Chaos Daemons Codex 2013
Chaos Space Marines Codex 2012

Warhammer 40k Forum Tau Online

Warhammer 40K Forum

New to IG
Old 06 Jul 2009, 20:43   #1 (permalink)
Shas'Saal

Default New to IG

Sup IG. Just joined the ranks of you guys with my purchase of two old Catachan battleforces. They were at a pre-price-raise price and I figured I had to buy them for the value, given that there was 2 sentinels as opposed to one.

After glancing at the codex have a few questions:
1. It seems to me like you would take bolters where ever possible, as they're only a 2 point upgrade. Is this the case?
2. How viable a tactic is it to spam plasmaguns in your command squad? This would make them a bullet magnet, but if you upgrade them to FNP, would it help?
3. How important are sentinels now? I heard of outflanking one or two with flamers, but would you ever use more than 2?
Old 07 Jul 2009, 06:31   #2 (permalink)
Shas'La

Default Re: New to IG

1. Bolters and bolt pistols are usually restricted to officers and sergeants only. Basic troop may not purchase the upgrade.

2. --

3. Sentinels are great surprises. I wouldnt reccomend putting a flamer on em because that would make them a short ranged and very vunlnerable target. They can easily be taken down with S4 weapons or CC. They are open topped too which makes things worse. They have low survivability if you choose to outflank but they can easily make up their points depending on your target priority. Sentinels are beautiful things, especially armored Lascannon sentinels. They will be fire magnets.
Old 07 Jul 2009, 07:18   #3 (permalink)
Shas'O

Send a message via MSN to Jeff Send a message via Yahoo to Jeff

For a good and proper Catachan, spam Flame and Melta Weapons. The odd plasma gun is good but not so fluffy.

Veteran squad with Harker, Heavy Flamer and 3 flamers is some serious rolling against any squad.

Marbo is classic for any catachan list.

Straken is invaluable to a Catachan list for his abilities. Fantastic Character.

As for your other questions. Sentinels are great and very fluffy in a Catachan list. Try out 2 units of scout and a unit of heavy (with no lascannons if you want to stick with fluff).

Bolters are not that great. Maybe the odd commander but it adds up over time.
Old 07 Jul 2009, 08:14   #4 (permalink)
Shas'La

Quote:
Originally Posted by Valkyrie
Veteran squad with Harker, Heavy Flamer and 3 flamers is some serious rolling against any squad.
The Heavy Flamer isn't a Heavy Weapon Team, it's a special weapon that is 0-1 per squad and still counts as one of you 0-3 special weapons. You can take a Veteran Squad with 2 Flamers and 1 Heavy Flamer, but not 3+1.

I like my Plasma spam, preferably from inside my Chimeras. I still lose guys, but usually only to my own bad luck.
Old 07 Jul 2009, 18:46   #5 (permalink)
Shas'Saal

Thanks for the input guys.

As to the bolters, I meant as to whether or not it should be taken with officers. From the SM perspective, a 2 point upgrade is dirt cheap, and I thought I would take it whenever possible on my officers.

I could spam melta-weapons in my command squad then, but that would mean the commander would need to be dangerously close to the enemy.

So, could I try and replicate the Ork template spam by sticking Harker and his special weapon team in a Chimera?

Fluff will be important later on when I take them to tournaments, so maybe if I buy alternate heads from pig iron or something I can call them "not-catachans" and circumvent people's heads exploding at me not playing Catachans properly.
Old 08 Jul 2009, 03:23   #6 (permalink)
Shas'La

Quote:
Originally Posted by pikeZ33
I could spam melta-weapons in my command squad then, but that would mean the commander would need to be dangerously close to the enemy.
Well, unless you are heavily relying on orders from your Platoon Command Squad, I'd say stick them in a Chimera w/ turret Multilaser and hull Heavy Flamer, and use them as an assault force. However, since Chimera isn't fast, you can't go more than 6" and still shoot any of it's weapons, nor can passengers fire. You could disembark at the end of a 12" move though, and still shoot your Assault and RF weapons.
Old 09 Jul 2009, 21:09   #7 (permalink)
Shas'O

Location: That bitter taste in the back of your throat, the one kinda wrapped around your uvula that is all that's left of your Pride.

Quote:
However, since Chimera isn't fast, you can't go more than 6" and still shoot any of it's weapons, nor can passengers fire
If the guys inside carry heavy weapons they cant shoot if the chimera moves, but if they carry assault weapons, can they fire if the vehical moves over 6"? or can they fire regardless of how far it moves?
Quote:
Originally Posted by Shas'o Ahab
In parting, I've discovered why Farsight started his breakaway faction...
*Farsight looks at Dawn Blade* "Shiny..."*Farsight picks up Dawn Blade and looks around* "... let's be bad guys."
Quote:
Originally Posted by The man they call Waffles
Jayne you y'xa'uuk legend
The Man They Call Jayne is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09 Jul 2009, 22:10   #8 (permalink)
Shas'La

Page 66 under the heading "Fire Points"

Basically it says if the vehicle moves, the passenger counts as moving. If the vehicle moved at cruising speed during that movement phase, no passengers may fire. I think it doesn't matter if it is a Fast vehicle.
Old 09 Jul 2009, 23:26   #9 (permalink)
Shas'La

Quote:
Originally Posted by Redemption
1. Bolters and bolt pistols are usually restricted to officers and sergeants only. Basic troop may not purchase the upgrade.
Not wholly true, as only Officers may take bolters now. Dang GW...
General_Dakari is offline   Reply With Quote