Tau Empire Codex 2013 | Army Builder Program
Dark Angels Codex 2013
Chaos Daemons Codex 2013
Chaos Space Marines Codex 2012

Warhammer 40k Forum Tau Online

Warhammer 40K Forum

Imperial Guard Armored Company and the new Codex...
Old 08 Jul 2009, 05:40   #1 (permalink)
Kroot Shaper

Default Imperial Guard Armored Company and the new Codex...

Right, I am the proud owner of a powerful Imperial Guard armored company. As far as I know there is no official list for them. However, I did download a list from a Games-Workshop site.

This list was the most official thing I could find having been developed by a GW employee. I felt it to be a fine list. It gave you the chance to use doctrines with your armored company. One in particular would allow you to put plasma cannons in your Russ's sponsons. Other doctrines were various skills or upgrades to your tanks to make them more survivable. You also could use several variants like the Vanquisher.

And so I invested heavily in this and now have an awesome AC. It consists of almost 10 Leman Russ or its variants, 3 Basilisks, Destroyer, Salamander, 4 Armored Fists, even a Baneblade. Best of all, with much effort I was able to do some significant conversion work to make it appear like a WW2 German panzer division. I even went so far as to order overly priced Forge World Death Korps of Krieg models to add to it, specifically infantry for the Armored Fist Squads.

In battle the AC can't be beaten. As such I didn't use it much to give my opponent a chance. He plays Dark Angels and has over 10k points. And my AC is not even at 4000 but it's beaten him.

Luckily Apocalypse came out and so now my AC can see more battles. With the virtual anything goes atmosphere of Apocalypse now I can field my AC against gigantic armies. And also add my separate and growing IG force to back them up.

But...

What's the future of the Armored Company as far as Games Workshop goes? Is there now a legal list for it? I don't have the new IG codex and so am concerned. I'll continue using the list I found but the new codex may invalidate it. Does GW intend to ever publish a list for the AC or is it just still floating about in limbo? Apocalypse seems to have given the AC list a second life. And clearly it's a list meant only for Apocalypses as a single AC is too powerful for just about any army in a regular game.

If anyone can inform me as to the status of the AC I'd be very grateful.
DeadLight is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08 Jul 2009, 06:17   #2 (permalink)
Shas'O

Send a message via MSN to Jeff Send a message via Yahoo to Jeff
Default Re: Imperial Guard Armored Company and the new Codex...

AC and AB are both now illegal lists. The new IG codex has superseeded them.

Do not fear however, 5 or 6 russ', 3 arty pieces, some mech vets and a few sentinels/hell hounds is still a great option for a list.
Old 08 Jul 2009, 16:48   #3 (permalink)
Shas'Vre

Send a message via MSN to Hoarday

Play a couple games against a large tyranid army with a trygon or two and see how your Armoured Company fares :P I play an almost entirely mechanised list and one of those snakey bastards took out over half my army singlehanded.
Old 08 Jul 2009, 17:11   #4 (permalink)
Shas'El

They've been illegal for a while, but that means that you only can't use them in tournaments. Since 99% of games played are just casual, I see now reason for you not to be able to update your army list to 5e.

You can still take AF squads, just make them vets and give them a Chimera.

USAFTACP is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08 Jul 2009, 19:18   #5 (permalink)
Shas'O

you can field squadrons now, 3 tanks per heavy support slot. a total of 9 tanks. so you can have 3 basilisk (or variants) and 6 Russ (or variants) for example. the new codex have most of the FW variants too!. plus you can field hellhounds (and variants) in squadrons on the fast attack slots. and as already stated, vets with chimearas as armoured fists. mount your HQ in a chimeara too. maybe you cant field ALL of your tanks, but without doubt many enough!. plus, in apoc you can just use the whole bunch.
Old 09 Jul 2009, 00:07   #6 (permalink)
Shas'O

Quote:
Those are two very different choices.

Make AF just a single infantry squad with a chimera.
Old 09 Jul 2009, 00:24   #7 (permalink)
Shas'El

Quote:
Originally Posted by Valkyrie
Quote:
Those are two very different choices.

Make AF just a single infantry squad with a chimera.
The problem with that is that he'll need 3 Chimeras for each troop choice. Since he would need 2 choices to have a legal list, this would be very expensive. So vets and a chimera are the best bet now.

Old 09 Jul 2009, 01:07   #8 (permalink)
Shas'O

Not for a counts as AF sqaud. AF were literally an infantry squad in a chimera. Veterans are FAR better than an infantry squad.

Since the list is being used in firendlys only anyway, 1 infantry squad + chimera = 1 troops choice (counts as AF) would be far more acceptable than a unit of vets in a chimera counting as an AF.

This is being house ruled for the DH/WH allies in Aussie tournaments as the way to incorporate 2 AF squads as the two allied troops.
Old 09 Jul 2009, 03:32   #9 (permalink)
Kroot Shaper

But I can take heart. As suggested above I can tank my tanks as squadrons. So almost all of my armor in my existing AC will be used. I assume the tanks in the squads don't all have to be identical. So my Vanquisher gets to remain. Looks like my Destroyer won't though. A pity. I spent a great deal of time cobbling a highly convincing German "Elefant" out of a Chimera, Basilisk and a lot of card.

As for the AF it's cool. I have plenty of Chimeras to go around. See, initially I opted not to do a standard Guard army because of how expensive it is in the long run. The AC, besides being lovely tanks, seemed a much cheaper army to build. But I still bought a few troops to hold objectives and such.

As it is...based on my AC, what other Guard models I have, and from a cursory glance at the Codex I pretty much can build a good Guard army without needing to buy too much. Oh...Valkryries are a must and some Ogryns.
DeadLight is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09 Jul 2009, 10:12   #10 (permalink)
Shas'El

Quote:
Originally Posted by Valkyrie
Not for a counts as AF sqaud. AF were literally an infantry squad in a chimera. Veterans are FAR better than an infantry squad.

Since the list is being used in firendlys only anyway, 1 infantry squad + chimera = 1 troops choice (counts as AF) would be far more acceptable than a unit of vets in a chimera counting as an AF.

This is being house ruled for the DH/WH allies in Aussie tournaments as the way to incorporate 2 AF squads as the two allied troops.
We're looking at ways he can make an AC in a legal way. Which would mean he would have to take Vets in a Chimera as his AF squads.