Dark Angels Codex 2013
Chaos Daemons Codex 2013
Chaos Space Marines Codex 2012

Warhammer 40k Forum Tau Online

Warhammer 40K Forum

I'd like to start an IG army, but...
Old 22 Jun 2009, 22:56   #1 (permalink)
Kroot Shaper

Default I'd like to start an IG army, but...

I've been wanting to start an Imperial Guard army for some time now, but after the price hike, I'm much more hesitant to even consider it.

Originally, I wanted to have an army that revolved around large amounts of basic troops and heavy weapon teams, but that option now seems to be beyond my limited means. Do you have any ideas for a fairly cost effective Imperial Guard army, or is such a thing all but impossible?
Ashanarubabi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23 Jun 2009, 00:19   #2 (permalink)
Shas'La

Default Re: I'd like to start an IG army, but...

You can always Ebay it, although now would seem like a good time for people to hold on to their armies. So i'm not sure how cheaply you'd get it. More than half my tau were from Ebay, in good condition, and it would have easily cost me double to buy them new from GW.
Shas O Behavva is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23 Jun 2009, 00:29   #3 (permalink)
Kroot Shaper

Ah yes, if i had a nickel for every time i heard that, i could maybe buy a hellhound and that's a lot of nickels.

In all seriousness, ebay is your friend, specially if you live in the US. Even if you live in a more remote country (Canada like me or Europe or Asia) you can still find pretty decent deals with low shipping.
Also, visit local hobby shops. Most of them in Montreal have a used model section. You can find GREAT deals in there.
Also, you can visit your local gaming clubs and if you are lucky you can find some player selling models directly. (you skip on the store cut).

Works for me, and thats how i bought 1700pts of IG.
Tyranids 1 / 0 / 0
Imperial Guard 0 / 3 / 0
Orks 1 / 0 / 0
levincent is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23 Jun 2009, 01:50   #4 (permalink)
Shas'El

Send a message via AIM to Tausand sun Send a message via Yahoo to Tausand sun

Forget ebay wayland games and a few select others are EXCELENT places to go, offering up to 30% off normal retail price. I don't know how they do it, but I don't want to testify against my gift horse either so...

Then again I saved $70 using them... then turned around and spent a small fortune on three tanks from forgeworld....
"The Imperium has abandoned us brothers! And these blue-skinned "saviors" seek only to enslave us. Follow me and march to freedom so we might transform the galaxy into a peaceful place for all sentient species!" -- Commander Alexander of the 88th Aldarian Phoenix Regiment
Tausand sun is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24 Jun 2009, 14:40   #5 (permalink)
Kroot Shaper

I found small comic book stores that had old stock of GW that didnt move, they have good deals on the old prices (where else can you pay 3 dollars for an old blister of Ratlings?)

I also work with a few other people I have known for years. I buy a tank (like my Vindicator) and I didnt like it, so I had it off to him and tell him to paint ti War Smurf Blue. Someone else buys a mini, test runs it a few times, doesnt like it, it gets handed off.

That and an Orc player that likes to scratch make models or "improve" on GW ones, is your friends. Buddy of mine made Hulks for BattleFleet Gothic, he had spare parts for Choas and Imp, (from were he spent way to much money on ships he wanted to cut up) I tossed him parts I didnt need, and he tossed me left overs.

Then there are the other options of Ebay, Birthdays and Christmas. Or having a great girlfriend who buys you the "little army guys" at random (even if you didnt need that one) just so you can sit home and cut/glue/paint all weekend with her. (Which is also nice when you slip with a razor and cut a hug gash in your thumb and bleed all over a Chaos Character...someone is there to help glue your thumb together and bandage it up...BTW, it's been 4 days and the cuts still open..think I should get it sewed up?)
BlackTemplar40K is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24 Jun 2009, 23:21   #6 (permalink)
Kroot Shaper

Unfortunately, I donít have too many options (as in none) in the way of buying used or old models at hobby shops, but there are several IG players where I am, and possibly more that my friends know of. Iíve also found a couple of good websites that have the stuff I need, and, topping that off with a healthy dose of ebay, so all I need now is to decide what kind of army I wantÖ oh yeah, and make some money.

Quote:
Originally Posted by levincent
Ah yes, if i had a nickel for every time i heard that, i could maybe buy a hellhound and that's a lot of nickels.
990 nickels, to be precise.

Quote:
Originally Posted by BlackTemplar40K
(Which is also nice when you slip with a razor and cut a hug gash in your thumb and bleed all over a Chaos Character...someone is there to help glue your thumb together and bandage it up...BTW, it's been 4 days and the cuts still open..think I should get it sewed up?)
Thatís happened to me before; it closed up eventually, but you may still want to consider having it stitched up. Now I always have some sort of protection on the ends of a few of my fingers, just to be safe.

Thank you for your help, its much appreciated.
Ashanarubabi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25 Jun 2009, 05:18   #7 (permalink)
Kroot Shaper

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ashanarubabi
Unfortunately, I donít have too many options (as in none) in the way of buying used or old models at hobby shops, but there are several IG players where I am, and possibly more that my friends know of. Iíve also found a couple of good websites that have the stuff I need, and, topping that off with a healthy dose of ebay, so all I need now is to decide what kind of army I wantÖ oh yeah, and make some money.
I remember when you bought IG boxes with 20 men in them for about what you pay for 10 now.
Anyone, the cheap road idea. Look for what you want to play. Get the list together so you buy just what you need.
If you can not afford what you want, buy a few things that are cheaper, but eat the points (I know I keep a few figs around that are geared up, for when I need to fill points left over. It pays off in the long run too)
When I needed IG with bolters (which the large number I have from my Death World days are useless) I used spair bolters from the Marines in the starter box I got. Didnt have to buy models for that then.
Remember, sometimes it's cheaper to play something nitch. (Cat Guards were when I started, and none codex marines took points nad had less minis) Then work your way up to what you want.
Play small games. 750 points can be covered with a Lemun Russ, a Bask, Marbo, and a few unites and heavy weapons squads. Then buy a little more when you can, and work to the 1000 point army..then 1200..next thin you know, you have left overs you didnt use, and when you add that in you jump to 1500...
BlackTemplar40K is offline   Reply With Quote