Chaos Daemons Codex 2013
Chaos Space Marines Codex 2012

Warhammer 40k Forum Tau Online

Warhammer 40K Forum

Stormtrooper squad sizes
Old 17 Jun 2009, 19:21   #1 (permalink)
Shas'O

Default Stormtrooper squad sizes

sorry if this have been asked before, but i could not find any other related topic.

is it good to use Stormtrooper squads with the starting number of 5, or is it recommended to spend the expensive cost for 5 more up to 10-strong squad? i mean they cost as much as a marine, but for less!. sure they have a awesome new lasgun that cuts through power armour. but c'mon!. i want to use Stormies as they fit my drop troops well, but the question was, run them in squads of 5 or in squads of 10?
Old 17 Jun 2009, 20:17   #2 (permalink)
Shas'El

Default Re: Stormtrooper squad sizes

I would strongly advise against using a 5 man squad. They are just too small to do anything decent. I always use a 10-man squad with two meltaguns so they become a very destructive short-range squad. Now that they also have hellpistols with a CCW, they also get 3 attacks each when they charge, which can make them very effective against non-CC units.

USAFTACP is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17 Jun 2009, 22:43   #3 (permalink)
Shas'O

Quote:
Originally Posted by USAFTACP
I would strongly advise against using a 5 man squad. They are just too small to do anything decent. I always use a 10-man squad with two meltaguns so they become a very destructive short-range squad. Now that they also have hellpistols with a CCW, they also get 3 attacks each when they charge, which can make them very effective against non-CC units.
even better, hot-shot laspistols!

i see your point, i think i'll go for 10-strong squads then
Old 17 Jun 2009, 22:48   #4 (permalink)
Shas'Vre

Send a message via MSN to Hoarday

Agree. Ten men with 2 meltaguns is a good investment when used properly. It's a very flexible unit with a an all-purpose standard gun mixed with 2 high powered weapons, and then on top of that you've got 3 free methods of deployment + the option of using a chimera. You can expect heavy casualties to be taken by MEQ squads and a good shot at putting down T5/6 monstrous creatures if they don't have 2+ saves. I don't know many tyranid players who spring for extended carapace these days so you've got a very good shot at taking down hive tyrants and carnifexes in one round of shooting, as well as daemon princes and other MCs. The paired meltaguns and krak grenades on all models makes them excellent anti-tank troops as well.
Old 18 Jun 2009, 00:36   #5 (permalink)
Shas'El

Send a message via AIM to Tausand sun Send a message via Yahoo to Tausand sun

Well for an ultra effective Semi-cheap nearly shure kill tank buster (yes all those qualifiers were NEEDED) I would take a 5 man 2 melta gun squad and give them the doctrine that lets them re roll the deep strike dice. But for just a few points more you can get a 10 man strong anti-tank/marine unit that can multi-task like crazy for cheap too.
"The Imperium has abandoned us brothers! And these blue-skinned "saviors" seek only to enslave us. Follow me and march to freedom so we might transform the galaxy into a peaceful place for all sentient species!" -- Commander Alexander of the 88th Aldarian Phoenix Regiment
Tausand sun is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18 Jun 2009, 13:17   #6 (permalink)
Shas'O

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jordan
Agree. Ten men with 2 meltaguns is a good investment when used properly. It's a very flexible unit with a an all-purpose standard gun mixed with 2 high powered weapons, and then on top of that you've got 3 free methods of deployment + the option of using a chimera. You can expect heavy casualties to be taken by MEQ squads and a good shot at putting down T5/6 monstrous creatures if they don't have 2+ saves. I don't know many tyranid players who spring for extended carapace these days so you've got a very good shot at taking down hive tyrants and carnifexes in one round of shooting, as well as daemon princes and other MCs. The paired meltaguns and krak grenades on all models makes them excellent anti-tank troops as well.
sounds like a good thing. i don't use any tanks though. but they will still take usage of my Vendettas, when not deep striking on their own
Old 18 Jun 2009, 17:15   #7 (permalink)
Shas'La

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tausand sun
Well for an ultra effective Semi-cheap nearly shure kill tank buster (yes all those qualifiers were NEEDED) I would take a 5 man 2 melta gun squad and give them the doctrine that lets them re roll the deep strike dice. But for just a few points more you can get a 10 man strong anti-tank/marine unit that can multi-task like crazy for cheap too.
Those "few" more points could buy you a griffon and then some... just saying.

Personally, I'm all about the 5-man melta deepstrike squad. The reroll of the deepstrike dice is key. Killpoints makes this more of a tricky proposition but you just have to be careful where you land them.
Droofus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18 Jun 2009, 17:40   #8 (permalink)
Shas'El

Send a message via AIM to Tausand sun Send a message via Yahoo to Tausand sun

5 man is good for vehicle destroying but that 10 man squad ... not only can they pop in and kill off a tank. but cause panic in the enemy. "OMG STORMTROOPERS! RUN!!" syndrome as I call it. It's a close relative to the much more virulent OMG Terminators Strand. A 10 man squad can multitask like crazy and be a diversion for the rest of your army to get things done. A 5 man squad just won't be taken as seriously. Or at least that's what I think some of the vets might have a different opinion.
"The Imperium has abandoned us brothers! And these blue-skinned "saviors" seek only to enslave us. Follow me and march to freedom so we might transform the galaxy into a peaceful place for all sentient species!" -- Commander Alexander of the 88th Aldarian Phoenix Regiment
Tausand sun is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18 Jun 2009, 17:54   #9 (permalink)
Shas'El

A 5-man squad is just a very expensive bomb. It's not particularly useful for anything but a suicide drop. A 10-man squad will serve a much better purpose in your army, giving you a better tactical edge than just the one-trick-pony of a suicide squad.

USAFTACP is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18 Jun 2009, 18:19   #10 (permalink)
Shas'La

Quote:
Originally Posted by USAFTACP
A 5-man squad is just a very expensive bomb. It's not particularly useful for anything but a suicide drop. A 10-man squad will serve a much better purpose in your army, giving you a better tactical edge than just the one-trick-pony of a suicide squad.
It ought to, its taking a griffon out of my army (not that I have a griffon model - one day though!)

In my experience, 10 meatbags die just as quick as 5. 5 will get charged and killed while 10 will get charged, lose 5 and break and run. For me, it's 80 points spent on something that will die just as easy. You can say "don't let them get charged" but every use I can think of for stormtroopers involve getting them in close. Using them as static shooters just doesn't jive...

Droofus is offline   Reply With Quote