Warhammer 40K Forum

Colossus Uses and Tactics
Old 15 May 2009, 00:22   #1 (permalink)
Shas'Saal

Default Colossus Uses and Tactics

Hello,

Inspired by Zenai's write up:

Quote:
Zenai wrote: Colossus; One of the better artillery units, it has 2 things that make it stand out Ė itís AP3 and ignores Cover Saves. Perfect for killing Space Marines, Crisis Suits, Dark Reapers and anything else you so happen to hit thatís hiding in cover. Despite it must always be fired indirectly, it has a minimum range of 24Ē so its blind post isnít as bad as the Basilisks. Another drawback is thatís Strength 6 so itís not enough to instant-kill a Crisis Suits but for normal marines, theyíre still good.
Colossus seem like a must have for the Guard; if you can park the thing in cover(Camo netting, although ridiculously expensive, seems like a good idea for this unit). Twenty four inch minimum range must be factored into placement, but for Marine killing power it seems to be top notch.

When paired with two Demolishers, who have an effective range of twenty fours inches (30" with lumbering behemoth) the Colossus seems to have synergy.

No one wants to get within twenty four inches of two demolishers, but deepstriking, melta/fusion/powerfisting units will have to run the gauntlet.

Vendetta's also seems to fit with this style of play, providing and important anti tank element the Heavy support is missing.

So what do you think?

The people have suffered years of warfare. Only the King of Qin can stop the chaos by uniting all under Heaven
Krumpa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15 May 2009, 00:59   #2 (permalink)
Shas'La

Default Re: Colossus Uses and Tactics

Hmmm, I still don't like the minimum range. With so many fast, deepstriking, drop pod units in the game that makes me think anyone you play will jump at the chance to kill it before it can do much if any damage.

I am your lighted way and I am your darkest day. -Godsmack
Saint is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15 May 2009, 01:24   #3 (permalink)
Shas'El

Send a message via AIM to Death-Merchant

but i feel all you have to do is put a nice counter charge unit by them, such as a squad of rough riders. they are cheap and effective.
Death-Merchant is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15 May 2009, 14:14   #4 (permalink)
Shas'Ui

Send a message via MSN to Damian_Alpha

If your only problem is Deep Striking or Drop Pod-ed units, the minimum range isn't an issue. If those units target your artillery, most of the time there's nothing you can do anyway; either they will have destroyed it with anti-tank weapons, or they weren't aiming for your artillery in the first place.

Besides, this is the IG. If you don't have at least three units in a formation, you don't have enough guard. :P
"I have exactly one-hundred men under my command counting on ME to lead that charge, you two-bit mechanic. I have five seige tanks, eight APC's, an artillery platform and a light mech that need resupply and repair by dusk. I need remote mines set, trenches dug, and my men fed and rested, or those Marines are going to be using us for toothpicks. Get it done, Fio'vre." Officer Sherwin Jackson, 13th Dal'yth Company, to Fio'vre D'nan

"Feed well, my Bretheren. You are what you eat, and we have devoured the mighty." Master Shaper Korl Muur
Damian_Alpha is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15 May 2009, 15:35   #5 (permalink)
Shas'Ui

Colossus and two Demolishers will not stop a determained player to reach you.
Remember that there is alot of rules to counter this bascamping.

Such as outflank, deep strike, among some things.

And most armies have some kind of anti tank weapons. Taking out two demolishers isnt the hardest thing in my experiance. A simple rhino with space marines and a meltagun will take out a demolisher at close range (yes of course you have to get there, but thats all apart of the tactics). Backed up with either another rhino with similar setting, or perhaps attack bikes will make it easy.
Getting the Colossus after that isnt really so hard.

Dont get me started on Tau... they will just blast the hell out of those tanks with railguns. I am sorry to say that there isnt much cover today as it was before. Its ruins and houses that provide enough screening cover nowdays.

The fact is, dont go blind on the fact that you have alot of pie plated that might scare the simple minded player. This will be your own downfall.

I played a pure sisters of battle army with only boltguns, flamers, and meltaguns (holy trinity according to fluff). No Exorcist, dont need it, and I acctually think it sucks.
My anti tank was simple meltaguns, and guess what... it did the job. Against tank heavy IG I lost one out of ten games.
People misstake was that they underestimated the power of the army, due to its short range (basically I had 12" since I moved all the time).
So in conclusion, an army with short range will still get your hiding tanks. They will use irretating tricks and some times cheesy tactics to get there, but then again, covering in a corner isnt the most brave thing to do either.

*edit

To acctually support the Colossus better I would say, get infantry. If someone is out to get your tank trio, they will send in what? Yes you guessed it, ANTI TANK.
And what is your combo based on? Tanks...

So get infantry, cheaper and acctually better to use when protecting against anti tank units (in many cases).
Two squads of veterans with camo cloaks would kill of most things that come to close.

It's just a game... have fun!
Vash is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15 May 2009, 17:46   #6 (permalink)
Shas'El

It's actually quite hard for Tau to "blast the hell out of tanks" with railguns. AV14 is tough to crack for anything. A team of three broadsides will get 2 hits on average, with only one of those doing enough damage for a glancing or pen, and then you still have a hard time blowing one up. That's a lot of firepower to spend on something that' a guard player really only uses to soak up fire.

Two Demo's with your Colossus will be very hard to reach, not only that but of someone really wants to get over there and try to blow it up, they're wasting a lot of their resources just to get a few tanks while leaving the real killer of your army, your guardsmen, unhindered.

A better solution would be to smother them with guardsmen. It's incredibly easy and effective.

USAFTACP is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15 May 2009, 18:00   #7 (permalink)
Shas'Saal

Thank you for the responses,

Two Demolishers and a Colossus are less than six hundred points; in an 1850 point game, I believe they would have adequate back up.

I didn't want to befuddle the discussion with the rest of the list, but I had planned on 50 veterans in five chimeras to back up that proposed list.

I am trying to put the pieces together that compliment each other best. (Before placing my huge order to GW pre-price increase)

Alternatively, I was debating on six (three groups of two) naked LRBT as the basis of my Heavy support.

Two inquisitors, (one HQ one Elite) in two Land Raiders with Mystic retinues. (Wargamer just cringed at my heresy )

Primaris Psycher being my Guard HQ.

Three veteran squads in three Vendetta's as Troops.

I still have to run the numbers, but it seems a little more resilient, albeit lacking of troops. (which a tank heavy army will be)

What do you think?

The people have suffered years of warfare. Only the King of Qin can stop the chaos by uniting all under Heaven
Old 15 May 2009, 18:13   #8 (permalink)
Shas'El

Lose the land raiders. They aren't worth the points you spend on them when you could get more Russ variants.

USAFTACP is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15 May 2009, 18:26   #9 (permalink)
Shas'Vre

Send a message via MSN to Hoarday

I agree with USAFTACP, except you've got plenty of russes as is. If you're going to run squadrons, 2 should be sufficient in each slot. 6 Standard russes will be a lot for most armies to handle on their own. Drop the Raiders and get a couple static infantry platoons to act as a reserve firebase/redundancy scoring group for close objectives. The triple veterans in vendettas is a good plan, but if they come in too early, you're going to lose them.
Old 15 May 2009, 18:29   #10 (permalink)
Shas'Saal

Quote:
Originally Posted by USAFTACP
Lose the land raiders. They aren't worth the points you spend on them when you could get more Russ variants.
Yeah they are iffy right now, I am coming up short on Anti-Tank firepower. Maybe (cringe) two squads of two Vendetta's.

I would have to talk my buddy Jeff into putting the blasted things together though, as I lack opposable thumbs.