Chaos Space Marines Codex 2012

Warhammer 40k Forum Tau Online

Warhammer 40K Forum

Guardsman's weakness?
Old 17 Jun 2009, 13:23   #1 (permalink)
Shas'Saal

Send a message via MSN to Atlantis
Default Guardsman's weakness?

folks can some of u tell me what some of guards man's army is cause iam trying to decide between tau and guards
Old 17 Jun 2009, 13:36   #2 (permalink)
Zen
Ethereal

Send a message via MSN to Zen
Default Re: Imperial Guard's Weakness

First thing; fix the grammar and spelling i.e. not 1337 speak, make use of commas and fullstops and capitalize some of you letters as your post is horrific to the eyes to read. Your post should be something like this:
Quote:
Originally Posted by Atlantis
Folks, can some of you tell me what are the weaknesses of the Imperial Guard because I'm trying to decide between Tau and Imperial Guard.
As to your question;
1) They're squishy; they're only T3 and have an Armor Save of 5+. They can be killed right off by Bolters, Shuriken Catapults, Pulse Rifles, Spinefists, Fleshborers and so on and so forth. That's just the basic Infantry weapon that can be found on most armies.
2) Average stats of 3; even their weapon, the Lasgun is Strength 3. So, you will be hitting on 4's or better and wounding on 4's or better. And that's just against T3 units like Eldar or Tau. Most people would play armies with T4 so you will find it hard to wound them with your measly lasgun or in CC, with your S3.
3) Few CC-orientated units; True Fact - the Imperial Guard is not meant for CC. It can do well for Counter-CC when the need comes but don't go around building your Imperial Guard army towards CC because it's a futile attempt and the Guard is meant to shoot it's enemies to death.
Zen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18 Jun 2009, 07:45   #3 (permalink)
Shas'Saal

Send a message via MSN to Atlantis
Default Re: guards mans weakness

how much guardsman squads do u guys take normally for all purposes as well as heavy support teams fire supports and mortars teams for a standard 2k game?
Old 18 Jun 2009, 07:49   #4 (permalink)
Zen
Ethereal

Send a message via MSN to Zen
Default Re: guards mans weakness

Spam the Infantry Squads then spam the Heavy Weapons Squads. So, that's 2 Infantry Platoons with a Platoon Command Squad, 5 Infantry Squads and 1-5 Heavy Weapons Squads (depending on your setup and what upgrades you take for the rest of the army.).
Zen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21 Jun 2009, 18:29   #5 (permalink)
Ethereal

Default Re: Guardsman's weakness?

I wouldn't start a Tau army now if you are trying to decide. Unless you just like the models. The weaknesses of the Guard army are similar to those of the Tau army, but less extreme. They have lesser armor, but 5th Edition is dominated by cover. They have weaker basic weapons, but far more of them. And with the introduction of the flyers they have the ability to take distant objectives where before that was a major weakness. GW gave the guard a pretty massive bonus from 4th to 5th, and the Tau didn't get a power-up from 3rd to 4th.
khanaris is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15 Jul 2009, 02:25   #6 (permalink)
Kroot Warrior

The idea of the guard is to over power the other player.It's like the tyranids,if your opponent looks at your army and says to himself I can't kill all that then you may have already won but I think it's beter with the guard because hevey wepons teams and tanks make things beter for you.For example if you get 2 full infantry platoons (this will cost alot) 10 infantry squads 10 hevey wepon squads 4 special wepon squads and 2 full conscript platoons and decide to merge the infantry squades into a platoon 2 50 man squads they are like conscipts but with bs3.Thats nearly 50 shots with the lasguns and we havent put secial wepons in the squad such as gerenade launchers,Flamers for enemys who get close,plasma and melta guns.Also if you have to officer close by thanks to the new codex you can give orders and us first voly fire! second voly fire! to fire 2 lasgun shots in each gardsman or 4 at '12.And your hevey wepons can kill at a distance and hevey and special wepons can also take out tanks or snipers taking out infantry.Conscrips maybe acting as distractions or just helping in fighting.(a big game or a large part of your army)
snarst is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16 Jul 2009, 02:32   #7 (permalink)
Shas'Saal

guardsmen aren't a beggining team. unlike space marines, you cant throw them into battle and not worry. the imperial guard is like an extremely sharp glass knife. though deadly, if used as a blunt stiking stick it'll shatter. Tanks-unlike what i said before, tanks are best thing about imperial guard. Screw tau and their fancy little plasma guns, an earthshaker strike means the last words for the enemy, as well as the demolishers and battle cannons. While im at it, Screw ALL the other teams besides dark templar and IG. they win by muscle, not brains, and the only way to prove that your good at warhammer 40K at all is to either play D.T. or I.G., or just beat someone who keeps on winning with those two. These armies are unpopular because they aren't an easy immeadiate victory , and that's why anybody who plays them will have any skill whatsoever in their short pointless lives.

-Mike Tyson
Super heavy gunner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17 Jul 2009, 13:51   #8 (permalink)
Shas'Ui

Quote:
Originally Posted by Super heavy gunner
While im at it, Screw ALL the other teams besides dark templar and IG. they win by muscle, not brains, and the only way to prove that your good at warhammer 40K at all is to either play D.T. or I.G., or just beat someone who keeps on winning with those two. These armies are unpopular because they aren't an easy immeadiate victory , and that's why anybody who plays them will have any skill whatsoever in their short pointless lives.
Hash mutch? Besides, if you win with IG it MAY BE BECAUSE
Quote:
GW gave the guard a pretty massive bonus from 4th to 5th
I can agree that SM take less skill, with their 3+ basic armor, their Terminators and Drop Pods, but I know for a fact that playing Tau also takes skill. 4+ Armor, CC FAILURE, FOF getting Nerfed int 5th, Tau also are a tough army to play.
Originally Posted by Shaman from DakkaDakka
Hoping for balance with GW is like hoping to live while playing Russian roulette with a glock.
SteelPanther is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17 Jul 2009, 15:39   #9 (permalink)
Shas'O

Gentlemen, please avoid army bashing. You may support a specific army, but in general, advertising your support is irrelevent to the topic and considered spam.
Old 17 Jul 2009, 22:55   #10 (permalink)
Kroot Warrior

IG can be flavored in many ways.You could just pound you opponent to death with arty and defend you position while they die at range or you could charge in with hevey tanks and kill them or over power them with infantry wave after wave.
snarst is offline   Reply With Quote