Chaos Space Marines Codex 2012

Warhammer 40k Forum Tau Online

Warhammer 40K Forum

penal legion use?
Old 24 May 2009, 23:59   #1 (permalink)
Kroot Shaper

Default penal legion use?

Has anyone even tried out these guys?
They seem a bit easy to kill but I guess thats what their there for. Im running pretty much a mech guard unit and was think of adding a few squads of these nut jobs to ride around in my Stormlord?
Any thoughts or should I just can the idea?
Old 25 May 2009, 01:04   #2 (permalink)
Shas'Ui

Default Re: penal legion use?

They're a bit random, but are always effective since they can Outflank.

I'd say go for it. They're actually pretty fun, and all of their random upgrades are useful, especially in a mixed guard army (which you don't run). I dunno, just try them out for yourself. I think they're fun.

I've only had them used against me though. They outflanked and wiped out my Company Command before I Russ'd them.

Mournus Skitarii 3rd Legion, the Will of Mourn

Kaffl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25 May 2009, 04:00   #3 (permalink)
Kroot Shaper

I guess I try out a 2 or 3 squads of them plus marbo and a few sentinels as my sneak attack move!
Old 25 May 2009, 04:07   #4 (permalink)
Shas'Ui

Yikes. Just make sure you set up some Heavy Weapons downrange so you look like you're at the points limit even before those units hit the table. And be sure to bring an Astropath, because that somehow helps Marbo sneak up on people and Penal Legionnaires outflank.

Mournus Skitarii 3rd Legion, the Will of Mourn

Kaffl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25 May 2009, 04:29   #5 (permalink)
Shas'El

Penal legionnaires are mostly just for fluff imo. I would love to try a lenal legion army out for fun. They just seem a bit expensive to be really useful. I guess it depends on if you have a proper situation to use them. Outflanking and assaulting a non-CC oriented squad would be helpful. Also stubborn is WAY better than fearless.

USAFTACP is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25 May 2009, 06:22   #6 (permalink)
Shas'Saal

I have fielded a squad of penal legionaries as my second troop choice in every fifth edition game (the first being a full infantry platoon) and it has had mixed results. In one game thanks to rending they took out a tank, in another they were shot to death. They tied up a squad of crisis suits but ended dying in the end due to their 5+ save and the suits 3+ save. I'm not exactly sure how I feel about them yet. I'm pretty sure they're a waste of points but I'm rebellious and like the fluff and fun they add to a game.
Old 25 May 2009, 06:57   #7 (permalink)
Shas'Ui

I think a single squad of them would not be that much of a investment for some positive results.

I think I will get myself a Catachan box and use them as my penal troops, since the rest of my army are cadian, with some Ghosts as veterans.
Should be fun, I belive.

My blog: http://mattiknife.wordpress.com
Ra´Meses is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25 May 2009, 14:17   #8 (permalink)
Shas'O

the fun is you can make them unique with mixed bitz to look like random scum
Old 25 May 2009, 16:31   #9 (permalink)
Shas'El

Penal legionnaires are purly for modelling or fluff reasoning. while they sound nice on paper, just like the chaos possesed they are unreliable and in battle that is exactly what you don't want.

On the table they are very un predicable. You can't decide on how you will use them until after deployment, this means that they have to be put in a place that may not mean they are any good at their chance designated role for the first few turns.

Two of the three thingsthe penal legionnaires could get involve combat. now to get there you have two options. Run or hitch a ride. if you run then you are going down range dressed in armour which is as god as a hospital robe. with this low armour and poor shooting, they are not going to get you very far at all.
if you hitch a ride you are not much better at all. you lose roughly two turns of performing their role due to embarking and disembarking (plus you are taking the transport away from a different squad)
when you disembark you are left in the open and you are back to the same problems of running. If you are lucky then you may get an opponant who doesn't deem them as a threat and you manage a combat. But with your poor weapon skill and initiative you will not be doing much even with rending!.

The shooting ability is also not very good. You may be able to close on the enemy and unload a salvo of rounds into the enemy and thin the ranks a bit, but in the end they are still only las guns and they will not do much to harm a determined attacker.

Out side of the table and back to the rules, the points for a squad of penal leggionnaires is a fair bit more than that of a normal infantry squad, with all the abilities of being in a plattoon.

Over all i would say that penal legionnaires are not very good. I would much prefer a normal infantry squad over the crimms.

Hope i helped!
Old 25 May 2009, 16:43   #10 (permalink)
Shas'La

Send a message via AIM to erebus Send a message via MSN to erebus Send a message via Yahoo to erebus

It seems od to me they come in squads of exactly 10 and no more or less.

Picture the scene:

prisoner 79536: "oi screw, why in't we fightin' but them frum D block is?"

Custodian Buford: " bohy i am allowing for another perpertrator to bolstah yor numbers"

Prisoner 79536: "y'wot?"

Prisoner 79567: "der's only eight ov us we've gotta 'ave nine priznas. Regulations y'see."

And can anyone remember any movie were none of the guards had a scattergun?
erebus is offline   Reply With Quote