Chaos Daemons Codex 2013
Chaos Space Marines Codex 2012

Warhammer 40k Forum Tau Online

Warhammer 40K Forum

Is this a viable tactic?
Old 07 Jul 2009, 07:25   #1 (permalink)
Kroot Warrior

Default Is this a viable tactic?

I had the idea of taking a squad of ratlings and putting them in cover when deploying.
Then, take a psyker battle squad and weaken resolve on a unit of your choice, preferably a heavy weapons squad. once that unit's LD is down to 2, fill them with sniper fire, hopefully casing a pinning test (which they will surely fail with a pathetic leadershp of 2 >).

Just looking for C & C
dallastarsfan13 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07 Jul 2009, 11:36   #2 (permalink)
Zen
Ethereal

Send a message via MSN to Zen
Default Re: Is this a viable tactic?

Why don't you invest points to actually destroying your opponent? Pinning is overrated, anyway. Yeah, they get to do nothing for 1 turn but it's better to take them out completely. So, yeah; I suggest you try to destroy your opponent instead of annoying him with silly tricks like this.
Zen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07 Jul 2009, 12:19   #3 (permalink)
Shas'Ui

Send a message via MSN to bloodfire

While it is a viable tactic a slightly better version would be to cause 25% casulties and then hit them with weaken resolve (preferbly when they are near their table edge)
Of course such tactics only work if the opponent has center piece units which aren't fearless.(though chasing any unit away on turn 1 is good too)
But Isn't it funny to think that guard might be able to copy eldar tactics slightly?
You mean "Perform Eldar tactics better than Eldar", right? :P
Not unless the Eldar have an obscure Warrior Aspect that revolves around the complete mastery of the common light bulb.
Infected by Skaven
bloodfire is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07 Jul 2009, 20:11   #4 (permalink)
Shas'El

For those points you spent on the ratlings you could just grab another psyker squad and get more use out of it.

USAFTACP is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08 Jul 2009, 00:05   #5 (permalink)
Shas'Vre

Send a message via MSN to Hoarday

While I like the use of both units, I wouldn't use them together. Weaken resolve is better used on units you plan on forcing a morale check on. I'd rather have my target fleeing than pinned. Ratlings are most useful against MCs, ICs running solo and other High save units where they're relatively low number of hits ignoring armour will be most effective.
Old 08 Jul 2009, 14:04   #6 (permalink)
Shas'Saal

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jordan
I'd rather have my target fleeing than pinned.
The thing is, even if they aren't Space Marines or Tau with bonding knives, they have to be below 50% strength, otherwise they'll regroup next turn, move forward again and possibly continue shooting. Pinning on the other hand guarantees that you render a unit useless for the next turn.
Silver is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08 Jul 2009, 16:57   #7 (permalink)
Shas'Vre

Send a message via MSN to Hoarday

This is false. A unit that breaks first of all on turn 1 or backline units in later turns, can get routed right off the board. Second, A unit that breaks isn't advancing next turn because they just fled back a bunch of inches. They'll be lucky to be able to advance back up as far they fled without running in the shooting phase. Even then they're not guaranteed a net gain in forward movement. Aside from Space Marines, units that rally count as moving for all intents and purposes in the shooting phase so can't fire heavy weapons and they can't launch assaults. There are a few assorted times I might want to pin instead of break, but they all involve holding a unit in place to hit them with assault units, so I probably wouldn't want to do it with a guard army.
Old 09 Jul 2009, 01:24   #8 (permalink)
Shas'O

Send a message via MSN to Jeff Send a message via Yahoo to Jeff

Psykers are better used as such.

Shoot everything and make note of who you cause a Ld check to.

Pick the most expensive or threatening of the units you cause a Ld check on. Weaken Resolve them. Best way to do this is string out your psykers so that each one can see as much of the board as possible. Remember, not all of them need LoS, just one, to the target your weakening.
Old 09 Jul 2009, 02:34   #9 (permalink)
Shas'Saal

Quote:
Originally Posted by Valkyrie
Pick the most expensive or threatening of the units you cause a Ld check on. Weaken Resolve them. Best way to do this is string out your psykers so that each one can see as much of the board as possible. Remember, not all of them need LoS, just one, to the target your weakening.
But Psykers are weak, so you also need to place them in such a way that they always get a cover save and aren't easy targets to the enemy. I'd take a Chimera. Cheap, dual Heavy Bolters and enough access points for your warp dudes to have LoS to potential targets.

Cheers,
-Silver
Silver is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09 Jul 2009, 04:36   #10 (permalink)
Shas'O

Send a message via MSN to Jeff Send a message via Yahoo to Jeff

spread them behind some line guardsmen then? place them in cover? I'd rather put that chimera or 55 points to better use on scoring units.