Dark Angels Codex 2013
Chaos Daemons Codex 2013
Chaos Space Marines Codex 2012

Warhammer 40k Forum Tau Online

Warhammer 40K Forum

Conscripts.....Who is using them?
Old 13 May 2009, 22:35   #1 (permalink)
Shas'Saal

Default Conscripts.....Who is using them?

Hello,

Picture this:

Fifty man conscript squad with named character that allows them to come back from the table edge (Codex is at work)

My thoughts, Conscripts are a fifty man meat shield, hanging out in the back, near Creed and a Commissar Lord. If you get close, they charge with Creeds furious charge command and tie you up (100 attacks, strength 3 initiative 4). On my turn (if needed) they are destroyed(special character rule), I shoot you with everything that can see you, and they come back on the board to rinse and repeat.

I was thinking of picking up fifty Valhallans from games Workshop, $150.00. As noted, I like things that look cool but struggle to find a tactical use for them.

So help a Commissar out, is this feasible?

The people have suffered years of warfare. Only the King of Qin can stop the chaos by uniting all under Heaven
Krumpa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13 May 2009, 22:58   #2 (permalink)
Shas'El

Default Re: Conscripts.....Who is using them?

If you have 50 models in one squad, you aren't even going to get half of them into CC. People seem to forget that not everyone can fight in CC. The models in base contact, and any within 2" of that model can attack. Everyone else just stands there like morons.

USAFTACP is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13 May 2009, 23:12   #3 (permalink)
Shas'Saal

Quote:
Originally Posted by USAFTACP
If you have 50 models in one squad, you aren't even going to get half of them into CC. People seem to forget that not everyone can fight in CC. The models in base contact, and any within 2" of that model can attack. Everyone else just stands there like morons.
Not the overall point mate, 50 wounds with commissar Lord within twelve inches. Welcome to tarpit ville. They aren't going to kill you, the other guys standing behind them, when they disappear will.

The people have suffered years of warfare. Only the King of Qin can stop the chaos by uniting all under Heaven
Old 15 May 2009, 20:17   #4 (permalink)
Shas'La

Quote:
True, but those guys who stand there like morons make excellent casualties, leaving the hard working fighting men to get their swings. God, I love 5th edition! ;D
Droofus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15 May 2009, 20:37   #5 (permalink)
Shas'La

Not to mention that 50 conscripts will bog down an enemy for a looooong time.
wesswll is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15 May 2009, 20:43   #6 (permalink)
Shas'Saal

Quote:
Originally Posted by Droofus
Quote:
True, but those guys who stand there like morons make excellent casualties, leaving the hard working fighting men to get their swings. God, I love 5th edition! ;D
True, I am willing to bet that around a standard ten man space marine squad, I could get enough 4 point/ strength three, initiative 4, stubborn/ re rolling all failed to hits (Priest) to guarantee my opponent would say, "What just happened to my squad?"

Mathhammer isn't my bag, but I would be interested in the results:

*Disclaimer* I know it is hard to do in a static environment, vs equal points they would die. But I would be using them as a shield/bullet catcher for everything else. Bonus would be a deep striking stern Guard/ or even a dreadnought. Why? they can be conveniently removed from play when it is most convenient (on my turn) so I can blast everyone they were tying up in close combat.

50 conscripts
Priest
Creed "For Cadia" command
Lord Commissar Stubborn

VS: Tac marine/Orc/Terminator squad

Thanks in advance if anyone has the time and abilities