Chaos Space Marines Codex 2012

Warhammer 40k Forum Tau Online

Warhammer 40K Forum

Startin guard
Old 20 May 2009, 18:38   #1 (permalink)
Shas'Saal

Send a message via MSN to nidziller
Default Startin guard

Starting guard army, but I have some questions.

Firstly, I was looking at the GW ig product list, and the only armies I could find were cadian, catchacan, And voystratoin. Are you no longer alowed to use steel legion, iron guard, vallarn desert hunters any more?

I saw the new Commiser Lord model, it looks fantastic! i saw him with powersword, can I get him with power fist? Can he go in HQ squad? Can you get other versions of him? ig Catchacan? Is he as god as he looks?

I heard lasguns are only good in numbers, what is the stat line of them?

Any other info a beginner might need? (I know thier tanks are good).

Can catchacans use tanks

Thank you for your time and advice.

Old 20 May 2009, 18:46   #2 (permalink)
Shas'La

Default Re: Startin guard

You can find the models from other regiments in the collectors section of GW.
Schev is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20 May 2009, 19:03   #3 (permalink)
Kroot Shaper

Its always good to have some questions before charging headfirst into a new army. I'll try to help a little.

-The other models for guard (steel legion, iron, vallarn...) are in the classic range but will cost you your home and your car.

-The Commissar lord does have a pretty badass statline for a human. He is the strongest model in the codex, except for special characters. For now, there is only one model of him (bolt pistol, power sword), but you can easily use any other human model for conversions. He is an independent character, so he will be able to join an HQ squad.

-Lasguns are indeed one of the weakest gun in the game but you get alot of them. They have Low strength and a non-existent AP with the range of a bolter.

-Rules wise, there is a codex Catachan (very old and probably illegal for tournament use everywhere), The brand new guard codex and the armored battlegroup list (on GW website,well it was there before the change of design). To be honest, people will play with the new codex because the legality of the other 2 is dubious.

-You might want to consider going to your GW shop and reading quickly trough the codex, that should help alot. If possible, borrow a friends codex and read that.

-Oh, and yes, the tanks are good
Tyranids 1 / 0 / 0
Imperial Guard 0 / 3 / 0
Orks 1 / 0 / 0
levincent is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20 May 2009, 19:04   #4 (permalink)
Shas'Ui

You can use any guard armies that have excisted and will excist. I my self use Elysians.

Commisar Lord with power fist. That you can convert or just simply buy the commisar with a power fist and add some extra bling to make him a Commisar Lord. Dont make it more difficult than it really is.

Lasguns are not really powerful, thats true. Statline I dont think we are allowed to print out. But I can say that you will wound a Space marine on a 5 or 6. Thats how weak they are. Range is standard, and AP, dont even think about that.
So, Lasguns are good once you have a great number, and with the new codex there are orders that makes your guards shot an extra shot with their lasguns! So yes, the more lasguns you have, the better the effect.

Catachens can use anything in the codex. There are no real rules who can use what. But going all out fluff there might be some armies with restrictions, but still, catachans use tanks in their fluff too.

Info for beginners. Well IG can be made in various ways. A hord of lasguns and heavy weapons, Tanks tanks tanks tanks army, Elite army (veterans/storm troopers), Flying circus (Valkyries/Vendettas), etc.

So its up to you really. Find an army that suits you and go for it!
If Catachans are what you like, go for them.

They have a nice variation of things.

Yours Truly

Vash

Quote:
Originally Posted by levincent

-Oh, and yes, the tanks are good
LIES!
They are GREAT!

Please do not double post. -AC

It's just a game... have fun!
Vash is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20 May 2009, 19:53   #5 (permalink)
Shas'Saal

Send a message via MSN to nidziller

Cool, thanks guys, I'm thinking of startin steel legion. Another question, whats the difference between storm troopers and karskin?
Old 20 May 2009, 20:15   #6 (permalink)
Shas'O

Quote:
Originally Posted by nidziller
Cool, thanks guys, I'm thinking of startin steel legion. Another question, whats the difference between storm troopers and karskin?
Please use the search function. This question has been asked and answered multiple times.
Old 20 May 2009, 20:17   #7 (permalink)
Shas'La

As far as I am aware Kasrkin were released as alternative models to the old storm trooper models. I thought for a while they moved the old models to the classic range, but they are back front and center now if that was the case. They are also wearing bulkier carapace armor, so they could serve as grenadiers in the last codex and carapace vets in this one.
Schev is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21 May 2009, 00:25   #8 (permalink)
Shas'El

Send a message via AIM to Tausand sun Send a message via Yahoo to Tausand sun

Our tanks are good, not as good as tau IMO, for hunting other tanks but good and useful in a lot of situations and versatile. As someone already stated, giving statlines is against the rules, and even pointing out what they wound a marine on is iffy ground.

Recently switching from tau myself, I find the versatility and options open to the guard, VERY refreshing. There is at most two different styles of Tau army that are really viable, but five maybe even six different styles that are open to the guard as really viable options. Another three or four that aren't viable but are still really fun, and countless others you could come up with. They have a mix of everything, CC, GOOD long range, lots of templates, some good single shot big guns, Fast vehicles, slow ones. If you want an army that you can show up each week with a tottaly differnt style with, guard is for you.
"The Imperium has abandoned us brothers! And these blue-skinned "saviors" seek only to enslave us. Follow me and march to freedom so we might transform the galaxy into a peaceful place for all sentient species!" -- Commander Alexander of the 88th Aldarian Phoenix Regiment
Tausand sun is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21 May 2009, 00:59   #9 (permalink)
Shas'Ui

Quote:
Originally Posted by Aftercresent
Quote:
Originally Posted by nidziller
Please use the search function. This question has been asked and answered multiple times.
Holy cow the search button works again! I must rejoice!

At any rate, Steel Legion is definitely the way to go if you want to present a wall of armour. I've always had a soft spot for the defenders of Armageddon. Look for some of the Forge World Steel Legion tanks (assuming they're still up there), as they really are something special that will add a lot to your army if you make them look nice.

EDIT: Yeah, there are still the Armageddon Pattern vehicles and such. Click Here and scroll about a third of the way down the page to find them

Mournus Skitarii 3rd Legion, the Will of Mourn

Kaffl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21 May 2009, 03:36   #10 (permalink)
Shas'Ui

Send a message via MSN to Warpspiderman

Also, don't feel restricted to just Leman Russ tanks and Valkyries. The cheapest vehicles (besides sentinels) you can get are artillery pieces. There are multiple variants out now, so you can get artilley for taking out tanks, infantry of any kind, and negating cover. They're cheaper than tanks and can shoot over cover and buildings, depending on the variant.

If you're army is going to be more of a static firing line, I would definitely get a hold of some Basilisks or Griffons. However, if you want your steel legion armoured column to advance forward in a a hail of fire, go with a few tanks and muchas chimeras.