Chaos Space Marines Codex 2012

Warhammer 40k Forum Tau Online

Warhammer 40K Forum

Guard Deployment
Old 12 May 2009, 14:00   #1 (permalink)
Vxx
Shas'Saal

Default Guard Deployment

I was skimming through the new codex and didnt come across anything that details how Guard are to be deployed. The previous codex said you can deploy your forces (like your massive troop squads) seperately at the beginning of the game but I didnt see anything that mentions it. I didnt read through it word for word yet but just curious if the new guard still get this because Im trying to figure out how the troop choice with all its heavy and special weapons would be deployed. Like would they all need to stay within 2" of each other or can the troops walk away from the heavy weapons choices?
Old 12 May 2009, 14:05   #2 (permalink)
Shas'Saal

Default Re: Guard Deployment

Top of pg 96 Imp Guard Codex, the whole platoon goes together.
1. Do you intend to win even if it might take the fun of the game away from either yourself or your opponent?

If you answered yes to question 1, you are in fact a power gamer, and your list is probably either beardy or you can abuse the rules to make it such.
Tech-Commander Archive is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12 May 2009, 19:37   #3 (permalink)
Shas'La

Default Re: Guard Deployment

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vxx
I was skimming through the new codex and didnt come across anything that details how Guard are to be deployed. The previous codex said you can deploy your forces (like your massive troop squads) seperately at the beginning of the game but I didnt see anything that mentions it. I didnt read through it word for word yet but just curious if the new guard still get this because Im trying to figure out how the troop choice with all its heavy and special weapons would be deployed. Like would they all need to stay within 2" of each other or can the troops walk away from the heavy weapons choices?
The new codex doesn't need to specify like the old 3rd edition one (yes, 3rd; most people don't realize that the previous codex was pre 4th edition, we had two releases during 3rd). There is nothing that states a FOC Choice is a single unit, and only units must maintain coherency. Instead, each entry in a codex is a unit.

If you take an Infantry Platoon that consists of a Command Squad, 4 Infantry Squads, 2 Special Weapon Squads, and 2 Heavy Weapon Squads, and a squad of Conscripts, then that is a single Troops choice, but it is 10 seperate units. As Archive said, they all get deployed at the same time (or enter the table at the same time), but there is no requirement that they be deployed within 2" of each other, nor do they need to stay within 2" of each other. Once they are on the table, each Squad is an entirely independent unit.