Old 10 May 2009, 08:41   #1 (permalink)
Zen
Ethereal

Send a message via MSN to Zen
Default Zenaiís Guide to Stupid Guard Tricks

Zenaiís Guide to Stupid Guard Tricks
By Zenai a.k.a. Colonel-Emir Zenai "Power Klaw" Dxakurnain

[hr]

It is the 41st Millennium. For more than a hundred centuries the Emperor has sat immobile on the Golden Throne of Earth. He is the Master of mankind by the will of the gods, and master of a million worlds by the might of his inexhaustible armies. He is a rotting carcass writhing invisibly with power from the Dark Age of Technology. He is the Carrion Lord of the Imperium for whom a thousand souls are sacrificed every day, so that he may never truly die.

Yet even in his deathless state, the Emperor continues his eternal vigilance. Mighty battlefleets cross the daemon-infested miasma of the warp, the only route between distant stars, their way lit by the Astronomican, the psychic manifestation of the Emperor's will. Vast armies give battle in his name on uncounted worlds. Greatest amongst his soldiers are the Adeptus Astartes, the Space Marines, bio-engineered super-warriors. Their comrades in arms are legion: the Imperial Guard and countless planetary defence forces, the ever vigilant Inquisition and the tech-priests of the Adeptus Mechanicus to name only a few. But for all their multitudes, they are barely enough to hold off the ever-present threat from aliens, heretics, mutants - and worse.

To be a man in such times is to be one amongst untold billions. It is to live in the cruelest and most bloody regime imaginable. These are the tales of those times. Forget the power of technology and science, for so much has been forgotten, never to be re-learned. Forget the promise of progress and understanding, for in the grim dark future there is only war. There is no peace amongst the stars, only an eternity of carnage and slaughter, and the laughter of thirsting gods.

[hr]

Welcome to another article written by me, Zenai! For over the few weeks, the Guard has caused havoc and mass hysteria all over the world as well as on the Internet though Iíve said a few times that the Guard Codex is quite balanced and good, unlike CODEX: ULTRAMARINES! But we do have a few (stupid) tricks up our sleeves for the L.O.L.s and giggles. I thought I just add a Special Characters Section to my first article but then I thought this would be funnier. Without further ado, I present Zenaiís Guide to Stupid Guard Tricks.

[hr]

Stupid Guard Trick #1
Commander Chenkov x (Captain Alírahem + Conscripts) Ė Alright, the rule says that if you have Chenkov, a Conscripts can have the Send in the Next Wave Special Rule. Now, this allows the player to bring in the Conscripts back into the game if they were completely destroyed (No doubts about that!) or you choose to take them out as casualties and in Annihilation games count as a KP but this is for L.O.L.s and giggles so it doesnít matter. Now, Captain Alírahemís own Special Rule; Stalk the Enemy allows Captain Alírahemís Infantry Platoonís Conscripts can outflank. So, combine all that and you get an endless wave of Conscripts outflanking despite it being destroyed over and over again. This can be a major thorn at your opponentís side. Who can ignore 50-man Conscripts suddenly coming into their Gunline? Tanks, maybe but normal Infantry i.e. Space Marines can be assaulted by these Conscripts. This tactics serves as a distraction and/or objective claiming/denying.

Stupid Guard Trick #2
Lord Castellan Creed + Any unit Ė Creed allows any one Infantry/Vehicle unit to have the Scout USR. I know what youíre thinking and youíre right. Outflanking Leman Russes! Yes, a Squadron of 3 Leman Russes (Any variant will do) will suddenly come from the tableís sides. Who wouldnít Shtlk bricks at that? Now, this isnít just limited to Leman Russes. Hellhounds, Armored Sentinel Squadron, Rough Riders, Ogryns or, if youíre including Inquisition, Land Raiders (and its passengers), Grey Knight Terminators, Seraphim Squad, Exorcist and many, many more! The possibilities are endless!

Stupid Guard Trick #3
Lord Castellan Creed/Colonel ĎIron Handí Straken + Any CC-orientated unit Ė What these 2 Special Characters have in common is that theyíre able to confer the Furious Charge USR (one way or another). Now, itís not so bad on Guardsmen (unless you think 50-man squad with Furious Charge is scary which might be in some peopleís opinion) but taking advantage of the Inquisition Codex, your Grey Knights can hit at Strength 7 (Grey Knightís Base Strength + Nemesis Force Weapon + Furious Charge). And if youíre lucky, your Callidus Assassin can reap the benefits and hit at Strength 5 as well; which just makes her deadlier. The problem is; for Creed, if theyíre more than 24Ē away, how are you going to get him in range to issue the Order without exposing him? For Straken, how is he going to survive if heís tagging along and not in Power Armor? Both can be easily fixed in many ways so I donít need to delved into that

Stupid Guard Trick #4
Psyker Battle Squad + Shooty/Pinning/CC-units Ė The main powers you want to use is the Weaken Resolve Psychic Power therefore for the remainder of the turn, their Leadership is lowered to the point where itís almost impossible to pass (unless theyíre Stubborn or Fearless, of course). Now, mixed this with shooting the said target until they have to take a Morale Test or Pinned them and theyíre surely fail unless they Go to Ground. So, CC can completely destroy them by defeating them in combat and can see them run from CC thus either you run them down or chase them down until the leave the tabletop. I would like to point to a specific Chaos Daemon Special Character; Kairos. He almost never fails a save nor leadership. So, if you actually get to wound Kairos and if so happen to have a Psyker Battle Squad use their Weaken Resolve Psychic Power on Kairos, he will surely disappear off the tabletop. Or maybe your opponentís Psyker is being a very sharp thorn i.e. Eldar Farseer. Lower the Farseerís Leadership and they will find casting their own Psychic Powers impossible. Another small trick is to have a Primaris Psyker cast Nightshroud on an important unit i.e. Infantry Squad on an objective and then have the Psyker Battle Squad cast Weaken Resolve against a potential threat for the Infantry Squad.
But remember; their Psychic Powers is dependent on the number of Sanctioned Psykers within the Psyker Battle Squad. So, protect them by putting them in a Chimera.

Stupid Guard Trick #5
Fire on my Target + Vindicare Assassin You will that your Vindicare Assassin has to put up with unnatural Cover Saves or lucky 5+ rolls for Cover Saves. So, one way to tip it in your favor is to issue the Order Fire on my Target on the Vindicare Assassin against maybe a Special Character e.g. Sergeant Telion.

[hr]

As you can see, the Guard is without some silliness and some might say cheese~ but this is in line with 5th Edition Codex trends; retarded OP builds and tactics. Remember that these tactics might lower your Composition score if you're in a Tournament (that actually cares about composition that is) as well as their own weaknesses. I'm happy with the Guard that it doesn't have anything that can be made into like CSM's Dual Lashes, Ork's Nob Bikerz, Eldar's Saim-Hann Seer Council etc. Hope you all take this article lightly
Old 10 May 2009, 09:37   #2 (permalink)
Kroot Shaper

Default Re: Zenaiís Guide to Stupid Guard Tricks

haha, I love the creed and outflank one, what I'm enjoying the most about the special characters in this new codex is that there are so many little tricks that you can pull with them that you tend to overlook all the possiblities possible.

BTW a trick I was contemplating was a 500 pt game with a commisar lord w/ power fist + carapace, 2 vet squads with plasma guns and carapace, and a valkryie with HB's, thats one hell'uva 500 pt list! I think there are even a couple points left over

500 pts Radical Daemonhunters (3 years)
wins 2 losses 4 draws 0

Black Templars (Retired @ 5 years)
wins 52 losses 21 draws 19

Dark Angles (Retired @ 2 years)
wins 7 losses 34 draws 0

Mech Eldar(2 years)
wins 13 losses 3 draws 11 2nd Jahxan Heavy Siege Regiment (1 month) wins 1 losses 0 draws 0 ~ A moment of laxity spawns a lifetime of heresy, never forget never forgive.
Old 10 May 2009, 10:26   #3 (permalink)
Shas'La

Quote:
Originally Posted by Zenai
Stupid Guard Trick #1
Commander Chenkov x (Captain Alírahem + Conscripts) Ė Alright, the rule says that if you have Chenkov, a Conscripts can have the Send in the Next Wave Special Rule. Now, this allows the player to bring in the Conscripts back into the game if they were completely destroyed (No doubts about that!) or you choose to take them out as casualties and in Annihilation games count as a KP but this is for L.O.L.s and giggles so it doesnít matter. Now, Captain Alírahemís own Special Rule; Stalk the Enemy allowsCaptain Alírahemís Infantry Platoonís Conscripts can outflank. So, combine all that and you get an endless wave of Conscripts outflanking despite it being destroyed over and over again. This can be a major thorn at your opponentís side. Who can ignore 50-man Conscripts suddenly coming into their Gunline? Tanks, maybe but normal Infantry i.e. Space Marines can be assaulted by these Conscripts. This tactics serves as a distraction and/or objective claiming/denying.
It does however state in the rules that the new unit moves onto the board from the players board edge, so you won't have multiple waves outflanking!
Old 10 May 2009, 11:14   #4 (permalink)
Shas'Ui

Quote:
The problem is; for Creed, if theyíre more than 24Ē away, how are you going to get him in range to issue the Order without exposing him? For Straken, how is he going to survive if heís tagging along and not in Power Armor?
But... But... Straken does have Power Armour. Or at least Power Armour equivalent.

Silly Zenai not reading his codex ;D

Mournus Skitarii 3rd Legion, the Will of Mourn

Old 10 May 2009, 13:25   #5 (permalink)
Zen
Ethereal

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kaffl
Quote:
The problem is; for Creed, if theyíre more than 24Ē away, how are you going to get him in range to issue the Order without exposing him? For Straken, how is he going to survive if heís tagging along and not in Power Armor?
But... But... Straken does have Power Armour. Or at least Power Armour equivalent.

Silly Zenai not reading his codex ;D
I still say he's quite vulnerable. He ain't all invincible

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sardis Varrn
It does however state in the rules that the new unit moves onto the board from the players board edge, so you won't have multiple waves outflanking!
Well, I say they can outflank but I guess we need GW FAQ to resolve this.
Old 10 May 2009, 13:38   #6 (permalink)
Shas'Ui

Sorry to barge in, but having just fought Straken, I have to add that he's not Invincible by any means.
Granted he has a 3+ armor save, and his 5+ refractor field and is T4 with 3 wounds, he's darn powerful by IG standards.
However, compared to a LOT of CQC laden armies (Orks, Daemons, Nids), he's only decent, and is Power Fist insta-killable.
Still, he is in a squad, which means he can't be picked out usually.
Now if you want to make him really nasty, you give him a Medikit and a Priest, he becomes a little whirlwind of death. Just truly not the end all. Still 5 S7 Power Weaponed re-rerollable attacks = OUCH.

Best,
-BT
Old 10 May 2009, 14:12   #7 (permalink)
Shas'El

Quote:
I can see Zenai's point on this, just be sure to remember that only the conscripts attached to Al'Rahem's platoon outflank

Old 10 May 2009, 14:24   #8 (permalink)
Zen
Ethereal

Quote:
Originally Posted by USAFTACP
Quote:
I can see Zenai's point on this, just be sure to remember that only the conscripts attached to Al'Rahem's platoon outflank
Already pointed that out. I think I'm done with this article unless you guys got some more silly tricks to add.
Old 10 May 2009, 15:21   #9 (permalink)
Shas'Ui

Send a message via MSN to Damian_Alpha

How about Commissar Yarrick with a unit of Ogryns, and a primaris psycher to shroud them?
40+ S6 attacks that re-roll to hit, with 30 S5 shots softening up the target beforehand, AND Yarrick being an super-Necron?

Or taking deathstrike missile launchers w/Techpriest Enginseers, making it IMPOSSIBLE to desroy the model unless you get a penetrating hit, and even then the techpriest repairs Wep.Destroyed and immobilized results?

Or that the guard army as a whole can have a Large blast, S8+ weapon in every FOC except fast attack (where the valkyries get two S4 large blast EACH, or can take a Melta small blast, or 3 plasma cannons in a sentinel squad).

I can throw out more, if you would like... ;D
"I have exactly one-hundred men under my command counting on ME to lead that charge, you two-bit mechanic. I have five seige tanks, eight APC's, an artillery platform and a light mech that need resupply and repair by dusk. I need remote mines set, trenches dug, and my men fed and rested, or those Marines are going to be using us for toothpicks. Get it done, Fio'vre." Officer Sherwin Jackson, 13th Dal'yth Company, to Fio'vre D'nan

"Feed well, my Bretheren. You are what you eat, and we have devoured the mighty." Master Shaper Korl Muur
Old 10 May 2009, 15:51   #10 (permalink)
Zen
Ethereal

That's not what I'm looking for :-\
Closed Thread