was an Apocalypse battle. He brought his entire Dark Angels army. Over 10,000 points. To match his points I was forced to use my entire Imperial Guard army, which used to be two separate ones: an armored company and a small troop based army. With the new codex I was able to combine them all into a 5060 point army. It still needs tweaking and new units.

To back them up I brought along my Black Templars, Longrifles Space Marines, a Deathwatch team, and a Inquisitor with her retinue.

Altogether I had tons of Imperial Guard tanks and lots of Space Marine armor. And quite a lot of infantry!

The mission was simple: take and hold a bunker. The tables were pulled apart and we went with two bridges. I'm the attacker and he's the defender. I need to get across the river using the two bridges to take the bunker.

And that's why I lost.

Defense in any mission using a bridge is easy.

I pummeled him with my battlecannons, Baneblade, and my Basilisks from across the river. Every shooting phase I had I inflicted significant losses. With one shot from a Basilisk I killed a whole command squad and part of an assault squad. I wiped out 5 speeders and other vehicles.

He'd move units on to the bridge to impede my crossing. They all were obliterated. None of my infantry, transports, or tanks ever made it onto the bridges let alone to the other side.

I figured out quickly the moves it'd take to get anything over the bridge and realized I'd never get anything over there. In addition to coming down the bridges under heavy fire I'd have to muscle my way past his tanks.

Plus the bridges had several wrecks blocking my tanks from crossing. We didnt know how to deal with wrecks so I could do nothing.

My only hope was to land deepstrikers on his side and try to take that bunker.

And for a while it seemed I could do it. I figured my longrange guns would hammer enough of his army away to make life for any deepstrikers of mine over there easier.

I deepstriked.

First thing to happen? A whole squad of Stormtroopers landed off table and were lost.

Then an entire squad of Deathwatch kill team were lost.

Part of another stormtrooper squad was lost.

Two squads wound up delayed.

What did get in did well at first. My Black Templar assault marines, which were 3 squads of 5 did good work. They took a Predator out with their plasma pistols. My Terminator Squad inflicted substantial losses. My Calidus bogged a squad of Dark Angels down in hand to hand. My inquisitor brought two Daemonhosts. One got terrify for his power and pinned the same squad two separate times. The other took some out in hand to hand before his next power was teleport.

I thought I had a chance! Keep bashing his army from my side. Land in my deepstrikers.

No...I had no chance.

He had an unending rain of Dark Angels drop podding in. I mauled his army. Seriously. I'd say I killed over half of it. I myself sustained light losses.

But I never crossed either bridge. A drop pod blocked me. As far as I know all I could do was shoot it and hope I blow it up with a 6. I thought I could ram wrecks or vehicles? The only other way to cross the bridge with the drop pod blocking me would have been to disembark as many troops as possible and run them across, all the while having them shot up and with hand to hand at his end of the bridge keeping me from crossing.

Plus, unaware of most of the new rules in the new codex I made many mistakes. I'm sure he was honest with them but we ran into a lot of problems, like how does pyschic powers with blastmarkers work now, or how to deal with ramming or wrecks on a bridge, etc.

So I lost. I lost because of unclear rules, a drop pod blocking one bridge, and deepstrike mishaps.

However, I lost well. I killed alot of his army, including characters and such, while losing little of mine. In fact, he only killed 1 dreadnought, 2 attack bikes, and a handful of infantry from various squads. He never killed an entire squad completely.
DeadLight is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18 Jul 2009, 13:09   #2 (permalink)
Shas'Saal

Default Re: My Terrible Battle Yesterday

did you have chimeras in your army? because they can cross rivers without bridges, the have the amphibious special rule which allows them To treat water as normal terrain. if so you could have crossed the river that way
field marshel R Ironballs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18 Jul 2009, 13:17   #3 (permalink)
Shas'El

Field marshall R Ironballs is correct you could have sent a chimera over the river thanks to its amphibious rule. Also valkyries can zip over and grav chute deploy troops on there side plus massed artillery (9 basilisks or variants) will destroy A LOT in a single turn.
Old 18 Jul 2009, 13:28   #4 (permalink)
Shas'Ui

Send a message via Yahoo to Hairy Grim

To be honest I think BoLS got it right with the Apocolypse house rule of just removing wrecks from the table. That would've made the battle much fairer.

Any skimmer or jump infantry you had could also have just gone over the river.
Old 18 Jul 2009, 14:14   #5 (permalink)
Shas'O

isn't wrecks treated as difficult terrain? in that case you could pass it, slower, but still pass.
Old 18 Jul 2009, 14:20   #6 (permalink)
Shas'Ui

I played a similar game with two one each side 15,000 points a side. I was the attacker with my hoard of IG along with an armour heavy marine force. There was only one bridge we could cross. By then end of the battle we calculated that over 400 models lost their lives on that bridge, but in the end I got across.

Easiest way to cross a well defended bridge, commit everything to it.

Oh yeah, I'm pretty sure wreaks are just difficult terrain, it'll slow you down but you can cross.
"They shall be my finest Cannon Fodder, these men who give themselves to me. Like clay I will mold them and in the furnace of war they will become cracked and broken. They will be of tissue paper and whimpy muscle. In tissue paper armor I clad them and with the mightiest flashlights they will be armed. They will be touched by every sort of plauge or disease to help further make them unhappy, all sickness will blight them. They will have almost no tactics, strategies, but lots of machines so that they can atleast stand up to a foe in battle. They are my tar pit against the Terror. They are the bulk of Humanity. They are my Imperial Guard and they will know much fear!"

A fortress circumvented ceases to be an obstacle. A fortress destroyed ceases to be a threat. Do not forget the difference.
- Attributed to Leman Russ

My armies may sleep, but big guns never tire.

Surrender - or die.
Typhon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18 Jul 2009, 14:21   #7 (permalink)
Shas'Ui

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Book
Wrecked vehicles are left on the table & effectively become a piece of terrain, counting as both difficult & dangerous terrain, & providing cover.
Indeed you are correct, though it still makes things awkward.
Old 18 Jul 2009, 14:50   #8 (permalink)
Shas'Vre

Send a message via AIM to Unusualsuspect Send a message via MSN to Unusualsuspect

As quoted, though, they're not JUST difficult terrain, they're also dangerous terrain - not much of a difference to vehicles, but it makes a huge difference to footsloggers.
Old 18 Jul 2009, 15:08   #9 (permalink)
Shas'Ui

Actually it's possibly even worse with vehicles, as if they fail the test they're Immobilised, thus clogging up the bridges more. The defender can just choose not to try & destroy them so it becomes impossible for the attacker to pass.
Old 18 Jul 2009, 16:19   #10 (permalink)
Kroot Warrior

The second I saw bridges I knew what was gonna happen.I've played only a few small games but I know how alot of people think.If there were bridges I would have gon with Valkreys or chimeras if it was water under the bridge,that'd teach him fery your units back and forth.It just folward,backwards,folwards,backwards,folwards,back wards. :P
snarst is offline   Reply With Quote