Chaos Daemons Codex 2013
Chaos Space Marines Codex 2012

Warhammer 40k Forum Tau Online

Warhammer 40K Forum

Sentinels vs Heavy Weapon Squads
Old 19 Jun 2009, 03:32   #1 (permalink)
Shas'La

Default Sentinels vs Heavy Weapon Squads

I tried to do a search but it wouldn't let me; so I've started a thread. I also started this thread previously; but the site crashed before I could view any replies--sorry for the re-post.

So I've had a taste of my Catachans, and I went with Sentinels to supply my medium strength fire power instead of the Heavy Weapon Squads (Hereafter referred to as HWS). I did this because of model constraints (one battleforce and a Demolisher) at the time, and still currently haven't purchased more models yet (and won't until I get this box fully painted; a promise to the Fiancee).

Now having used them just a little bit, I was wondering what were the thoughts of the community about Sentinels vs HWS. The first is a highly mobile and simi-resiliant unit that packs less fire power than the later.

So which is the favorite, based on facts or math-hammer; unless it is all just taste (mobility/survivability vs heavy firepower)?
Dreamshift is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19 Jun 2009, 08:09   #2 (permalink)
Shas'Saal

Default Re: Sentinels vs Heavy Weapon Squads

I take Sentinels, but that is because I run an all-Mech veterans army so I CAN'T take heavy weapons squads, I always think that being able to move 6" and still fire weaponary just as heavy as the wep teams (or heavier) Is really worth the few extra points.

@ Zenai: I always take 3 armoured sentinels with lascannons as heavy wep platforms, because they are walkers all it takes is careful positioning and your opponent will always be firing on AV12. I also have 1 scout sentinel with heavy flamer for coming in from board edges and making the enemy bunch up in the centre of the board.

Life is a waste of time, time is a waste of life, so get wasted all of the time and have the time of your life.
Shasau Rmyr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19 Jun 2009, 09:04   #3 (permalink)
Zen
Ethereal

Send a message via MSN to Zen

Sentinels are AV10 vehicle which can be destroyed by a lucky Bolt-shot. Sentinels, overall, are much more vulnerable and they're not meant to be used as a Heavy Weapons Platform. They're suppose to use their Scout USR to outflank and hit the enemy from behind/side. Heavy Weapons Team has the luxury of being shot a few times and being shielded by their more-expendable Guardsmen-comrade before they die themselves. You're comparing Apples and Oranges as well as I have no idea on how you play your army e.g. Static, Foot-Slogging, Mechanized etc.
Zen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19 Jun 2009, 12:34   #4 (permalink)
Kroot Shaper

I commonly use 2 sentinels in a squadron that use outflank and are equipped with multi-lasers. The decent ranger on the laser and the high rate of fire permits easy tank killing (since you will hit the weak rear armor). Those two sentinels have never left me down and they are dirt cheap points wise. I want to acquire 2 more but they arent cheap money wise....

I also use 2 AV12 sentinels acting independently armed with lascannons. They are quite big fire magnets and the AV12 /extra armor comes in handy. As for their sheer killing value...its pretty bad. The bs 3 and 1shot makes it a pain to hit stuff and cause damage. The movement before shooting is great but is work jack if you miss. I've been wanting to test them with plasma cannons or autocannons to see if it will negate the crappy bs.

So far, i have only used sentinels and heavy weapons teams. I wouldn't separate them, both units have their niche and manage to deliver results. Having only hws is possible and will get you alot of static firepower while remaining decently competitive for friendly play. Having only sentinels, me thinks that it would hamper your number of weapons too much. So if you are not going mech/fluff/fun-only, dont go ALL sentinels, use a little.

Hopes my ramblings helped you a little.
Tyranids 1 / 0 / 0
Imperial Guard 0 / 3 / 0
Orks 1 / 0 / 0
levincent is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19 Jun 2009, 21:20   #5 (permalink)
Shas'El

Use both! Both units serve a very good purpose in your army. I've fielded A squadron of 3 scout sentinels equipped with lascannons and camo, and just sat them in some area terrain and shot the hell out of stuff all the while getting a 3+ cover save.

I always field a bunch of HWS in my army, they offer a great amount of firepower for hardly any points. They're much cheaper than sentinels but can't outflank or use their scout move to steal some very nice cover. You can also use those walkers to assault non-CC units and keep them tied up since you'll never have to worry about failing an ld test.

USAFTACP is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21 Jun 2009, 05:09   #6 (permalink)
Shas'La

I don't have my codex on me; scouts can outflank? I thought all they could do was move a free six inches at the beginning of combat; although I could just be running on fourth on that account.

I didn't think of the possibility of a lucky bolt shot ending a 50 point (at least how I run them: scout + Autocannon+Camo Netting) investment.

I run footslogging Catachans (currently at 1250 points I run all of the special Catachan characters and I LOVE it) and have been a fan. I also have only enough pieces for vets only so I can't fit (unless in the squad itself) HWT's; so sentinels have done me nice so far.

Thanks for the input!
Dreamshift is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21 Jun 2009, 05:24   #7 (permalink)
Shas'O

Send a message via AIM to Gatler Send a message via MSN to Gatler

Armoured Sentinels look pretty useful on paper, though I've yet to try them myself. The versatility of their armament is staggering. You can give them plasma cannons, for Vaul's sakes...

For some 180 points I can have a pretty hard to kill anti-infantry squadron, for example, that will happily incinerate anything that gets too close while shrugging off most return fire (from the infantry, anyway.) Hell, I'd hate to see some of those near my infantry if I were fielding Tau.

Mind you, that's not to say that I wouldn't just either flank them or missile pod them to death, but you could still give me headaches with them pretty easily.

"Forgive you? Of course I forgive you. That is your god's function. Your crime is forgiven. However, your stupidity requires a response." - Leto Atreides II, God Emperor of Dune
Gatler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25 Jun 2009, 00:47   #8 (permalink)
Shas'El

I've play-tested with sentinels (Will be recieving eight of them soon, which will be shared by my platoon-club) and found how I like to use them.
Where points allow:
Two squadrons of three with multi-lasers, and a squadron of two with heavy flamers/CCW. The six support sentinels basically 'attach' themselves to infantry units. And since my army relies upon supporting each other, my three-squad platoons are always close together. My three sentinel squadrons can then still be in coherency, whilst supporting the infantry. This is mainly a fluff tactic, as the squadron can only fire upon one target. But that's 9 S6 shots, so it's going to hurt.

The flamethrower duo is used to flank, or used for speed bumping. Since I field a large amount of armor, and my primary opponent loves his fast-moving seraphim, I figure a heavy flamethrower, a chance to hit them, a chance to explode and the simple fact that its taking another turn for the enemy o get to my heavy armor is a good deal for the point cost.

In larger point games I will either cut down squadron/squadron number to make all but the heavy flamers armored (Front Armour buff, meant for CC, attacking rear armor anyway = wasted points). I may have 1 armored squadron of three multi-lasers, 1 scout flamer unit of two, and then a hellhound or something else.

Haven't played too much, but I like the mobility of the sentinels and the little armored protection they have.
Old 28 Jun 2009, 22:03   #9 (permalink)
Shas'Saal

OFC this is all well and good but the curial thing is that sentinels take a fast attack FOC slot which can be better spent on vendettas and devil dogs, much more Killy than sentinels, tho my personal favorite is 3 taros sentinels with indirect fire rocket launchers, they really are usefull
field marshel R Ironballs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28 Jun 2009, 22:09   #10 (permalink)
Shas'El

Quote:
Originally Posted by field marshel R Ironballs
OFC this is all well and good but the curial thing is that sentinels take a fast attack FOC slot which can be better spent on vendettas and devil dogs, much more Killy than sentinels, tho my personal favorite is 3 taros sentinels with indirect fire rocket launchers, they really are usefull
My flluff and real life economic position rules out vendettas, and I already have several Leman Russ class vehicles, so devildogs would just cramp the table. And this is aimed for at lower pointed games.