Chaos Daemons Codex 2013
Chaos Space Marines Codex 2012

Warhammer 40k Forum Tau Online

Warhammer 40K Forum

Refresher for A Veteran
Old 09 Jul 2009, 13:43   #1 (permalink)
Kroot Shaper

Default Refresher for A Veteran

I don't own the latest rulebook and rarely get to play battles. When I do I make use of my opponent's rulebook but in games I have little time to study it entirely.

How do you work out shooting ordnance weapons like battle cannons and earthshakers? Is ballistic skill required? It seems the scattering and line of site business doesn't require the roll for BS. Their inaccuracy accounts for that. After all, a roll for BS would yield total misses and thus the scattering would be redundant. And unless the shell never leaves the barrel due to a mishap a weapon is going to fire.

How do structure points work? My beloved Armored Company has seen battle a mere two times in Apocalypse games and enjoyed the companionship of a might Baneblade. And in each battle my Baneblade never was damaged! So I'm not sure how to work out the structure point deal.

Lastly, bunkers...

In 3rd edition you'd destroy them. Armor of 14 as I recall. You could bring them crashing down.

In 4th edition it seemed you'd not be able to destroy them but simply reduce the save conferred by being in a bunker. I never encountered them much.

What about in 5th edition? And does ordnance weapons have different effects on them? Does ordnance weapons have any different effect against vehicles in 5th edition?

And what's this about tanks not being able to fire but one weapon over strength for if they move beyond six? Main guns now begin at 4?
DeadLight is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09 Jul 2009, 21:05   #2 (permalink)
Shas'La

Default Re: Refresher for A Veteran

SHooting a regular ordinance weapon from a vehicle requires line of sight and targets must be within the range of the weapon. You roll scatter and if it hits an arrow, you roll 2D6. From that 2D6, you subtract your BS to find the total scatter distance.

For Barrage weapons such as the Earthshaker, you don't need line of sight. If you have LOS, you may subtract the BS from the scatter, if you don't, you do not subtract the BS.

Ordinance weapons may only be used if no other weapons have been fired. If it is the first weapon fired, you may not use any other weapons for that turn. The LMRBT special rule "Lumbering Behemoth" negates this rule.

Any Large Blast weapons against a vehicle may confer a bonus D6 towards armor penetration. After scatter, if the circle in the middle of the template still touches the enemy armor's hull, you may roll an extra D6 for armor penetration. If the middle circle is off the vehicle, you half the strength of the weapon and roll a normal D6.
Old 10 Jul 2009, 03:32   #3 (permalink)
Kroot Shaper

Geez, they've really changed things in 5th edition. Subtracting BS? What's the sense in that? At worst on a scatter you'll roll 12 inches. So most armies get to subtract 3 to 4 inches. Wow.

How about bunkers in 5th edition?
Old 10 Jul 2009, 15:02   #4 (permalink)
Shas'El

They needed it, templates sucked before.

Bunkers are destroyable, treat them like immob vehicles basically.

USAFTACP is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10 Jul 2009, 15:48   #5 (permalink)
Shas'Vre

Send a message via MSN to Hoarday

Quote:
Originally Posted by DeadLight
Geez, they've really changed things in 5th edition. Subtracting BS? What's the sense in that? At worst on a scatter you'll roll 12 inches. So most armies get to subtract 3 to 4 inches. Wow.

How about bunkers in 5th edition?
A 12" scatter is only a 1/36 chance though. Once you factor in that minor deviations from where you place the template will barely reduce the number of hits you score (and in some cases increase them), blast weapons typically have higher hit percentages than weapons fired with a BS roll.
Old 11 Jul 2009, 06:57   #6 (permalink)
Kroot Shaper

Originally I played Marines for the most part. Did a brief love affair with Eldar and Tau. In the past using blast markers weren't such a common thing for me in a game. But now that I'm going with the Guard I find my knowledge of ordnance, barrages, and blast markers overall is severely lacking.
Old 11 Jul 2009, 07:30   #7 (permalink)
Shas'El

For ordanance ( blast weapons):

-Declare the gun is firing and pick a spot over an enemy model and make a note telling the other person.
-Pick up two dice and the scatter dice (with the arrows) and roll.
- If it shows a hit it lands on the spot you picked earlier. If it is on an arrow take your BS away from the dice total and then move the marker that distance in the direction of the arrow.
- any one under the template ( even just a foot) is automatically hit, work out wounds etc.

*Against vehicles do the same but if the hole is over the tank roll 2D6+strength for armour penetration.
*If the hole isn't over the vehicle but it is still under the template then half the weapons strength and roll a single D6+strength for armour penetration.
*With barrage weapons it is the same but you can still fire if there is no line of sight to the target but you can't minus your ballistic skill.
*Barrage weapons are also pinning meaning if a wound is made the affected unit takes a leadership test ( roll 2D6 and you pass if the result is smaller or equal to the units highest leadership stat) and if failed they 'go to ground' so they cannot do anything the following turn.
*When attempting to take a cover save against barrage weapons then the shot is presumed to have come from the centre of the template units in area terrain always receive a cover save.
*if you fire a barrage weapon directly ( ignore minimum range) then it doesn't receive any of the barrage bonuses ( pinning, firing out of LoS, cover saves from Market center)

Hope that helps

Cheers,
Unholy Harbinger
Old 12 Jul 2009, 06:35   #8 (permalink)
Kroot Shaper

Thank you. That's more simple than I expected. Just one thing, what's this business about subtracting BS? My friend has the new rulebook and says nothing is in it about that.

All I know now is...I should have always went with the Imperial Guard and deeply regret buying two marines armies!
Old 12 Jul 2009, 06:50   #9 (permalink)
Shas'El

I am staring at my 5th edition rulebook and it clearly states roll 2D6 and minus the firers ballistic skill. Your friend does have a 5th edition rule book?
Old 12 Jul 2009, 08:45   #10 (permalink)
Kroot Shaper

Apparently. It's a small one though missing all the fluff. Said it came in some set. I just assumed this stuff was things that came after the rulebook, you know, in the form of clarifications. It'd be a miracle if GW ever released a rulebook or codex that didn't have mistakes.

I don't have the 5th ed rulebook yet. Mainly because I'm laid off from work. Plus where I live there's but 3 guys who play. I have to order all my stuff!

Speaking of which is there an update to the new IG codex yet?