Chaos Daemons Codex 2013
Chaos Space Marines Codex 2012

Warhammer 40k Forum Tau Online

Warhammer 40K Forum

basilisk indirect fire
Old 18 May 2009, 23:52   #1 (permalink)
Shas'La

Default basilisk indirect fire

I don't play guard, but have been considering it carfully. I recently got my hands on the new codex and looked through it, great book! they added 20 pages of fluff and simplified it so much. Since I own IA:1 I can see how they arrived at most of what they have in it.

while reading through the new codex one thing that I could not find anywhere were the rules for indirect fire of the basilisk. where is it (page)? specifically they talk about how the basilisk shoots into cover and ignores cover and has lower BS for doing so, but I can't find anywhere the rules for indirect fire (they used to be togather) what are the general rules for indirect fire in the new 5th edition?
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rafe
We altered the age old art of calling shotgun to now be known as calling Plasma Rifle on my car :P
Scratch-built Tau Manta . Scratch-built Tau Orca Drop Ship. Scratch-built Tau Barricuda. Scratch-built Tau Bastion.
Scratch-built Thunderhawk Dropship. Scratch-built 1:72nd scale Space Marine Landing Craft.
Scratch-built Chaos super-heavy dreadclaw drop pod/army transport.
hardcore is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18 May 2009, 23:56   #2 (permalink)
Shas'El

Default Re: basilisk indirect fire

Page 32 of the Rulebook, under "Barrage"; it's part of the core ruleset now.
[hr]
Masked Thespian is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19 May 2009, 01:35   #3 (permalink)
Shas'Saal

pretty useless at indirect fire anyway, minimum range 36 lol
Old 19 May 2009, 13:34   #4 (permalink)
Kroot Shaper

Send a message via MSN to Biotitan

thats why you bring more than one, so they can cover each others "blind spot"
Biotitan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19 May 2009, 14:21   #5 (permalink)
Shas'La

wow that is a major change of function and use effect.

how does cover work now? it says that cover saves are worked out from the center of the template etc? does it mean that if the center of the template is in cover the cover saves are allowed, and that if not then no cover saves?

also I read pages 50-60 where it talks about barrage templates, and multiple barrages, for a unit with multiple template shots (like three basilisks) after rolling scatter on the first, for each additional template on a hit the player chooses where to place, while on a scatter the template naturally drifts in that direction by the radius?
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rafe
We altered the age old art of calling shotgun to now be known as calling Plasma Rifle on my car :P
Scratch-built Tau Manta . Scratch-built Tau Orca Drop Ship. Scratch-built Tau Barricuda. Scratch-built Tau Bastion.
Scratch-built Thunderhawk Dropship. Scratch-built 1:72nd scale Space Marine Landing Craft.
Scratch-built Chaos super-heavy dreadclaw drop pod/army transport.
hardcore is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19 May 2009, 17:40   #6 (permalink)
Shas'Vre

Send a message via MSN to LordZanuu

I wouldn't say they are useless at indirect fire, unless you are playing on a 48"x48" board. Otherwise, with a maximum range of 240" (I don't know if this has changed in the new codex) they are far from useless, IMHO.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chapter Master Seth
you can never go wrong with a little promethium.
Your resident MathHammerererer-er.
LordZanuu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20 May 2009, 00:34   #7 (permalink)
Shas'El

Quote:
Originally Posted by hardcore
wow that is a major change of function and use effect.
Not really. Anyone who paid the points to make their Basilisk fire Indirectly in the last Codex used pretty much the exact same rules as they do now.

Quote:
how does cover work now? it says that cover saves are worked out from the center of the template etc? does it mean that if the center of the template is in cover the cover saves are allowed, and that if not then no cover saves?
Okay, under normal circumstances a cover save is only granted if cover lies directly between the firer and the target. The save is representative of the protection granted by the cover (either by physically stopping the shot or by preventing the firer from correctly targeting the target). With a Barrage weapon, the fire is assumed to come from the sky, as the concept of a Barrage weapon is one that launches its ammunition skywards whereupon it falls back to the ground and explodes. Ergo, the fire is considered to come from the centre hole of the blast marker rather than the firer for the purposes of working out a cover save. Does that make sense?

Quote:
also I read pages 50-60 where it talks about barrage templates, and multiple barrages, for a unit with multiple template shots (like three basilisks) after rolling scatter on the first, for each additional template on a hit the player chooses where to place, while on a scatter the template naturally drifts in that direction by the radius?
Basically, yes. If you roll an arrow, then you place the new template touching the initial template in the direction of the arrow. If it is a hit, you may place it anywhere touching the initial template (including allowing overlapping).
[hr]
Masked Thespian is offline   Reply With Quote