Tau Empire Codex 2013 | Army Builder Program
Dark Angels Codex 2013
Chaos Daemons Codex 2013
Chaos Space Marines Codex 2012

Warhammer 40k Forum Tau Online

 

Warhammer 40K Forum

basilisk indirect fire
Reply
Old 18 May 2009, 23:52   #1 (permalink)
Shas'La
 
Join Date: Nov 2008
Posts: 380
Default basilisk indirect fire

I don't play guard, but have been considering it carfully. I recently got my hands on the new codex and looked through it, great book! they added 20 pages of fluff and simplified it so much. Since I own IA:1 I can see how they arrived at most of what they have in it.

while reading through the new codex one thing that I could not find anywhere were the rules for indirect fire of the basilisk. where is it (page)? specifically they talk about how the basilisk shoots into cover and ignores cover and has lower BS for doing so, but I can't find anywhere the rules for indirect fire (they used to be togather) what are the general rules for indirect fire in the new 5th edition?
__________________
Quote:
Originally Posted by Blackadder
Sleep is a little slice of death that I begrudgingly have to succumb to on occasion but I don't make a habit of it if I can help it.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rafe
We altered the age old art of calling shotgun to now be known as calling Plasma Rifle on my car :P
Scratch-built Tau Manta . Scratch-built Tau Orca Drop Ship. Scratch-built Tau Barricuda. Scratch-built Tau Bastion.
Scratch-built Thunderhawk Dropship. Scratch-built 1:72nd scale Space Marine Landing Craft.
Scratch-built Chaos super-heavy dreadclaw drop pod/army transport.
hardcore is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18 May 2009, 23:56   #2 (permalink)
Shas'El
 
Join Date: Jan 2008
Location: Ota, Gunma Prefecture, Japan
Posts: 3,764
Default Re: basilisk indirect fire

Page 32 of the Rulebook, under "Barrage"; it's part of the core ruleset now.
__________________
[table][tr][td]Regards,
MT.[/td][td] [[/td][/tr][/table][hr]What's an abelian group with an associative, distributive secondary operator and the power to corrupt mortals?
[spoiler=Answer]The One Ring![/spoiler]
[hr]
Masked Thespian is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19 May 2009, 01:35   #3 (permalink)
Shas'Saal
 
Join Date: Apr 2009
Posts: 235
Default Re: basilisk indirect fire

pretty useless at indirect fire anyway, minimum range 36 lol
__________________
Wu-tang clan ain't nothang ta #$@% wid!!!!
Wu-Tang-Tau is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19 May 2009, 13:34   #4 (permalink)
Kroot Shaper
 
Join Date: Mar 2007
Posts: 78
Send a message via MSN to Biotitan
Default Re: basilisk indirect fire

thats why you bring more than one, so they can cover each others "blind spot"
Biotitan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19 May 2009, 14:21   #5 (permalink)
Shas'La
 
Join Date: Nov 2008
Posts: 380
Default Re: basilisk indirect fire

wow that is a major change of function and use effect.

how does cover work now? it says that cover saves are worked out from the center of the template etc? does it mean that if the center of the template is in cover the cover saves are allowed, and that if not then no cover saves?

also I read pages 50-60 where it talks about barrage templates, and multiple barrages, for a unit with multiple template shots (like three basilisks) after rolling scatter on the first, for each additional template on a hit the player chooses where to place, while on a scatter the template naturally drifts in that direction by the radius?
__________________
Quote:
Originally Posted by Blackadder
Sleep is a little slice of death that I begrudgingly have to succumb to on occasion but I don't make a habit of it if I can help it.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rafe
We altered the age old art of calling shotgun to now be known as calling Plasma Rifle on my car :P
Scratch-built Tau Manta . Scratch-built Tau Orca Drop Ship. Scratch-built Tau Barricuda. Scratch-built Tau Bastion.
Scratch-built Thunderhawk Dropship. Scratch-built 1:72nd scale Space Marine Landing Craft.
Scratch-built Chaos super-heavy dreadclaw drop pod/army transport.
hardcore is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19 May 2009, 17:40   #6 (permalink)
Shas'Vre
 
Join Date: Nov 2008
Location: United Kingdom
Posts: 1,876
Send a message via MSN to LordZanuu
Default Re: basilisk indirect fire

I wouldn't say they are useless at indirect fire, unless you are playing on a 48"x48" board. Otherwise, with a maximum range of 240" (I don't know if this has changed in the new codex) they are far from useless, IMHO.
__________________
Tau: W-44 L-7 T-7
Eldar: W-21 L-6 T-4

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chapter Master Seth
you can never go wrong with a little promethium.
Your resident MathHammerererer-er.
LordZanuu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20 May 2009, 00:34   #7 (permalink)
Shas'El
 
Join Date: Jan 2008
Location: Ota, Gunma Prefecture, Japan
Posts: 3,764
Default Re: basilisk indirect fire

Quote:
Originally Posted by hardcore
wow that is a major change of function and use effect.
Not really. Anyone who paid the points to make their Basilisk fire Indirectly in the last Codex used pretty much the exact same rules as they do now.


Quote:
Originally Posted by hardcore
how does cover work now? it says that cover saves are worked out from the center of the template etc? does it mean that if the center of the template is in cover the cover saves are allowed, and that if not then no cover saves?
Okay, under normal circumstances a cover save is only granted if cover lies directly between the firer and the target. The save is representative of the protection granted by the cover (either by physically stopping the shot or by preventing the firer from correctly targeting the target). With a Barrage weapon, the fire is assumed to come from the sky, as the concept of a Barrage weapon is one that launches its ammunition skywards whereupon it falls back to the ground and explodes. Ergo, the fire is considered to come from the centre hole of the blast marker rather than the firer for the purposes of working out a cover save. Does that make sense?


Quote:
Originally Posted by hardcore
also I read pages 50-60 where it talks about barrage templates, and multiple barrages, for a unit with multiple template shots (like three basilisks) after rolling scatter on the first, for each additional template on a hit the player chooses where to place, while on a scatter the template naturally drifts in that direction by the radius?
Basically, yes. If you roll an arrow, then you place the new template touching the initial template in the direction of the arrow. If it is a hit, you may place it anywhere touching the initial template (including allowing overlapping).
__________________
[table][tr][td]Regards,
MT.[/td][td] [[/td][/tr][/table][hr]What's an abelian group with an associative, distributive secondary operator and the power to corrupt mortals?
[spoiler=Answer]The One Ring![/spoiler]
[hr]
Masked Thespian is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply

Bookmarks


Currently Active Users Viewing This Thread: 1 (0 members and 1 guests)
 
Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are On
Pingbacks are On
Refbacks are On


Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Experience with indirect fire... not to include basilisk maniclurker Imperial Guard 36 11 Jul 2008 14:27
I have a question about IG basilisk indirect fire Redhaven Imperial Guard 5 23 Jun 2008 00:56
Trigonometry of Indirect Fire The Mothman General 40K 24 08 Nov 2007 06:32
Whirldwind and indirect fire Padawan Space Marines 14 26 Oct 2006 23:06
Problem: FoF & indirect fire; and some other stuff Bleak Tau 1 29 Jul 2006 12:48