Chaos Daemons Codex 2013
Chaos Space Marines Codex 2012

Warhammer 40k Forum Tau Online

Warhammer 40K Forum

My take on the new codex
Old 20 May 2009, 20:27   #1 (permalink)
Shas'El

Default My take on the new codex

Well, having just got the codex yesterday and only just been able to read it today. I have to say that i am quite impressed. some of the new models and new characters are looking (or sounding) cool especially the sergeant characters. (looking at you catachan guy (Name escapes me)) but i am also intrigued by the mass amounts of variety that is allowed. The idea of the new sentinal classes and the large variety of the tanks (looking at you leman russ) really appeals to me as a guy who is trying to create a cover all army.

However some of the new adds are not a good idea. For example the penal legionnaires. While nice on paper, when applied they just don't cut it. Think about... people are either going to see them as a threat and shoot them down quickly or just ignor them and give them a wide berth. One way to over come this might be to give them a transport. But then when embarking and disembarking you are losing about 2 turns of of 5 or 6. Drastically taking out some of their effectivness. When disembarking they are in the open and can't do much, with low armour, they will get put down quickly from a determined player.

The large variety of tanks may see a decrease in infantry armies as people see lots of different tanks which really all play very similar roles. some with massive price differences (upto 20+ points!!)
it seems like lots of gold for the same cost of a bit of platinum (Excuse the poor analogy)

The characters are a nice touch which can add a great amount of character to an otherwise basic army. Whether its yarrik or knight commander palk. it can certainly be a powerful move making sure they are used right.

Orders are also a nice addition. i look forward to trying out the 'bring it down' order on my mates attack of avatar and 2 wraith lords. have two commanders use it on a heavy weapons platoon and i think i can take care of that nicly.

All in all i think the new codex is very nice. The power creep is very obvious in this codex, but i think it is a good counter to the space marines one and i certainly look forward to trying them out against a friend.
Old 20 May 2009, 22:35   #2 (permalink)
Shas'Saal

Default Re: My take on the new codex

Chris I share your sentiments verbatim, The current Guard list is very good. You can field widely different armies based on your style of play.

There is a lot of banter about how "nerfed" some units are, Ogryns, rattlings etc. I think time will tell...

5 ogryns and Yarrick in a chimera is a nasty surprise to unleash on someone. Twenty rattlings are dirt cheap, can pin ans provide synergy for Psycher battle squads. Their low leadership can also easily be circumvented.

Good write up Chris.

The people have suffered years of warfare. Only the King of Qin can stop the chaos by uniting all under Heaven
Krumpa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21 May 2009, 00:06   #3 (permalink)
Shas'Ui

Actually I went up against a guy with penal Legionnaires the other day, and they were surprisingly effective. They outflanked and made it as far as my Command squad, killing it before getting Russ'd. They're quite mean when used well. I also don't feel the power creep is as pronounced here as it was in the Marine codex. Is it there? Certainly. But I don't see it as being instantly a hyper-overpowered army. I think it's the new toys that sell it more than the fact that it's a strong army now. And the fact that it wasn't written by Mat Ward makes it pretty good in my book :funny:

Mournus Skitarii 3rd Legion, the Will of Mourn

Kaffl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21 May 2009, 08:11   #4 (permalink)
Shas'El

Dont get me wrong, i love robbin crudice as a codex author and look forward to seeing which one he next writes (Partially because he gave me a free bane blade!!) but also because he has made the IG seem much more like a simple meat grinder machine (which it should be) to what the old 'dex made it like. The characters allow us players to make the army personal (I intend to use gunnery sergeant harkan quite regularly!) and it is these few characters that make the guard seem heroic and romantic like inthe old codex. This codex generally follows the pattern laid down by BL books like gaunts ghosts and caiphas cain.

Whether this is a change for the good or not though will remain to be seen in the first few games i play with them...

As for the penal legionnaires, while what you said Kaffl may be true, you will certainly see them a a threat next time and take them out much sooner. Right?. So then that is a squad of men gone down the drain. And bare in mind that suad if more expensive that a normal infantry squad. i just don't see how any one can justify that.
Old 24 May 2009, 15:20   #5 (permalink)
Shas'Vre

Send a message via MSN to LordZanuu

I just read something, and then something clicked into place.
Thanks to the new codex, a Guard player can field 9 Leman Russes, what I only just realised is that you can make them all Punishers (Am I correct?), so that is effectively Heavy 180. Man, that's sick.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chapter Master Seth
you can never go wrong with a little promethium.
Your resident MathHammerererer-er.
LordZanuu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24 May 2009, 16:07   #6 (permalink)
Shas'Saal

Quote:
Originally Posted by LordZanuu
Thanks to the new codex, a Guard player can field 9 Leman Russes, what I only just realised is that you can make them all Punishers (Am I correct?), so that is effectively Heavy 180. Man, that's sick.
On paper it is, in reality it is FAIL.

The Punisher (for the point cost) is not worth it. A standard Russ wins out every time.

The people have suffered years of warfare. Only the King of Qin can stop the chaos by uniting all under Heaven
Krumpa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24 May 2009, 16:11   #7 (permalink)
Zen
Ethereal

Send a message via MSN to Zen

Quote:
Yet another who only look at the Heavy 20...

Listen, the Leman Russ Punisher cost a whoppin' 180 Points. And taking 9 would be stupid in anything less than 2,000 Points. Even at 2,000-2,250, it's stupid. You got no points left for Anti-Tank. The Punisher itself is only 24" so and it needs to get close to make it effective. They're still BS3 and the AP is -. So, what so special about Heavy 20? You tell me. I just see this as a major point-sink.
Zen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24 May 2009, 16:23   #8 (permalink)
Shas'El

Send a message via AIM to Death-Merchant

well i think it has its place, but not 3 squads of 3.
Death-Merchant is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24 May 2009, 17:26   #9 (permalink)
Kroot Shaper

I still think the Leman Russ and Demolisher are the best way to go...

I like the idea of some of the other tanks, and if playing a campaign or something they may be a little more enticing. I'm thinking when I buy the new kit hopefully they're bee a way to magnetize, or swap out the weapons.
bc99 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24 May 2009, 17:29   #10 (permalink)
Shas'Saal

Quote:
Originally Posted by Zenai
Quote:
Yet another who only look at the Heavy 20...

Listen, the Leman Russ Punisher cost a whoppin' 180 Points. And taking 9 would be stupid in anything less than 2,000 Points. Even at 2,000-2,250, it's stupid. You got no points left for Anti-Tank. The Punisher itself is only 24" so and it needs to get close to make it effective. They're still BS3 and the AP is -. So, what so special about Heavy 20? You tell me. I just see this as a major point-sink.
For 30 points more, you get 10 hits on infantry guaranteed. The battlecannon scatters and only 3 inches are subtracted from a possible 12'' scatter due to the Russ's average Ballistic skill, so you're lucky if you manage 8 hits. Also, you have +1 rear armor, so you need not worry about getting into close combat with regular S4 guys.

But overall I agree that the Battlecannon is more effective simply due to its high strength (possible anti-tank weapon), low AP (good against marines as well), much larger range (rivaling a Railgun) and lower points cost. I think a lot more people would be considering the Punisher if it were 40 points cheaper but oh well...

Another weapon I find intriguing however, is the Nova Cannon...it's basically a Hammerhead submunition shot with Heavy Bolter range and the best thing about it is...it ignores cover. Because cover saves are so abundant in 5th edition (a Gaunt squad behind a hive tyrant receives 4+ cover), this weapon will be invaluable in taking out large chunks of light infantry as well as making buildings useless for things like eldar snipers with their damned 2+ cover saves or tau firewarriors boasting their 4+ armor.

Silver is offline   Reply With Quote