Tau Empire Codex 2013 | Army Builder Program
Dark Angels Codex 2013
Chaos Daemons Codex 2013
Chaos Space Marines Codex 2012

Warhammer 40k Forum Tau Online

Warhammer 40K Forum

How come I don't see much of the Valhalans?
Old 01 Jun 2009, 17:08   #1 (permalink)
Shas'Saal

Default How come I don't see much of the Valhalans?

I Recently picked up the Guardex and gave it a good read through and a certain character caught my attention...

Kubrik Chenkov sounds like THE Commander to have!

I mean who doesn't want 50 conscripts that have something similar to without number!!??

Leading on from this maybe any Vet Guard players could assist in whats good and whats not about all this and what I need too start collecting to start this army?

And comments welcome ;D
ZoDan.!
x x x
Old 01 Jun 2009, 19:09   #2 (permalink)
Shas'La

Default Re: How come I don't see much of the Valhalans?

The reason you don't see many Valhallan forces is that they're an all metal army. Normally though if you do come across one it is under the control of veteran who collected the army from back when metal guard armies were the standard. On the odd chance there are a few newer players who get into the army just because of the look and want something different than the current plastics.

The problem I see with "Without Number" is two fold. In games using victory points, when you recycle the unit you destroy it surrendering the points. If the same unit gets wiped out again then the points are awarded to your opponent again. The same stands for Kill points. Seeing how a lot of the scenarios I come across are based on victory points or kill points, surrendering that much can cost you the game. Plus a full 50 man squad with this rule costs 275 points. A sizeable chunk of recycling there.

But you don't want to know what he does with his left...
Twiggen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01 Jun 2009, 19:21   #3 (permalink)
Shas'El

Its not just that they are a metal army. But they are an arse over face ugly model set! they're hideous!

But just because he is a valhallan character doesn't mean you can't use him outside of a valhallan army. You could use his stats but change his name to fit your regiment. That is what i'm doing with the two named vet sergents and possible straken...
Old 01 Jun 2009, 19:24   #4 (permalink)
Shas'La

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chris the Original
But just because he is a valhallan character doesn't mean you can't use him outside of a valhallan army. You could use his stats but change his name to fit your regiment. That is what i'm doing with the two named vet sergents and possible straken...
That is absolutely accetable as well. Thanks for mentioning that Chris. As long as it is clear which model is representing the special character there is nothing wrong with that. So you don't necessarily need a Valhallan army to do your tactic, but I still question its use.

But you don't want to know what he does with his left...
Twiggen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01 Jun 2009, 20:44   #5 (permalink)
Shas'El

I don't think you are quite understanding the rule. It means that when /if your 50 man strong squad to get depleted into lower single digit numbers, then you can choose to kill them off and bring on another 50 man strong squad. so basically when you buy chenkov you are also buying another 50 troops as well. while kill points are an issue, it will take alot to kill 50 let alone 100!
Old 01 Jun 2009, 23:23   #6 (permalink)
Shas'Saal

Quote:
Its not just that they are a metal army. But they are an D'yi over face ugly model set! they're hideous!

I'll have to disagree here, I've seen some incredibly well painted Valhallans. You really can do a lot with them. Beauty is in the eye of the beholder I suppose.

Ash from Ammo Bunker

The people have suffered years of warfare. Only the King of Qin can stop the chaos by uniting all under Heaven
Krumpa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02 Jun 2009, 00:35   #7 (permalink)
Shas'Ui

Quote:
Its not just that they are a metal army. But they are an D'yi over face ugly model set! they're hideous!

Well as above, thats an opinion really
I think they look okey. equal or better than Cadians.

It's just a game... have fun!
Vash is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02 Jun 2009, 01:01   #8 (permalink)
Shas'Ui

Quote:
Originally Posted by ZoDan

I mean who doesn't want 50 conscripts that have something similar to without number!!??
Fifty conscripts I find will rarely be killed off in any extent for me to want to bring them back, I usually am about three quarters across the table before I've suffered serious casaulties and by then I have usually wiped most opponents off the board.

That is not to say that Send in the Next Wave! is useless, smaller 30 man squads I find can do quite well with this, especially in spearhead missions.

That is also not to be against taking Chenkov, I love the fluff behing him and with a 12" command radius two orders a turn and wargear added on too, he's one tough cookie.

I have a somewhat nefarious platoon commander in my army amongst my gaming circle who leads a full infantry platoon (5 squads, conscript squad, 2 heavy weapons and 2 special weapons) I've converted him heavily and for this reason chose him as a stand in Chenkov.

I seriously recommend taking him and coming up with your own fluff, if you are seriously into massed infantry. In the end it's up to you.

Typhon, lord of the zombie plague.

"They shall be my finest Cannon Fodder, these men who give themselves to me. Like clay I will mold them and in the furnace of war they will become cracked and broken. They will be of tissue paper and whimpy muscle. In tissue paper armor I clad them and with the mightiest flashlights they will be armed. They will be touched by every sort of plauge or disease to help further make them unhappy, all sickness will blight them. They will have almost no tactics, strategies, but lots of machines so that they can atleast stand up to a foe in battle. They are my tar pit against the Terror. They are the bulk of Humanity. They are my Imperial Guard and they will know much fear!"

A fortress circumvented ceases to be an obstacle. A fortress destroyed ceases to be a threat. Do not forget the difference.
- Attributed to Leman Russ

My armies may sleep, but big guns never tire.

Surrender - or die.
Typhon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02 Jun 2009, 01:29   #9 (permalink)
Shas'Vre

Send a message via MSN to Hoarday

I'm not really a big fan of Chenkov. He only has 2 orders and neither of them are particularly great so his bonus command radius is a bit lacking in usefullness. Send in the next wave is also a pretty crappy upgrade in my opinion. a) It's expensive, b) it only works on conscripts which are basically uselessfor anything except soaking up casualties, and I can soak up casualties with regular gaurdsmen too, but at least they can fight back and c) by the time you reach the point where you want to recycle that squad, the fight will be either in your deployment zone, so you're screwed no matter what, or too far up the field for them to make a difference.

If you're going to take a special platoon commander, I'd go with Al'Rahem instead. His unique order is awesome, he grants outflank, he has good orders for his expanded command radius and his sword is an excellent character killer.
Old 02 Jun 2009, 01:43   #10 (permalink)
Shas'El

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jordan
I'm not really a big fan of Chenkov. He only has 2 orders and neither of them are particularly great so his bonus command radius is a bit lacking in usefullness.
Not really....

If you look at Chenkov's profile, he has 1 Special Order "Forward you Dogs", but for a Troops choice he can give 2 orders per turn and can use the "Get Back in the Fight!" and the "Move! Move! Move!" orders. Those orders are reserved for Commanders and some HQ characters. And he gets the send in the wave order.

He is the best bang-for-buck Character that IG has.
Shasel_Aunat is offline   Reply With Quote