Tau Empire Codex 2013 | Army Builder Program
Dark Angels Codex 2013
Chaos Daemons Codex 2013
Chaos Space Marines Codex 2012

Warhammer 40k Forum Tau Online

Warhammer 40K Forum

Combo: INsane or insanely expensive?
View Poll Results: What do you think of the following unit?
Great, Insane Close Combat 1 5.26%
alright, but not great 5 26.32%
Meh, mediocre at best 2 10.53%
Bad, too expensive 7 36.84%
Horrible, Insanely expensive and not worth the points. 4 21.05%
Voters: 19. You may not vote on this poll

Old 28 May 2009, 01:32   #1 (permalink)
Shas'El

Send a message via AIM to Tausand sun Send a message via Yahoo to Tausand sun
Default Combo: INsane or insanely expensive?

Command squad

Ministorum Priest (eviscerator)
Lord Commisar (power Weapon or power fist)
Colonel Straken
4 Veterans

Cost: 285 Expensive but that's 14 armor ignoring attacks that re-roll to hit dice, with high WS to start off with and high str on two. And this is before you start adding things like a chimera and a medi-pack
"The Imperium has abandoned us brothers! And these blue-skinned "saviors" seek only to enslave us. Follow me and march to freedom so we might transform the galaxy into a peaceful place for all sentient species!" -- Commander Alexander of the 88th Aldarian Phoenix Regiment
Tausand sun is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28 May 2009, 01:36   #2 (permalink)
Zen
Ethereal

Send a message via MSN to Zen
Default Combo: INsane or insanely expensive?

Give Veterans Laspistols (Which is Free) so they get an +1 Attack for having an additional CCW. Medi-pack to shrug off normal attacks (Strength 5 and below). Carapace Armor to make them more survivable to normal attacks. Give the Lord Commissar a Power Fist. Get a Regimental Banner for that +1 to Combat Resolution (It can do that IIRC). Get a Primaris Psyker for that Force Weapon (Strength 5 on the Charge). Get 2 Bodyguards or even Nork Dedogg.

All that and you have one heck of a close combat monster unit.
Zen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28 May 2009, 01:47   #3 (permalink)
Shas'El

Default Re: Combo: INsane or insanely expensive?

wait are you proposing an alternative to my unit or an addition cause in addition all that would be like.... 500 points, and anything that's 500 points is going to have a gigantic target painted on it.
"The Imperium has abandoned us brothers! And these blue-skinned "saviors" seek only to enslave us. Follow me and march to freedom so we might transform the galaxy into a peaceful place for all sentient species!" -- Commander Alexander of the 88th Aldarian Phoenix Regiment
Old 28 May 2009, 01:51   #4 (permalink)
Zen
Ethereal

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tausand sun
wait are you proposing an alternative to my unit or an addition cause in addition all that would be like.... 500 points, and anything that's 500 points is going to have a gigantic target painted on it.
Additional! If you want to do it, do it right! But if you want a economical version...

Give Veterans Laspistols (Which is Free) so they get an +1 Attack for having an additional CCW. Carapace Armor to make them more survivable to normal attacks. Give the Lord Commissar a Power Weapon. Get a Primaris Psyker for that Force Weapon (Strength 5 on the Charge).
Old 28 May 2009, 01:57   #5 (permalink)
Shas'Vre

Er Zenai you can't have a Company Command Squad, Lord Commissar & a Primaris Psyker all in a legal list.

If you want that extra power fist though Kell I think can be put in there too. Not as good stats as a Lord Commissar but still a nice alternative. Plus before charging in orders are very likely to be followed.

Acts of Faith - I choose to ignore your reality and substitute my own...for the Emperor.

Glory for the first man to die! CHARGE!
trex238 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28 May 2009, 01:58   #6 (permalink)
Shas'El

Quote:
Originally Posted by Zenai
Get a Primaris Psyker for that Force Weapon (Strength 5 on the Charge)
Just out of interest, how are you calculating Strength 5? He's Strength 3 as standard, with +1 from Furious Charge. Where does the other +1 come from?
[hr]
Masked Thespian is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28 May 2009, 01:59   #7 (permalink)
Zen
Ethereal

Quote:
Originally Posted by Masked Thespian
Quote:
Originally Posted by Zenai
Get a Primaris Psyker for that Force Weapon (Strength 5 on the Charge)
Just out of interest, how are you calculating Strength 5? He's Strength 3 as standard, with +1 from Furious Charge. Where does the other +1 come from?
Whoops...

Strength 4. I meant Strength 4 :P Been playing Fantasy lately *lol*

Quote:
Originally Posted by Malus Trux
Er Zenai you can't have a Company Command Squad, Lord Commissar & a Primaris Psyker all in a legal list.

If you want that extra power fist though Kell I think can be put in there too. Not as good stats as a Lord Commissar but still a nice alternative. Plus before charging in orders are very likely to be followed.
Another whoops. 4th Edition still lingering in my mind. IMHO, go with Primaris Psyker.
Old 28 May 2009, 02:16   #8 (permalink)
Shas'El

actually you can, minitorum priest doesn't take up a FOC, and i dont think the psycher does either

Edit: they do take a FOC (the psycher) which is odd as a priest does not.....
Old 28 May 2009, 02:38   #9 (permalink)
Zen
Ethereal

Quote:
Originally Posted by Malus Trux

Old 28 May 2009, 02:54   #10 (permalink)
Shas'Vre

Send a message via MSN to Hoarday

This is way too expensive. Without a chimera that squad is going to get pasted. A little love from bolters or fire warriors and you can kiss that squad goodbye. Straken is the only one that can take a hit reasonably well, but even he isn't going to whether the storm all that well. Even if they have a chimera, I'm just going to make sure I put that one down first so I can obliterate the squishy insides while they walk up field.