Tau Empire Codex 2013 | Army Builder Program
Dark Angels Codex 2013
Chaos Daemons Codex 2013
Chaos Space Marines Codex 2012

Warhammer 40k Forum Tau Online

Warhammer 40K Forum

Help me build a Rogue Trader Entourage and Mercenaries using IG rules!
Old 06 Jul 2009, 21:06   #1 (permalink)
Shas'Vre

Default Help me build a Rogue Trader Entourage and Mercenaries using IG rules!

So I've recently had the idea to fiddle with my bitz box and maybe lay out some cash and put together a small 500 point force to represent a Rogue Trader, his entourage, and some hired mercenaries. I think the current IG rules will work wonderfully well. I put together a list (see below) that I think will work reasonably well at 500 points (and be fun to play), but I am open to any suggestions you folks may have.

While I would like some input on the list and conversion ideas, what I am really after here are suggestions on what fluff to use for the various members of this force (i.e. should a specific model be a xenos, or a human? What sort of xenos, names, gear suggestions, etc.). Suggestions on list building and conversion ideas would be fantastic, but aren't the focus of this thread.

The List:
HQ
Rogue Trader & Entourage (Counts as Company Commander and attendants)
- Rogue Trader w/Powerfist & laspistol
- Medic (Possibly a Tau Firewarrior?)
- Vox Operator
- Meltagunner
- Meltagunner
- Astropath (The ship needs a navigator)
- Water Caste Tau - (Counts as an Officer of the Fleet)
- Master of Ordnance? (Should I have one? Would it be better to replace him with, say, a priest, or just ditch him entirely?)
- Bodyguard
- Bodyguard
- Carapace Armor for squad

ELITE
Loxatl Mercenary (Counts as Sly Marbo)

TROOPS
Elite Boarding Party (Counts as Veteran Squad)
- Vox operator
- Meltagunner
- Flamer
- Grenade Launcher

Hired Mercenaries (Counts as Penal Legionnaires)

If something in the list above is italicized, it means that I am looking for suggestions on what race it should be, what fluff might go with the individual, and what bits you think might make for an interesting conversion. Think the Vox-operator in the entourage ought to be a cut-throat Tarellian Dog-Soldier, then just say so! You don't have to be terribly specific here, I'm open to a variety of suggestions.

I'm a bit stuck on look of the Earth Caste and Water Caste Tau. I know that the Earth Caste are supposedly short and stocky, and the Water Caste are tall and thin (though not as thin as Air Caste). Does anyone know where I might find reference pictures of them?
Old 07 Jul 2009, 00:17   #2 (permalink)
Shas'Vre

Send a message via MSN to Hoarday
Default Re: Rogue Trader Entourage and Mercenaries using IG rules

I like the idea, aside from the Tau inclusions. They make use of mercs sort of, but don't hire themselves out to others, and especially not from Earth or Water Caste. I could maybe wrap my head around someone having picked up a few stray Fire Caste troops, but definately not anything else.

List suggestions: I've never like mixing different weapons in squad so I take issue with the vet squad's lay out. I'd pick one weapon and stick with it. You're a bit short on models too with only the 2, 10 man troops squads and a very point heavy command group. While it may be fluffy, I really don't think you need every advisor slot filled for a 500 point battle.
Old 07 Jul 2009, 03:42   #3 (permalink)
Shas'Vre

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jordan
I like the idea, aside from the Tau inclusions. They make use of mercs sort of, but don't hire themselves out to others, and especially not from Earth or Water Caste. I could maybe wrap my head around someone having picked up a few stray Fire Caste troops, but definately not anything else.
I suppose I could see why you wouldn't buy any Earth Caste (and my idea for him could easily be ported to a firewarrior), but why no Water Caste? Aren't they the ones who are most often exposed to humanity? And they are merchants par excellance, no? One would think a Rogue Trader might well try and secure the services of one. But aside from that, any thoughts on the other members of the force?

Quote:
List suggestions: I've never like mixing different weapons in squad so I take issue with the vet squad's lay out. I'd pick one weapon and stick with it. You're a bit short on models too with only the 2, 10 man troops squads and a very point heavy command group. While it may be fluffy, I really don't think you need every advisor slot filled for a 500 point battle.
Good point on the HQ, but I think it's going to be top heavy purely because of the concept. I can't figure out any real reason to include a Master of Ordnance, so I'll probably cut a little fat there, which would let me put more meltaguns into the Vet squad.

I'm usually a Thousand Sons player, and my 1500 point force is less than 50 models, so I thought 31 models would be pretty large at 500 points. Perhaps this isn't the case here?
Old 07 Jul 2009, 06:32   #4 (permalink)
Shas'La

Quote:
Originally Posted by IcyCool
HQ
Hired Mercenaries (Counts as Penal Legionnaires)[/i]
I use a squad of catachans painted with orange vests to denote the penal legion in my army. Though I am toying with the idea of using Kroot Mercs, or converting some 40k beastmen. As you are going with the inclusion of some Tau, the Kroot are fairly fluffly as well. Though, I'd like to hear how you'd explain the hiring of mutants to an Inquisitor who happened to pass by.
Old 07 Jul 2009, 19:32   #5 (permalink)
Shas'Vre

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bocephus
I use a squad of catachans painted with orange vests to denote the penal legion in my army. Though I am toying with the idea of using Kroot Mercs, or converting some 40k beastmen. As you are going with the inclusion of some Tau, the Kroot are fairly fluffly as well. Though, I'd like to hear how you'd explain the hiring of mutants to an Inquisitor who happened to pass by.
I'm not too terribly stuck on the idea of having Tau present, just that they would be an easy inclusion. I am pretty keen on the Loxatl Merc operating as a counts-as Sly Marbo though.

I suppose the question I should have asked is, "What would be your ideal members of a Rogue Trader Entourage?" I'm looking for at least 5 members of the Entourage (including the Rogue Trader) to be human, so that leaves 4 or 5 members to be some sort of xenos (there's also plenty of room for a xenos or two in the two other squads). Preferably something that won't get him purged by the Inquisition, but anything that skates dangerously close to that line would be ok.

I'll edit the first post to reflect the "No Earth Caste" idea.

Edit - Also, if this belongs elsewhere, please let me know where and I'll happily ask a mod to move it.
Old 08 Jul 2009, 00:02   #6 (permalink)
Shas'Vre

Send a message via MSN to Hoarday
Default Re: Help me build a Rogue Trader Entourage and Mercenaries using IG rules!

I'm no expert on Tau fluff, but Water Caste always seemed to be very specifically working for the state. While they're the ones dealing with humans and outsiders, I think it'd be unlikely they'd ever be employed by one. Water Caste do their work to benefit the Tau Empire first and foremost. Rogue Traders typically are out to increase their own personal wealth. As for ideas for entourage members, servitors or travelling eldar rangers. You're best bet is really to just make up a few of your own races, most of the ones that have been laid out by GW absolutely hate humans and wouldn't be found working alongside one. Employing aliens is a tricky idea to get by the Inquisition as well. Even the most moderate Inquisitors would be unlikely to tolerate alliance with any alien aside from maybe the Eldar.
Old 08 Jul 2009, 06:24   #7 (permalink)
Shas'La

Default Re: Help me build a Rogue Trader Entourage and Mercenaries using IG rules!

Quote:
Employing aliens is a tricky idea to get by the Inquisition as well. Even the most moderate Inquisitors would be unlikely to tolerate alliance with any alien aside from maybe the Eldar.
I'd disagree on that. Many of the Ordos have a healthy respect for macro-politics. I'll point to Amberly Vail of the Commissar Cain series. She worked to avoid a war with the Tau by displaying respect towards the Xenos. The proximity to the Tau would like have a impact, as well. Those Inquisitors on the far side of the galaxy can be as hardlined as they want, as long as they don't have to get involved. In any event, I'm straying off the point IcyCool intended.
Old 08 Jul 2009, 23:43   #8 (permalink)
Shas'Vre

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bocephus
In any event, I'm straying off the point IcyCool intended.
A little, but the info is good to know. However, I'm under the impression that Rogue Traders, of all Imperial citizens, are the most likely to have extensive interaction with Xenos. In the rare instance that they get boarded by members of the Inquisition, that's when you order your more heinous Xenos crew to hide in the smuggling compartments until they go away.
Old 12 Jul 2009, 02:01   #9 (permalink)
Shas'Ui

Send a message via AIM to PsyBomb Send a message via Yahoo to PsyBomb

While a Water Caste Tau would not hire himself out as a mercenary, there are two ways to go about including him:

1) He's part of the Entourage, which could be more of a Diplomat or someone in negotiations, helping him for the time being while resolving some trade point.
2) He's from the Farsight Enclave, which has been known to go mercenary to help support themselves.

As for Kroot Mercs, keep in mind that they will not EVER work in the same place as an Empire Tau. If you use a Farsight diplomat, it could work

Snow Forces of T'olku Sept: 3/4/2
... I like to think I'm learning, though
PsyBomb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12 Jul 2009, 15:32   #10 (permalink)
Shas'Vre

Quote:
Originally Posted by PsyBomb
2) He's from the Farsight Enclave, which has been known to go mercenary to help support themselves.
Interesting. Out of curiosity, do Farsight Enclave members change their names? (Normally their names include their homeworld or sept, right?