Chaos Daemons Codex 2013
Chaos Space Marines Codex 2012

Warhammer 40k Forum Tau Online

Warhammer 40K Forum

Some advice on building a Death Korps of Krieg army
Old 27 May 2009, 17:52   #1 (permalink)
Shas'El

Default Some advice on building a Death Korps of Krieg army

So at this point I'm just toying with the idea but I may start a DKoK army when Imperial Armor 7 is released. It's up in the air between that or Traitor Guard, but for the purposes of this thread I'm starting DKoK army.

So I have the IA books but I'm going to build an army that uses the standard IG codex so I don't have to 1) mess with the old layout and outdated prices and 2) I want an army I don't have to ask permission to use(also a big pro over doing IA7 traitor guard.)

So here's some units from the new codex that would be "must haves" and just let me know you thoughts on if you think it fits with DKoK background and also, if you like, you can write up a list based on the units I'm wanting to take.

Veteran Grenadiers - At least two squads of them, possibly three, transported in Valkyries.

Commissars all around! Possibly a Lord Commissar for an HQ choice as well as the Command HQ.

Priests - I just love the idea of religious zealots with massive chainweapons in my ranks.

Medusa - It's just so DKoK. I love it even though I was on the receiving end of one my last game. This I'll probably magnetize with the Basilisk kit so I can swap it out if I want to.

Demolisher

2 LRBTs - I've heard the pros and cons of LR squadrons and I don't think two is bad. the redundancy pretty much means what you shoot at will die. Plus I like tanks!

Now for the infantry platoons I guess more is better but I'm not sure what units I should attach to them. I was thinking autocannons, but heavy bolters sound good too. I'm really at a lose with this. Also, special weapons teams; Yes? No?

I'll be building a 2,000 point army and will probably take some IG special characters "counts as" if they fit. So far Bastonne seems perfect for a DKoK sgt. I'm not sure what else, though.

So any advice on building an army with these units in general would be great but if you know about DKoK background let me know what seems fluffy as well!
Cadaver is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27 May 2009, 19:06   #2 (permalink)
Shas'El

Default Re: Some advice on building a Death Korps of Krieg army

Commissars are fun and much better than they used to be, however be careful about having too many. Siege armies need a lot of fodder guardsmen that can march across the field. If you have a Commissar in every squad then you're losing a lot of bodies.

USAFTACP is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27 May 2009, 21:02   #3 (permalink)
Shas'O

Send a message via MSN to Circus Freak

Bastonne seems like a good fluffy call, but...

NO Valkyries. They're a siege regiment, and while I'm not 100% on it (I don't want to have to root through all the badly formatted background to check ) I think it says somewhere that the DKoK don't use airborne units, in the same way as Elysians don't use tanks.

Lord Commissar might make a good "hold-the-line" HQ but USAFTACP is right, Commissars will just be using points that you could be using on more men.

Priests... DKoK don't seem to be a very Priest-y regiment, but whatever you like.

Medusa, no faults there.

Veteran Grenadiers? To be honest, you'll just want more basic footsloggers. Grenadiers still die too easily to be worth the points you could be spending on more men, lasguns and most importantly of all heavy weapons teams.

Bear in mind, this isn't "Effective Guard Army" advice. This is "Fluffy DKoK" advice.
Crikey! This crazy clown causes commotion like the coming of Christ. Contained in a circle corrupted by crackheads and carnal cravings, he creates no concession to callous cheaters concentrating on nought but cock. Certainly, still a curious and cordial cavalier in the countenance of crazed cads, curs and creeps who condemn courtesy as something corny. No cloud could collapse his crushing crescendo of comical crowing and crimson coiffure. This conjecture on culture comes circumlocutive, consequently...

You may call me Circus.
Circus Freak is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27 May 2009, 21:41   #4 (permalink)
Shas'El

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jester King of the Rocky Horror Show
Bastonne seems like a good fluffy call, but...

NO Valkyries. They're a siege regiment, and while I'm not 100% on it (I don't want to have to root through all the badly formatted background to check ) I think it says somewhere that the DKoK don't use airborne units, in the same way as Elysians don't use tanks.

Lord Commissar might make a good "hold-the-line" HQ but USAFTACP is right, Commissars will just be using points that you could be using on more men.

Priests... DKoK don't seem to be a very Priest-y regiment, but whatever you like.

Medusa, no faults there.

Veteran Grenadiers? To be honest, you'll just want more basic footsloggers. Grenadiers still die too easily to be worth the points you could be spending on more men, lasguns and most importantly of all heavy weapons teams.

Bear in mind, this isn't "Effective Guard Army" advice. This is "Fluffy DKoK" advice.

Hmmm, I missed the "no drop troop grenadiers" bit in the fluff. Damn, cause if I do loyalist guard I'm taking Valks. They're simply too cool not to, but I don't want to directly contradict DKoK fluff either. I might have to go generic greatcoat in that case.

Funny how FW makes there expensive but awesomely cool guard models have background supporting tons of infantry. :P I'd love a mass of infantry, but I don't think my sanity would remain. I'm doing a very large commissioned army of traitor guard right now and two huge IG armies back to back might drive me insane. ;D

I guess I'll have to give it some thought then. Valkyries are one of the main reasons I want to play guard besides the tanks of course. Looks like I may have to go back to the drawing board and look into sculpting some generic greatcoats out of Cadians.

Old 27 May 2009, 21:53   #5 (permalink)
Shas'O

Send a message via MSN to Circus Freak

I'll double check *gets out Siege of Vraks Pt1*

Yup, DKoK Grenadiers can't Deep Strike or anything, and there's no mention of them using aircraft in combat situations on Vraks anywhere. I'd guess on another planet there's nothing to stop them nicking another regiment's aircraft, but the fact that Grenadiers don't have Deep Strike (in a pre-Valkyrie book) implies to me that it was intended that DKoK don't do rapid insertion - and the fluff certainly backs that up, they're even more of a meat-grinder than other Guard armies and not a scalpel like Elysians.
Crikey! This crazy clown causes commotion like the coming of Christ. Contained in a circle corrupted by crackheads and carnal cravings, he creates no concession to callous cheaters concentrating on nought but cock. Certainly, still a curious and cordial cavalier in the countenance of crazed cads, curs and creeps who condemn courtesy as something corny. No cloud could collapse his crushing crescendo of comical crowing and crimson coiffure. This conjecture on culture comes circumlocutive, consequently...

You may call me Circus.
Circus Freak is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28 May 2009, 04:07   #6 (permalink)
Shas'El

Quote:
don't do rapid insertion -
That's what she said. ;D

[hr]

Well, I guess I'll have to mull it over and decide if the DKoK models are worth buying without taking Valkyries. My wallet says no but my heart says yes.

Old 28 May 2009, 04:10   #7 (permalink)
Shas'O

Send a message via AIM to deraj Send a message via MSN to deraj

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cadaver
Quote:
don't do rapid insertion -
That's what she said. ;D

[hr]

Well, I guess I'll have to mull it over and decide if the DKoK models are worth buying without taking Valkyries. My wallet says no but my heart says yes.
....have you seen the death riders?

[glow=red,2,300]DO IT![/glow]

I just got 5, but I'm making a penal legion and using the Dkok veterans and rough riders as 'guards'.
deraj is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28 May 2009, 21:10   #8 (permalink)
Shas'El

Well, given the list I want to make I don't think DKoK are the best way to go. I'm going to look into possibly casting some heads to use on the IG plastics, or possibly just sculpting them individually. That will just depend on how time consuming/expensive each method would be.

To give you an idea of what I'd like to do, check out page 28 of the Imperial Guard codex, this is what I'd like to achieve style wise for the standard infantry. Then on page 56 is similar to what I'd like to do for Veterans or Stormtroopers.

Thanks for the help, guys!