Chaos Space Marines Codex 2012

Warhammer 40k Forum Tau Online

Warhammer 40K Forum

Chimera with 5 fire points!
Closed Thread
Old 30 May 2009, 01:08   #1 (permalink)
Shas'El

Default Chimera with 5 fire points!

OK after reading the new codex and seeing the 5 fire points on a chimera I have to say omg what are they thinking. OK here is some combo's in case this hasn't crossed any one's mind yet.

1. 1 main HQ with 4 plasma rifles and 1 plasma pistol, or 4 melta guns and 1 plasma in a Chimera.
2. 3 vets with plasma or melta guns with a sarge with a plasma pistol.
3. HQ platoon squads with 4 plasma or 4 melta guns with commander with plasma pistol.
4. 5 ogryns with 15 str 5 shots

Now you add that with 3 str 6 shots + 3 str 5 shots and 3 str 4 shots and the remaining crew using the 6 lasgun turrets at the top. This thing is a retarded fire platform that can outshoot anything else in the guard army sitting at an easy 160 pts - 265 pts easy.

I was looking at the Valkyries but I'm liking the chimera a lot more the more I read them. I'm thinking of doing a very heavy chimera list with lazcannon teams. Since I now can easily field 30 lazcannon teams now. Which mean I can Field an impressive 90 lazcannons max while filling all the minimum requirements. Than with creed that can issue as many orders that he can I can potentially get twin linked lazcannons.

So chimeras and hvy weapon teams is where it's at for me. Than with the xtra lasgun shooting and twin linked meltas and plasma shots I'll be spilling out. How can I lose. Yes I realise i have to be out of the chimeras for the twin linked effect. But hell If I out flank with a few chimeras using a few special characters abilities i can choose for the crew to jump out for the twin linked effect or stay in with BS 3 and 4 and take down a side armor of a tank with meltas or topple a monstrous creature. But hell with the amount of lazcannons you can field now you'll probably be getting finishing blows easy.
Old 30 May 2009, 02:31   #2 (permalink)
Shas'Vre

Send a message via MSN to Hoarday
Default Re: Chimera with 5 fire points!

The 6 lasguns along the side count as those 5 firepoints along with the top hatch. Still though, it is damned scary. I take 4 vet squads in chimeras and they don't disembark unless the thing is dead or immobilised far from the fight.
Old 30 May 2009, 02:48   #3 (permalink)
Shas'Saal

Keeping Ogryns in Chimeras is not worth it...they can dish out more S5 attacks in your and the opponent's close combats than in a single shooting phase. Plus, their T5 would and plethora of wounds won't come to proper use...

A good tactic is to put a psyker battle squad in a chimera and have them shoot their powers out of it. Or, as already mentioned before, spam special weapons like plasma or meltas out of the fire points. Combine this with the dual Heavy Bolters (only when stationary, though) and you've got an impressive firing platform.
Old 30 May 2009, 19:11   #4 (permalink)
Kroot Shaper

Can you put a heavy weapons squad in and have 3 heavy weapons firing out of the fire points?

Thanks
Old 30 May 2009, 19:54   #5 (permalink)
Shas'Ui

Quote:
Originally Posted by chicop76
OK after reading the new codex and seeing the 5 fire points on a chimera I have to say omg what are they thinking. OK here is some combo's in case this hasn't crossed any one's mind yet.

1. 1 main HQ with 4 plasma rifles and 1 plasma pistol, or 4 melta guns and 1 plasma in a Chimera.
3. HQ platoon squads with 4 plasma or 4 melta guns with commander with plasma pistol.

Now you add that with 3 str 6 shots + 3 str 5 shots and 3 str 4 shots and the remaining crew using the 6 lasgun turrets at the top. This thing is a retarded fire platform that can outshoot anything else in the guard army sitting at an easy 160 pts - 265 pts easy.

I was looking at the Valkyries but I'm liking the chimera a lot more the more I read them. I'm thinking of doing a very heavy chimera list with lazcannon teams. Since I now can easily field 30 lazcannon teams now. Which mean I can Field an impressive 90 lazcannons max while filling all the minimum requirements. Than with creed that can issue as many orders that he can I can potentially get twin linked lazcannons.

So chimeras and hvy weapon teams is where it's at for me. Than with the xtra lasgun shooting and twin linked meltas and plasma shots I'll be spilling out. How can I lose. Yes I realise i have to be out of the chimeras for the twin linked effect. But hell If I out flank with a few chimeras using a few special characters abilities i can choose for the crew to jump out for the twin linked effect or stay in with BS 3 and 4 and take down a side armor of a tank with meltas or topple a monstrous creature. But hell with the amount of lazcannons you can field now you'll probably be getting finishing blows easy.
I hope I dont run into you in our local game store/gaming comunity. Seemes like you only play with units that ensure a win. You dont really take in consideration of "this is what I like because it looks nice and acts in the way I want".
Sure your getting what you want, thats true. A list that has no real thought around it, just based on what best of two selections.

Anyhow, on to topic.
Yes Chimeras has 5 fire points, which is really nice. IG basically needed this since their Chimera before didnt really did anything with its lasguns.
A Rhino which was cheaper in the old days (50 pts) had 2 fire points, which made it a mobil anti tank/anti infantry platform.
Today the Rhino is even cheaper and still has 2 fire points.

Now I am not 100% sure about the new rules, but doesnt opening the top hatch make the Chimera open topped anymore? (but thats justa minor issue)

Getting a side shot at a Chimera isnt to hard, and it only has AV 10 on the sides, where the Rhino has 11.

So I personally dont think the Chimera is overpowered. Its alot better than before, but not something I would base my army on.

It's just a game... have fun!
Old 30 May 2009, 21:42   #6 (permalink)
Shas'El

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vash
Quote:

I hope I dont run into you in our local game store/gaming comunity. Seemes like you only play with units that ensure a win. You dont really take in consideration of "this is what I like because it looks nice and acts in the way I want".
Sure your getting what you want, thats true. A list that has no real thought around it, just based on what best of two selections.

Anyhow, on to topic.
Yes Chimeras has 5 fire points, which is really nice. IG basically needed this since their Chimera before didnt really did anything with its lasguns.
A Rhino which was cheaper in the old days (50 pts) had 2 fire points, which made it a mobil anti tank/anti infantry platform.

Now I am not 100% sure about the new rules, but doesnt opening the top hatch make the Chimera open topped anymore? (but thats justa minor issue)

Getting a side shot at a Chimera isnt to hard, and it only has AV 10 on the sides, where the Rhino has 11.

So I personally dont think the Chimera is overpowered. Its alot better than before, but not something I would base my army on.
You're overreacting here. Just because he's excited about what he can do with his Chimeras doesn't mean that he only uses units that will ensure a win. That's just extremely rude on your part and completely uncalled for.

The fire points no longer make the Chimera OT after firing, which is great. The Chimera got a much needed boost and now we see them in just about every list, which is a lot more fluffy. They've become something that you'd only give to your veteran squad to something that has become available for everything you want to put in it.

Old 30 May 2009, 22:41   #7 (permalink)
Shas'Ui

Quote:
Originally Posted by USAFTACP
Quote:
Originally Posted by Vash
Quote:

Anyhow, on to topic.

You're overreacting here. Just because he's excited about what he can do with his Chimeras doesn't mean that he only uses units that will ensure a win. That's just extremely rude on your part and completely uncalled for.

The fire points no longer make the Chimera OT after firing, which is great. The Chimera got a much needed boost and now we see them in just about every list, which is a lot more fluffy. They've become something that you'd only give to your veteran squad to something that has become available for everything you want to put in it.
Perhaps
But it says pretty clearly in his message that he will now field chimeras for this reason over the Valkyrie does it not?
Quote:
"So chimeras and hvy weapon teams is where it's at for me."
I am not really insulting him, Read my message. I am saying "I hope I wont run into him". I am not saying he is stupid or something.
With that I mean I dont want to play against him, since we dont share the same view of how the game should be played.

There is nothing wrong with playing to win, everyone does in the end, but there are different ways of reaching that win.
But anyhow, my opinion still stands. I am sorry, but I am a man who stands by his words. My opinion is still that he is mainly focused on getting a unit that is better over things he true would like to have. Thus my reply of "Play units that ensure a win".

As you read on I acctually state a thing or two about the pro and cons.

I could list why Valkyries are good and perhaps better, but it seems like his mind is set. Thus I only give comments on the chimera.

Old 30 May 2009, 22:56   #8 (permalink)
Shas'El

I don't see how wanting to use heavy weapon teams in Chimeras makes him an unfavorable opponent.

I honestly don't think how anyone can provide an arguement that Valks are better than Chimeras. They both are very useful and have different purposes.

Just because a person wants to use heavy weapons in a Chimera doesn't mean he only plays to win. It's completely stupid to not want to play against somebody because they found a combo they want to use. There is a difference between taking units that will help you win and taking NOTHING but units that will help you win. It's next to impossible with this codex anyways. He obviously likes that combo and it's definitely not cheesy because for those Chimeras he can easily field more hvy weapon teams. Your elitist attitude doesn't solve anything and your elitist comments have no place here.

Old 30 May 2009, 23:08   #9 (permalink)
Shas'Ui

Quote:
Originally Posted by USAFTACP
I don't see how wanting to use heavy weapon teams in Chimeras makes him an unfavorable opponent.

I honestly don't think how anyone can provide an arguement that Valks are better than Chimeras. They both are very useful and have different purposes.

Just because a person wants to use heavy weapons in a Chimera doesn't mean he only plays to win. It's completely stupid to not want to play against somebody because they found a combo they want to use. There is a difference between taking units that will help you win and taking NOTHING but units that will help you win. It's next to impossible with this codex anyways. He obviously likes that combo and it's definitely not cheesy because for those Chimeras he can easily field more hvy weapon teams. Your elitist attitude doesn't solve anything and your elitist comments have no place here.
There is no end to you he he
Your like my wife, find a new thing to argue about.

Okey, I wrote a bit wrong. Valks are not better overall, but what I meant that they might be better in some other areas. Such as getting to objectives faster in the last rounds. With the new missions objectives are more important.

His Chimeras and heavy weapons are not the real thing he is talking about. From what I understod it was special weapons with command squads he was all excited about. And putting Heavy weapons in chimeras will only protect them better, but making the chimera imobile.

Now your attacking me indirectly mate Calling me stupid for not wanting to play against someone specific.
And yes its true. I dont want to play against a person who build his army around power/whats best option rather than I think this is a nice setting (but making the best of the setting/theme).
I have had my share of turnaments and friendly games with "power gamers" and its nothing I am intested in. So my answer is, yes I wont play against those kind of people, thats my decision, and many others share. And I do not think you are stupid, or others are because they have other optionions.

And what do you mean by elitist attetude
What is your problem with me mate?
I am a person, sad but true, who says what I think but try not to insult to much. At the moment I am not really fighting with you, just trying to have a discussion. You on the other hand seem to want to provoke me a bit with indirect "stupid" reference and CAPITAL letters.

Cool down, and rethink what you write.

Keep it to topic now.

Old 30 May 2009, 23:14   #10 (permalink)
Shas'El

Vash and USAFTACP: Keep it on topic or consider this locked. There is no room for personal attacks here on TO.

Chicop: In my original mechanized list, I did put my Platoon Command Squad armed with 4 Grenade Launchers and hid them in my chimera. Then proceeded to drive around and shoot Guants. It worked well untill my precious chimera was torn apart by a Carnifex!
Closed Thread