Chaos Daemons Codex 2013
Chaos Space Marines Codex 2012

Warhammer 40k Forum Tau Online

Warhammer 40K Forum

Power of the lasgun?
Old 16 May 2009, 00:28   #1 (permalink)
Ethereal

Default Power of the lasgun?

Something that came to my attention on games night (not in actual game): 1 lasgun isn't powerful.

10 Lasgun's is laughable.

But how about 250? Now, I haven't read the new guard codex (something along the lines of "Second rank fire!") but the thought of having a potential 500 lasgun shots at rapid fire range sounds like something nasty. In fact, if I can snag some 2nd hand models from e-bay im tempted to do it myself.

Thoughts?
Nightmare is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16 May 2009, 00:35   #2 (permalink)
Shas'Saal

Default Re: Power of the lasgun?

It is very possible, but alas only to 24 inches.

Spamming Guardsman to control the board is a valid tactic, IMHO when supported by armor.

The real test is who will paint 200+ guardsman?

The people have suffered years of warfare. Only the King of Qin can stop the chaos by uniting all under Heaven
Krumpa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16 May 2009, 00:38   #3 (permalink)
Ethereal

Quote:
Originally Posted by Krumpa

Spamming Guardsman to control the board is a valid tactic, IMHO when supported by armor.

Gimmie an airbrush, a pot of devlan mud and a few decent albums and I'll do it within a fortnight
Nightmare is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16 May 2009, 02:24   #4 (permalink)
Shas'Saal

if i may quote from the Rule book

"One bolter may be able to down an enemy, but one thousand lasguns can halt an army"

Please help my daemon lvl up
Shae2994 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16 May 2009, 02:30   #5 (permalink)
Shas'Ui

Quote:
Originally Posted by SILK
Something that came to my attention on games night (not in actual game): 1 lasgun isn't powerful.

10 Lasgun's is laughable.

But how about 250? Now, I haven't read the new guard codex (something along the lines of "Second rank fire!") but the thought of having a potential 500 lasgun shots at rapid fire range sounds like something nasty. In fact, if I can snag some 2nd hand models from e-bay im tempted to do it myself.

Thoughts?
In RF range you've got 3 shots per model. It's not 500 shots total, it's 750.

Sound better?

Mournus Skitarii 3rd Legion, the Will of Mourn

Kaffl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16 May 2009, 02:40   #6 (permalink)
Shas'El

Quote:
Originally Posted by Krumpa

I'm slowly on my way.

I've always been a fan of the lasgun, as my lists tend to be focused on volume of fire to bring down enemies. I love when players attempt to run their terms/HQ whatever straight into my lines without worrying about the lasgun. It makes it much more satisfying when they lose enough models to be defeatable in CC. Not sure which would be more insulting. Losing to lasguns or losing to guardsmen in CC.

Now with FRFSRF I can get enough lasgun shots to light up pretty much any infantry unit that is foolish enough to DS in front of me. Even if they survive, I still had a good time rolling a shitload of dice at them. Everyone gets scared of that many dice, no matter how weak they may be.

USAFTACP is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16 May 2009, 02:51   #7 (permalink)
Zen
Ethereal

Send a message via MSN to Zen

I'm a fan of the Lasgun myself. I've killed Terminators, Carnifexes and Daemon Princes. People seem to scoff it off until they've realized their unit is in rapid-firing range and I blast them to nothing~ness.

That said; another strength of the Imperial Guard is it's Special and Heavy Weapons. You can never survive without them. That is my advice; Use both your Lasguns and your Special and Heavy Weapons.
Zen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16 May 2009, 03:14   #8 (permalink)
Shas'Ui

Mine roll badly. I can FRFSRF with 20 models and not kill a single marine, as I have demonstrated... every time I've used that order.

Frightening to roll all those dice, yes, but you have to be able to actually roll dice well for it to work...

Mournus Skitarii 3rd Legion, the Will of Mourn

Kaffl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16 May 2009, 05:25   #9 (permalink)
Shas'El

Years of excessive amounts of PT have given my hands lots of callous. Or as I like to refer to it, natural sandpaper hehe.

USAFTACP is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16 May 2009, 17:17   #10 (permalink)
Kroot Shaper

One of my first games with IG, I was getting stomped on. This was many years ago, the mission did not have objectives, so I sat there and just put round after round down field. (Far different than playing Battle Fleet Gothic)

The Marines did not fall, until the Termies walked up and I droped two of them right away. After that it was just a matter of thinning Marines out until they reached me.

So from that point on, I disliked the Lasgun whenever I saw Marines. The Marines out shot me, had stronger guns and better AP.

Then I play with the new codex. Hot Shot Lasguns ripped Marines apart with rappid fire. Lasgun after lasgun fire still bounced off of Marines, but it made him roll saves over and over, and sooner or later he he rolled a 1 or 2.

Still not a huge fan of lasguns (and I have to rip bolters off of my old Sgts) but they do send a lot of firepower down rang when fighting anything not Marines...and are great support for Sniper Rilfes, Autocannons, Heavy Bolters, and Lascannons.
BlackTemplar40K is offline   Reply With Quote