Chaos Daemons Codex 2013
Chaos Space Marines Codex 2012

Warhammer 40k Forum Tau Online

Warhammer 40K Forum

The Executioner
Old 06 Jul 2009, 02:09   #1 (permalink)
Kroot Shaper

Default The Executioner

As I page through the codex and rethink my list occasionally, I can't help but be drawn to the Executioner. I remember scoffing when I first saw this thing in IA years ago. It was pathetically undergunned for its price (in my opinion) and I couldn't actually imagine using up a valuable Heavy Support slot to field one. Now things have changed considerably.

The Executioner, when outfitted with Plasma Cannon sponsons, throws a truly amazing hail of blast templates capable of obliterating full sized Terminator squad or pounding the Monstrous Creature of your choice to a twitching half-melted pulp. It also ravages light vehicles, especialy those in squadrons. There are, however, a couple of drawbacks to the Executioner that jump out at me.

1. It is of limited or no use against higher armor value (12-14) vehicles unless upgraded with a hull mounted Lascannon, which would be using the tank for something other than its intended purpose and therefore not a wise use of points.

2. In many circumstances, the heavy weight of so much plasma fire may be somewhat wasted against horde armies, who can often soak up this kind of high strength fire by simply throwing more whimpering targets in front of it.

3. When outfitted to be the sexy plasma spewing beast described above, the Executioner is nauseatingly expensive. The thing starts getting pretty close to a Land Raider if you throw any further upgrades on it. I have considered fielding one without the sponsons, but you're still looking at a very high price and at least one less plasma blast each turn.

4. The Executioner seems like it would draw an incredible amount of attention from enemy anti-tank weaponry. I've never actually seen one fielded, but can imagine that if I was facing one I'd be pretty happy to see it at least not shooting for a turn.

Anyway, any thoughts on the Executioner? Are my above assumptions correct? Is there anything I'm missing, or has anybody out there had exceptional luck with this beast?
Old 06 Jul 2009, 02:15   #2 (permalink)
Shas'O

Default Re: The Executioner

I've seen it melt Terminators and gaunts/warrior hordes well enough.

While it may not be able to single handedly stop a horde, this thing can pretty easily stop Nob bikers and many things that hide behind 2/3+ armor and inflict enough damage on packed horde armies that it's worth it.

It is expensive though... Which is a thought.

Seventh Sanctum signature oddities.
Alignment: Neutral Pessimistic
Area of Magical Study: Practical Chronomancy
Favorite Spells: Divine Spell of the Cotton Candy Golem and Field of Bacon.

Proud supporter of Joe Wood!

Makes this your one good deed a day.
http://www.thehungersite.com/
enderwiggin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06 Jul 2009, 02:18   #3 (permalink)
Zen
Ethereal

Send a message via MSN to Zen

Quote:
1. It is of limited or no use against higher armor value (12-14) vehicles unless upgraded with a hull mounted Lascannon, which would be using the tank for something other than its intended purpose and therefore not a wise use of points.
Why are you using a rock to cut a carrot? They're meant as TEQ/MC-Hunters.

Quote:
2. In many circumstances, the heavy weight of so much plasma fire may be somewhat wasted against horde armies, who can often soak up this kind of high strength fire by simply throwing more whimpering targets in front of it.
Good point but of course, you may want to shoot at the more elite units such as Nobz, Carnifexes, Terminators etc first before you want to turn your fire upon the grunts.

Quote:
3. When outfitted to be the sexy plasma spewing beast described above, the Executioner is nauseatingly expensive. The thing starts getting pretty close to a Land Raider if you throw any further upgrades on it. I have considered fielding one without the sponsons, but you're still looking at a very high price and at least one less plasma blast each turn.
Depends on the player, some might buy the sponsons and some may not.

Quote:
4. The Executioner seems like it would draw an incredible amount of attention from enemy anti-tank weaponry. I've never actually seen one fielded, but can imagine that if I was facing one I'd be pretty happy to see it at least not shooting for a turn.
Everything in your Guard army should be expendable. A loss is negligible. Also, get more high priority targets such as more Leman Russes, Valkyries/Vendettas, 50-man Combined Infantry Squad, Company Command Squad etc.
Zen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06 Jul 2009, 02:43   #4 (permalink)
Kroot Shaper

Quote:
Originally Posted by Zenai
Why are you using a rock to cut a carrot? They're meant as TEQ/MC-Hunters.
Of course. This is exactly the point I was making. In contrast, a tank such as the Demolisher can cut carrots quite well when the need arises.

Quote:
Everything in your Guard army should be expendable. A loss is negligible. Also, get more high priority targets such as more Leman Russes, Valkyries/Vendettas, 50-man Combined Infantry Squad, Company Command Squad etc.
I agree that everything should be expendable. This is where my concerns come in about the price tag of a fully kitted out Executioner. There is a kind of points-cost boundary in my mind between "Expendable" and "Ouch!". For me it's a kind of subconscious thing and I don't know what the precise number is, but it's somewhere between the cost of a moderately buffed out Leman Russ MBT and an upgraded Executioner.

Any well built Guard army will provide an opponent with tough choices about what to target next, but the Executioner still seems to beg to be shot to pieces.
Old 06 Jul 2009, 03:03   #5 (permalink)
Zen
Ethereal

Send a message via MSN to Zen

Quote:
Of course. This is exactly the point I was making. In contrast, a tank such as the Demolisher can cut carrots quite well when the need arises.
Well, the Executioner has a longer range and 3 small blast templates. But I guess that's personal opinion.

Quote:
I agree that everything should be expendable. This is where my concerns come in about the price tag of a fully kitted out Executioner. There is a kind of points-cost boundary in my mind between "Expendable" and "Ouch!". For me it's a kind of subconscious thing and I don't know what the precise number is, but it's somewhere between the cost of a moderately buffed out Leman Russ MBT and an upgraded Executioner.
LRBT is about 150-Points~ish and the Executioner is about 200-Points~ish. Again, personal opinion.
Zen is offline   Reply With Quote