Chaos Space Marines Codex 2012

Warhammer 40k Forum Tau Online

Warhammer 40K Forum

Guard Limited $
Old 22 May 2009, 21:02   #1 (permalink)
Shas'El

Send a message via AIM to Tausand sun Send a message via Yahoo to Tausand sun
Default Guard Limited $

okay i will have about $400 to buy my new guard army and I want to use lots of artillery (about two manticores and one leman russ vanquisher) so what would you suggest? I know I can get cheaper stuff off of wayland but I'm not shure if I want to forgo Heavy weapons squads to keep things cheap, and also I haven't decided on chimera's or valkyries yet. Help

Veteran army v infantry platoon with heavy weapons

Chimera v Valkyrie
"The Imperium has abandoned us brothers! And these blue-skinned "saviors" seek only to enslave us. Follow me and march to freedom so we might transform the galaxy into a peaceful place for all sentient species!" -- Commander Alexander of the 88th Aldarian Phoenix Regiment
Tausand sun is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22 May 2009, 21:10   #2 (permalink)
Shas'El

Default Re: Guard Limited $

Vassal is your friend here. Play with different army lists until you find one you like and don't buy anything until you're sure! That's exactly what I did with my Tyranid and Ork armies. My IG I just buy whatever because I enjoy painting them and I want a huge army, but with Nids and Orks I only want that specific force.

USAFTACP is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22 May 2009, 21:19   #3 (permalink)
Shas'El

I can't figure out how to get vassal working i've tried to no avail. A friend is supposed to be helping me though. As for Tyrannids I love playing the insectoid dinosaurs. If I every start my own though i'd need to get get that winged hive tyrant though, from forgeworld, looks too amazing to have a nid arm and not have one.

also there are some things vassal doesn't convey well, like the fact that I like the idea of starting a game with nothing but seven tanks on the board (4-5 chimera's 3 artillery pieces) that makes set up a breeze. Not quite shure on effectiveness of this idea though.
"The Imperium has abandoned us brothers! And these blue-skinned "saviors" seek only to enslave us. Follow me and march to freedom so we might transform the galaxy into a peaceful place for all sentient species!" -- Commander Alexander of the 88th Aldarian Phoenix Regiment
Old 22 May 2009, 21:33   #4 (permalink)
Shas'Saal

You have about a week until GW raises the prices, something to consider.

I would post an army list of what you would like to field. Imperial guard Cadian plastics aren't as cheap as they were two months ago, but there still a good way to go. The vassal suggestion is a great idea.

I would start with;

1. What do you want to field?

2. What models do you want to use to represent them? Old stormtroopers vs karskins/ Cadians or Catachan's, Voyston's or Vallhalan's?

3. Place your order at one time, you will probably get a bigger discount (or at least save on shipping) vs. several smaller orders.

4. Get what you think you'll actually put together and field, and have doing so. Nothing is worse than looking at 100 plastic kits dreading the assembly and painting.

The people have suffered years of warfare. Only the King of Qin can stop the chaos by uniting all under Heaven
Krumpa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22 May 2009, 21:57   #5 (permalink)
Shas'El

1. MISSILES!!!!!!!!!! Big missiles it's a missile artillery company... or what's left of it. Oh and templates, lots of templates.

2. Cadians for troops manticores for heavy artillery and an uber expensive tank thats the marz alpha pattern with styrgies vanquisher cannon

as it stands i'm about 10 pounds over including shipping...

Either A

Company Command Squad

Commander Alexander
2 Veterans
Veteran Weapons Team (missile Launcher)

Elites

SS sergeant Debra (Power weapon)
8 SS Troopers
1 SS Trooper (melta gun)

Troops

Squad 1
Commisar Lord (power fist)
Sergeant (Power Fist)
7 Veterans (shotguns)
2 Veterans (Melta guns)
Grenadiers Doctrine
Chimera

Squad 2
Sergeant (Power Fist)
7 Veterans (shotguns)
2 Veterans (Melta guns)
Grenadiers Doctrine
chimera

Squad 3
Sergeant (Power Fist)
7 Veterans (shotguns)
2 Veterans (Melta guns)
Grenadiers Doctrine
chimera

Squad 4
Sergeant (Power Fist)
7 Veterans (shotguns)
2 Veterans (Melta guns)
Grenadiers Doctrine
chimera

Heavy Support

Leman Russ Vanquisher

Colossus

Medusa

OR B

Company Command Squad

Commander Alexander
2 Veterans
Veteran Weapons Team (missile Launcher)

Elites

SS sergeant Debra (Power weapon)
8 SS Troopers
1 SS Trooper (melta gun)

Troops

Platoon 1

Platoon Commander
2 Guardsmen
Heavy Weapons Team

Squad 1
Sergeant
7 Guardsmen
Heavy Weapons team (Heavy Bolter)

Squad 2
Sergeant
7 Guardsmen
Heavy Weapons Team (Heavy Bolter)

Heavy Weapons Squad 1
3 Heavy Weapons Teams (Missile Launcher)

Heavy Weapons Squad 2
3 Heavy Weapons Teams (Missile Launcher)

Platoon 2

Squad 1
Commisar Lord (power fist)
Sergeant (Power Fist)
7 Veterans (shotguns)
2 Veterans (Melta guns)
Grenadiers Doctrine

Squad 2
Sergeant (Power Fist)
7 Veterans (shotguns)
2 Veterans (Melta guns)
Grenadiers Doctrine

Fast attack

Valkyrie

Valkyrie

Heavy Support

Leman Russ

colossus

medusa

Old 23 May 2009, 00:53   #6 (permalink)
Shas'Vre

Look at my list here

That cost me around 260 (USD $413) using online stores. I highly recommend Wayland Games or Maelstrom Games. Those Valk's will be a bit expensive. Play around with ordering stuff and see the total in the basket.
Dangerman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23 May 2009, 02:25   #7 (permalink)
Shas'El

ROMMEL!!!!!!! Sorry WWII buff. It's a nice list but i find I'm heavily drawn to vehicles. If I can get a ten vehicle 1500 point army i'd be a very happy man. Unfortunately i'm not that rich. THough I think i'm just gunna come up witht he cash somehow and go with option A and forget about valkyries for the moment, as seven tanks makes me feel all warm and cuddly.

P.S. Where are you guys finding all these points? 100 men and five tanks?
Old 23 May 2009, 15:36   #8 (permalink)
Shas'Ui

100 models in Infantry Squads is only 500 points. You can fit 5 bare-bones Russ tanks, a command squad, and 2 full platoons into 1,500 very easily. All that put together, with no additional upgrades, is only 1,370 points, giving you 5 Russes and 115 infantry models. After upgrades it should be a comfortable 1,500 point list.

Mournus Skitarii 3rd Legion, the Will of Mourn

Kaffl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26 May 2009, 06:02   #9 (permalink)
Shas'Ui

Send a message via MSN to 33rd Sirican Redbacks

I know this wont make me popular with some, but try browsing ebay for tanks and battleforces, (especially the old ones) as I often save around 20% even after shipping, and if you live in the states or Britain buying from Australia or NZ where our dollars are lower will save you even more (just order lots to justify the shipping).