Chaos Space Marines Codex 2012

Warhammer 40k Forum Tau Online

Warhammer 40K Forum

Random discipline?
Old 28 May 2009, 02:24   #1 (permalink)
Shas'Vre

Default Random discipline?

Um has anyone had this happen to them?

I was at a store that had a couple of guys playing, one of them Guard the other Marines. He had Telion & caused the sarge & a spec weapon in a regular squad take saves. The sarge took one to the face while the trooper was fine. 2 additional unsaved wounds later a morale test was needed which was botched. Summary Execution was in order.

The Marine player pointed out in the Commissar rules that w/o a clear leader a random squad member is killed. As the the sarge was dead, the Marine player demanded that the Guard player number the models left to right & roll a D6 saying that the model with the corresponding number be taken out. As the game seemed to be going pretty well otherwise the Guard agreed. Of course it landed on the HWT. The Guard player said ok, one of the troopers was disciplined.

The Marine then pointed to the rules again saying all wounds are removed so the HWT had to go. No one in the store had ever seen this before & didn't really know what to do (myself included). It sounded like BS but was in the rules. So the Guard player allowed this & responded by dropping a pie plate & hull and sponson fire on the scouts, leaving only a single regular sniper left (karmic payback?) & in the end they tied.

Anyways the point is has anyone ever seen someone pull this trick of rules lawyerism? BTW this wasn't a GW store & if the squad wasn't perfect for a D6 there was a number of other dice to sub in.

Acts of Faith - I choose to ignore your reality and substitute my own...for the Emperor.

Glory for the first man to die! CHARGE!
trex238 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28 May 2009, 02:40   #2 (permalink)
Zen
Ethereal

Send a message via MSN to Zen
Default Re: Random discipline?

That's retarded IMHO. The IG Player can choose to remove any model if the highest Ld with Summary Execution.
Zen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28 May 2009, 02:46   #3 (permalink)
Shas'Vre

Send a message via MSN to Hoarday

That's definately wrong. You would assign the hit to a model of your choice. Even on a logical level, why would the commissar kill the heavy weapon crew when a perfcetly good meathshield is standing there?
Old 28 May 2009, 10:35   #4 (permalink)
Shas'El

Summary Execution states that, "If two or more models in the same squad as the Commissar have the same Leadership value, randomly determine which of the models is executed." Ergo, the Marine player was completely correct in this situation.

Note that the highest Leadership would normally be killed, but with the Sergeant dead then ALL remaining Guardsmen, including the Heavy Weapon Team, are viable execution targets.

Also note that it specifies 'model' to be executed; therefore do not assign a HWT double the chance of being picked since, despite the fact that it represents two Guardsmen, it is still only a single model.
[hr]
Masked Thespian is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28 May 2009, 10:49   #5 (permalink)
Shas'Vre

Ack! So that hu'daun could possibly be right?

I was in the mindset of the first two answers & happy with them but if someone else validates it I could see this come up again. I'll be at my regular gaming group Friday. I kinda don't want to tell them this to keep this from cropping up there but that feels like cheating.

On a side it was a 10 man squad if you included the commie so with the 3 killed it was 7 models, counting the HWT as one. Since the 7th was the commie a D6 just happened to fit perfectly & land horribly.

'On the charge of cowardice I find you guilty. And you gave me a funny look so you go too.'

Acts of Faith - I choose to ignore your reality and substitute my own...for the Emperor.

Old 28 May 2009, 11:01   #6 (permalink)
Shas'El

Quote:
Originally Posted by Malus Trux
Ack! So that hu'daun could possibly be right?
I'm afraid it's not 'could possibly be right' but is actually 'is right'. The quote I gave above for Summary Execution spells it out explicitly what you do in the circumstances where you have multiple models with the same Leadership.
[hr]
Masked Thespian is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29 May 2009, 11:20   #7 (permalink)
Shas'Vre

Bah! I'm glad I only include Commissars on combined squads.

Old 05 Jun 2009, 09:30   #8 (permalink)
Zen
Ethereal

Send a message via MSN to Zen

OK, just to set the issue straight; how do we randomly determine who gets executed when the all of the Sergeants are dead? It could be from anything from grabbing the first model you see or rolling a D6 and so on and so forth.
Zen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05 Jun 2009, 16:45   #9 (permalink)
Shas'Ui

Well, if there is 8 models in the unit, use a dice with 8 sides, 12 models, use a 12 sided dice. if its uneven number or something you dont have on a normal dice, add different dices and try to get the numbers straight.

Anyway, just keep it simple.

The funny thing here is... the commisar executing the heavy weapon team is really skillfull.
He first kills two guardsmen, no problem there really, but then he shots the heavy weapon to dust also just to screw with the rest of the unit.

Yours Truly

Vash

It's just a game... have fun!
Vash is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06 Jun 2009, 17:37   #10 (permalink)
Shas'Saal

If the squad numbers more than 6 models and you do not have a dice with more sides at hand, I humbly suggest making use of the traditional method: Link
Silver is offline   Reply With Quote