Tau Empire Codex 2013 | Army Builder Program
Dark Angels Codex 2013
Chaos Daemons Codex 2013
Chaos Space Marines Codex 2012

Warhammer 40k Forum Tau Online

Warhammer 40K Forum

Valkyries or Chimera's? pro's and con's...
Old 22 May 2009, 19:55   #1 (permalink)
Shas'Saal

Default Valkyries or Chimera's? pro's and con's...

Alright, I'm up to the wire on ordering my Guard army. (June 1st is the GW price increase)

Valkyrie

Pro's:

Scout move
low cost (respectively)
transport
armor 12/12/10
can move 12" and fire x2 rocket pods and multilaser

Cons's:

Huge model
flying stand is silly, it's classified as a skimmer, the same as a hammerhead or fireprism, yet must be mounted two feet in the air?
anti tank shots give it a low life expectancy
can't transport Ogryn

Chimera

Pro's

Cheap point wise/$ wise (for now)
five fire points means it is versatile for special weapons
transport up to 12 models, including Ogryn

Con's

weak side armor
if moving twelve inches, special weapons can't fire

So what is your transport of choice, and why? Is the Valkyrie/Vendetta just a flashy new toy, soon to be dropped for the Chimera?

**Disclaimer** If you don't use transports, please explain why instead of just stating the fact.

The people have suffered years of warfare. Only the King of Qin can stop the chaos by uniting all under Heaven
Krumpa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22 May 2009, 20:14   #2 (permalink)
Shas'Ui

Default Re: Valkyries or Chimera's? pro's and con's...

Valkyrie is a great tool because of the weapon loadout. Last time I used it I was literally dropping a squad a turn for 3 turns straight. Combined with dropping Veterans on an objective, that makes Valkyries obscenely useful.

Don't get me wrong, Chimeras are a great mainstay transport that should be a part of any guard army with mechanized tendencies, but the Valk is a great new toy that's not to be underestimated by any means.

Mournus Skitarii 3rd Legion, the Will of Mourn

Kaffl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22 May 2009, 20:33   #3 (permalink)
Shas'La

I have not had an opportunity to try out the Valkyrie yet, and have only actually gotten to play one game with the new codex (where do you people find the time to play so much??). I don't normally run transports (no real reason other than I didn't actually own one for a while), but I'm looking to start using them more and the Valkyrie is sounding enticing. I play against Tyranids a lot and having a 12" effective move is a great thing against them. I'm loving the new fast tanks for that reason! That said, being able to fire plasmas out of a Chimera is also a tempting prospect.
Schev is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22 May 2009, 20:59   #4 (permalink)
Shas'El

The easy answer is both! They both serve their purpose and imo are a great part of a balanced breakfast. I include both in my larger army lists. My Chimeras always house my command squads, giving them added protection as well as an increase to the command range. They also add a decent amount of medium range firepower for very few points.

The Valkyrie I use to deploy a squad of Veterans or Kasrkin behind enemy lines through an outflank or a turbo boost if I manage to score first turn. They also make great fire support and excel at taking out infantry squads. This comes at twice the cost of a Chimera.

There is no reason why a list shouldn't incorporate both, as they both have immense use for the IG player.

USAFTACP is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23 May 2009, 00:30   #5 (permalink)
Shas'La

I'm sticking with Chimera's.
Why??
Because it's going to draw attention due to it's size and aggressive looks. Attention it will not likely survive. You could use it as a bait unit but I think it is to many points for that roll.

I am your lighted way and I am your darkest day. -Godsmack
Saint is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23 May 2009, 00:48   #6 (permalink)
Shas'El

Chimera's don't draw much attention unfortunately. The Valk excels in this.

Old 23 May 2009, 01:10   #7 (permalink)
Shas'Ui

I don't know about that. Most veteran players won't judge a model by looks at all. I judge strictly by statline myself, I never let models determine what I shoot at.

Same logic as for things like Carnifices. It looks big and scary, but those 16 Hormagaunts coming after me might sting just a wee bit more, and they'll be here a hell of a lot quicker.

Mournus Skitarii 3rd Legion, the Will of Mourn

Kaffl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23 May 2009, 01:16   #8 (permalink)
Shas'El

Send a message via AIM to Tausand sun Send a message via Yahoo to Tausand sun

If I know the other army I always just go for higher points cost. It's a mini game I play in my head to see if I can kill more points than my opponent, call me an efficiency junkie, a nerd or what ever but I like it.

As for the chimera, V Valk, I'm leaning to the chimera because it's cheaper in both points and $ and can be more easily hidden from view. After all, if you have a wall of armor 12 coming at you with 3 melta guns each or 3 plasma cannons or ... you get the point, aren't you going to run?
"The Imperium has abandoned us brothers! And these blue-skinned "saviors" seek only to enslave us. Follow me and march to freedom so we might transform the galaxy into a peaceful place for all sentient species!" -- Commander Alexander of the 88th Aldarian Phoenix Regiment
Tausand sun is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23 May 2009, 01:40   #9 (permalink)
Shas'El

The Valk is so tall on it's base that it's next to impossibly to hide it. Not to mention is a gigantic model. That's another con about it. You can't sit it behind something.

I've seen people using Valks quite a bit, and I can tell you that they are just about the #1 priority of any opponent. Most people don't just go by statline, they see something large and fast and they have to kill it. I don't mind in the least though

Old 23 May 2009, 03:16   #10 (permalink)
Zen
Ethereal

Send a message via MSN to Zen

Mobility is not a factor for me because most of the time, the objective are just one Movement Phase (and maybe Shooting Phase) away. Anyway, I'm an Infantry Commander. I like having that many bodies.
Zen is offline   Reply With Quote