Chaos Daemons Codex 2013
Chaos Space Marines Codex 2012

Warhammer 40k Forum Tau Online

Warhammer 40K Forum

My qualm - Voystroyans got nerfed
Old 13 May 2009, 12:33   #1 (permalink)
Shas'O

Default My qualm - Voystroyans got nerfed

I knew it was coming...to an extent. No more Sharpshooters. No more Hardened Fighters. But I didn't expect it to be this one sided. >

Because Vostroyans' single remaining signature feature is their Carapace Armor, Infantry Platoons don't work for them (no armor upgrade option). Because they are pretty much limited to Veteran squads for their Troops, they cannot have special weapons squads, they cannot have heavy weapons squads, etc. This is incredibly frustrating as it means I either have to a) field an Infantry Platoon in mesh armor (no fewer than 25 models) just to field a heavy weapons squad (also in mesh armor). Or I simply cannot use Heavy Weapons squads at all.

The other option is to try to work them into the command squads, but that's not an efficient use of the slots available to us for company HQ's.

[hr]
So I'm open for recommendations on how to make this work more efficiently. Any help would be appreciated,
Em
Farseer_Emlyn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13 May 2009, 14:33   #2 (permalink)
Zen
Ethereal

Send a message via MSN to Zen
Default Re: My qualm - Voystroyans got nerfed

Take Veteran Squads; with Grenadier Doctrine (Carapace Armor), fully decked out with Special and Heavy Weapons and a Chimera. Should be around...200~ish Points per squad.

Sharpshooter? Veterans are BS4.
Hardened Fighters? Take Colonel 'Iron Hand' Straken.

How many points are we talking? I can do a list for you
Zen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13 May 2009, 16:31   #3 (permalink)
Shas'O

Well, the thing is that I can run the Veteran Squads, that's not a problem. I quite like them. But I end up with three mortar teams left over because they were being used as a weapons squad in the old 'dex. Now, however, they really don't fit anywhere...which is very frustrating, to be honest.

Here's what I have:
1 Commander with Boltgun
1 Officer with Power Fist
1 Officer with Plasma Pistol & Power Weapon
1 Techpriest
2 Snipers
6 Sergeants
6 Flamers
6 Heavy Bolter Teams
3 Mortar Teams
36 Guardsmen
2 Griffons

I was thinking of running 6 Veteran Squads (Sgt, Flamer, H. Bolters, 6 Lasguns with Grenadiers).

Then I'd take a Company Command Platoon with two snipers, and a Mortar Team, and maybe the Master of the Ordinance.

I was thinking of taking another company command platoon with two mortar teams. But I'm not sure how efficient that would be. That's 80 points for two more mortars plus the company commander stuff.

Anyway, this comes to 1067 with the two Griffons with Extra armor.

Is this the way to go or am I missing it? It's for my son and he'll be predominately fighting my Ork horde army.

Thanks,
Em
Old 13 May 2009, 17:18   #4 (permalink)
Zen
Ethereal

3 things I would do:
1) Get more Special Weapons (Veterans are meant to be decked out in Special Weapons)
2) Get Chimeras/Valkyries (You're going to play an Elite Infantry force and they're better protected in a Transport)
3) Get Leman Russes/Storm Troopers/Rough Riders/Hellhounds/Sentinels (Add more Fire Support)

There's no real solution if you want to Mortars in your list unless you wanna play normal grunt Infantry Squads which I think it's not suited for Vostroyans anyway. I think you just have to accept that you can't fit everything in. Just take my earlier advice and the one I've just told you then you got a viable force. Quick question though; is this for competitive play?

Old 13 May 2009, 18:30   #5 (permalink)
Shas'La

Quote:
Originally Posted by Farseer_Emlyn
Or I simply cannot use Heavy Weapons squads at all.
Heavy Weapon Squads are much squishier than they used to be; probably for the better you don't try running them now!
Old 13 May 2009, 18:35   #6 (permalink)
Shas'O

Thanks, Zen. Unfortunately, buying new models isn't a priority for this list. :P But if I was going to expand, your recommendations would be right around what I was planning on doing.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Zenai
Quick question though; is this for competitive play?
Nope. It's for my 6 year old son to use against my Orks for fun. So it's okay that the list lacks almost any ability to punch vehicles.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Maine
Heavy Weapon Squads are much squishier than they used to be; probably for the better you don't try running them now!
Yes...and no. I wouldn't run a Heavy Bolter Squad now. But I would consider running a Mortar Squad as they don't need LOS and still benefit from 5th edition rules for indirect fire and such.
Old 14 May 2009, 16:41   #7 (permalink)
Shas'Ui

Send a message via MSN to Damian_Alpha

I would just like to point out that you may only take a single Heavy Weapons team per squad (Unless it is a dedicated Heavy Weapons Squad)

That being said, here is a list suggestion; Get mobile. Your son is going to get overrun if he doesn't have some way of securing objectives. Attach some Chimera Transports (They are relatively cheap, points-wise), and pick up some more infantry. If you still have some grenade launcher arms from your other guardsman kits, deck out a good number of them with some explosives (handy for dealing with high toughness, and the blast is good for adding hits on infantry). If you are running true, metal vostroyans, you may need to pick up the models individually. Either way, you will need the models for a new commands squad so that you can properly support your elite infantry with orders.
[hr]
[hr]
HQ
Company command Squad
Officer with Boltgun
Sniper x2
Mortar Team
Master of the Ordinance
Carapace Armor
+ Chimera Transport
Multi Laser, Heavy Flamer

Company command Squad
(same as above, but with Powerfist)
+ Chimera Transport

Techpriest
Troops
Vet Squad (Plas/PW sergeant)
2x Flamers, Heavy Bolter, Grenadiers
+ Chimera Transport

Vet Squad
2x Flamers, Heavy Bolter, Grenadiers
+ Chimera Transport

Vet Squad
2x Flamer, Heavy Bolter, Grenadiers
+ Chimera Transport

Vet Squad
2 Grenade Launchers, Heavy Bolter, Grenadiers
Vet Squad
Vet Squad
Heavy Support
Griffon
Griffon
[hr]
[hr]

That should bump it up to around 1500, giving you a balance of 3 Veteran teams for each Command Squad, which uses your orders fairly efficiently and allows for some casualties. The chimera mounts allow for reaching objectives in short order, or can be sent ahead of the infantry to soften the enemy line while the heavy bolters and grenade launchers pour in supressing fire. Additionally, the flamers are concentrated so as to kill off individual units quickly (Once the enemy is that close, you don't get a second shot), while artillery support from the griffons and command squads keeps the target down.
"I have exactly one-hundred men under my command counting on ME to lead that charge, you two-bit mechanic. I have five seige tanks, eight APC's, an artillery platform and a light mech that need resupply and repair by dusk. I need remote mines set, trenches dug, and my men fed and rested, or those Marines are going to be using us for toothpicks. Get it done, Fio'vre." Officer Sherwin Jackson, 13th Dal'yth Company, to Fio'vre D'nan

"Feed well, my Bretheren. You are what you eat, and we have devoured the mighty." Master Shaper Korl Muur
Damian_Alpha is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15 May 2009, 03:10   #8 (permalink)
Shas'Vre

why not run them as normal infantry? you would have to buy more men but its for a guard army so you need to get more anyway .

No where (that I have seen so far) says you have to run them as vets and this seems more of a russian feel (vostyrans remind me of russians)

Quote:
Originally Posted by USAFTACP
You're playing the wrong game if you're concerned with things looking look like toys...
Quote:
Originally Posted by Captain Steel (Aun Leketh)
I have a response to that... it involves a dreadsock... :P
steck_638 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15 May 2009, 03:15   #9 (permalink)
Zen
Ethereal

1) Infantry Squads don't have Carapace Armor
2) Vostroyan models are fricking expensive
Old 17 May 2009, 16:02   #10 (permalink)
Shas'Ui

Send a message via MSN to 33rd Sirican Redbacks

I believe that Vostroyan squads have access to 3 sniper rifles, you will just have to field 10 man units, by the way sniper weapons now require BS dont they?, so veterans make better use of sniper rifles anyway.