Chaos Daemons Codex 2013
Chaos Space Marines Codex 2012

Warhammer 40k Forum Tau Online

Warhammer 40K Forum

Vultures for heavy support
Old 02 Jun 2009, 20:24   #1 (permalink)
Shas'O

Default Vultures for heavy support

just a little question. i can take Vultures as heavy support for my army, using the IA: Apoc rules (and they say its a heavy sup choice for regular games). i want to replace tanks altogheter and thought the Vults would complement my Valks nicely, to add some firepower. so is this allowed? as long as oponent agree i guess.

note: im not planning on using this list in any tournies or anything

3 Vultures to cover 3 heavy suppoort slots, i guess, since they are not in squadrons if i remember right?
Old 02 Jun 2009, 20:28   #2 (permalink)
Shas'El

Default Re: Vultures for heavy support

Well if you're using IA Apocalypse rules then you can take a single Vulture per Heavy Suport.
A note on Oponents Consent:
This is a tricky one but for all purposes (and from reading IA Apoc. intro) you can use any non super heavies or flyer without permition but permission is required for flyers for some strange reason (actually, permition is not required for Super Heavies as long as you are playing at least 2 detatchments per side)
Unless a tournament orgaiser says you can use IA rules then you CAN'T use them
jimmy_mymail is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03 Jun 2009, 09:25   #3 (permalink)
Shas'La

I wouldn't allow an opponent to use apocalypse units in standard 40K games as they are generally all way to cheap/powerful for what they are! I would however be fine with an opponent using the standard IA rule's, as they were designed for 40K so are balanced. Vultures are one of my favorite IA units and I have often thought about getting 3 for my drop troop's.
Sardis Varrn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03 Jun 2009, 17:41   #4 (permalink)
Shas'El

Imperial Armour Apocalypse is an IA book and the Vulture has almost identical points and rules and stats to previous version (or maybe identical, i'm not compeltley sure)
The vulture isn't an apocalypse unit even if from IAA and it isn't overpowered either
Old 03 Jun 2009, 19:19   #5 (permalink)
Shas'La

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sardis Varrn
I wouldn't allow an opponent to use apocalypse units in standard 40K games
Colonel Sorck already mentioned it, but to clarify, IA: Apocalypse, despite having "Apocalypse" in the title, is also the official replacement for IA Update 2006. Every unit in it is the official current IA rules for that unit. It presents them using the Apocalypse Datasheet format for convenience but also lists what FOC slot they occupy (such as "1-3 are a Heavy choice"), and it also features some Apocalypse-only formation data sheets.

Additionally, as of IA6 (Vraks 2), IA Flyer rules are now identical to the Apoc flyer rules. The old IA flyer rules are deprecated.
Old 03 Jun 2009, 20:15   #6 (permalink)
Shas'La

Right after having a look at the apoc vulture rules I will admit that its not to bad and I wouldn't have to many problems with it, but you would need your opponants permision if your using any none codex unit(s). It does however use the apoc barrage rules for its bombs so you will be using apoc rules in standard 40K. IA apoc just "updates" the rules for IA units that aren't in the main apoc rulebook that's why the baneblade isn't in there! Does that mean that its fine to take them in a standard 40K game, hell no! My point is that a lot of the units in that book are unbalanced for a standard game of 40K, I could easily take 3 Baneblades in my standard 2000pt guard army and wipe the board with any opponent who wasn't using apoc units by turn 3 at the latest! If you are wanting to use these type's of units why not just play apoc? If your still not sure what I am getting at look at the Baneblade rules and points in IA vol1 which WAS designed for use with 40K, and then compare them with the current apoc rules for it!
Old 03 Jun 2009, 20:21   #7 (permalink)
Shas'O

sounds good, and btw, i havnt planned on using bombs on mine, but the other weapons. i don't really like one-use-only weapons anyway.
Old 03 Jun 2009, 20:23   #8 (permalink)
Shas'El

If you read carfully all super heavies (except for Manta) say:
Quote:
1-3 x are a Warmachine detatchment for an x army
This means you can take Super Heavies in a standard game but must be using them as your armies second detatchment.

You don't need permission for using anything from Ia books except for Flyers which you do for some reason (perhaps becuase they are hard to destroy) Super-heavies are allowed without oponents permission if you are playing a multi detatchment game.

Bombs are cool
Old 03 Jun 2009, 20:34   #9 (permalink)
Shas'La

Anything that isn't in a current legal codex needs opponents permission to use, as its an unfair advantage otherwise! Why do you think that tournaments don't allow this stuff?
Old 03 Jun 2009, 20:51   #10 (permalink)
Shas'El

Tourneys are the only exception- read IAA and the intro.