Chaos Space Marines Codex 2012

Warhammer 40k Forum Tau Online

Warhammer 40K Forum

Question on Guard models and pig Iron
Old 15 May 2009, 20:36   #1 (permalink)
Shas'Saal

Default Question on Guard models and pig Iron

Hello,

So I am not in love with standard Cadians. I've been searching for ways to "improve" them. Pig Iron has some awesome looking alternative heads.

My question (s):

Has anyone used these?

Would they bar me from a sanctioned GW tournement?

What is the coolest conversion you've seen?

Totgeboren from Warseer and Dakka made these conversion; using pig iron heads and cutting down the lasguns;what do you think?

The people have suffered years of warfare. Only the King of Qin can stop the chaos by uniting all under Heaven
Krumpa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15 May 2009, 21:52   #2 (permalink)
Shas'El

Default Re: Question on Guard models and pig Iron

Tbh who cares about being "banned" from a GW tourny? Tournaments represent such a small fractions of player's gaming time.

USAFTACP is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16 May 2009, 00:39   #3 (permalink)
Shas'Saal

Quote:
Originally Posted by USAFTACP
Tbh who cares about being "banned" from a GW tourny? Tournaments represent such a small fractions of player's gaming time.
In my area, we have a GW tournament about every two months. GW only figures, but I would think that in the above example 90% of the figure is GW.

Nevertheless, I think they look infinitely cooler than stock troops, Probably the route I'm going to go.

The people have suffered years of warfare. Only the King of Qin can stop the chaos by uniting all under Heaven
Krumpa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16 May 2009, 00:49   #4 (permalink)
Shas'La

those look like forgworld death corps of kreig models, if you really care to make them 100% official games workshop I suppose you could try converting those. Point being, they look like something that already does exsist, if you hadn't told us, and we weren't curious enough to ask no one would know. Get familiar with the kreig models, and if anyone admires your army and wants one like it tell them to get the forgeworld models (Games Workshop will be happy for the extra money) and they will get pretty much the same thing. As to what you have, keep it, who cares if only 98% of the model is made by Games Workshop, If somone makes a big stink about it, then they aren't a great sportsman about it, and you can always do a headless zombie version (magnatise your heads) for tournements
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rafe
We altered the age old art of calling shotgun to now be known as calling Plasma Rifle on my car :P
Scratch-built Tau Manta . Scratch-built Tau Orca Drop Ship. Scratch-built Tau Barricuda. Scratch-built Tau Bastion.
Scratch-built Thunderhawk Dropship. Scratch-built 1:72nd scale Space Marine Landing Craft.
Scratch-built Chaos super-heavy dreadclaw drop pod/army transport.
hardcore is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16 May 2009, 03:24   #5 (permalink)
Kroot Shaper

They would be a great sub for traitor guardsman! Vraks anyone...
Old 16 May 2009, 13:33   #6 (permalink)
Shas'Ui

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jester
They would be a great sub for traitor guardsman! Vraks anyone...
They would I've been tempted to get some myself.
"They shall be my finest Cannon Fodder, these men who give themselves to me. Like clay I will mold them and in the furnace of war they will become cracked and broken. They will be of tissue paper and whimpy muscle. In tissue paper armor I clad them and with the mightiest flashlights they will be armed. They will be touched by every sort of plauge or disease to help further make them unhappy, all sickness will blight them. They will have almost no tactics, strategies, but lots of machines so that they can atleast stand up to a foe in battle. They are my tar pit against the Terror. They are the bulk of Humanity. They are my Imperial Guard and they will know much fear!"

A fortress circumvented ceases to be an obstacle. A fortress destroyed ceases to be a threat. Do not forget the difference.
- Attributed to Leman Russ

My armies may sleep, but big guns never tire.

Surrender - or die.
Typhon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16 May 2009, 13:47   #7 (permalink)
Shas'El

I think as long as the model is 50/50, for example, 50% GW Guardsmen, 50% Pig Iron, some Tournaments might allow the models, but seeing as those models are mostly GW, I think they would be allowed.

Kudos to whoever converted them, they're awesome!

Dark Adeptus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16 May 2009, 14:06   #8 (permalink)
Shas'El

I bought the Kolony Militia Heads from Pig Iron Productions and with some minor green stuff sculpting around the neck got them to fit on the Cadian IG with no troubles at all. All of the GW heads available from GW or Forgeworld just didn't quite fit the 'faceless inquisitorial goon' look that I was looking for in my inducted guard.

I doubt that your local GW will hassle you over it, but I'd try to avoid taking your army to a signature GW event like games day. If push comes to shove you can always try telling them that to get authentic traitor guard you had to get traitorous non-GW heads.
"Over the centuries, mankind has tried many ways of combating the forces of evil... prayer, fasting, good works and so on. Up until Doom, no one seemed to have thought about the double-barrel shotgun. Eat leaden death, demon..." ~ Terry Pratchett
ParadoxRifts is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16 May 2009, 21:51   #9 (permalink)
Shas'Vre

You should be fine. It is more than half GW parts (that is the usual requirement for a tourny, including games days i think). It is also a really good looking model, so not many people will call you on it anyway ;D

Quote:
Originally Posted by USAFTACP
You're playing the wrong game if you're concerned with things looking look like toys...
Quote:
Originally Posted by Captain Steel (Aun Leketh)
I have a response to that... it involves a dreadsock... :P
steck_638 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16 May 2009, 23:55   #10 (permalink)
Shas'O

Very nice conversions! The magazine looks extended as well though.

Seventh Sanctum signature oddities.
Alignment: Neutral Pessimistic
Area of Magical Study: Practical Chronomancy
Favorite Spells: Divine Spell of the Cotton Candy Golem and Field of Bacon.

Proud supporter of Joe Wood!

Makes this your one good deed a day.
http://www.thehungersite.com/
enderwiggin is offline   Reply With Quote