Chaos Daemons Codex 2013
Chaos Space Marines Codex 2012

Warhammer 40k Forum Tau Online

Warhammer 40K Forum

First 5th edition guard experance
Old 10 May 2009, 03:13   #1 (permalink)
Shas'El

Default First 5th edition guard experance

Well I played against guard using my Tau and managed a draw. I would do a battle report but I don't know what the other player really had. I just know for 1850Pt's both sides fielded over 300+ models so it's kinda hard to keep track of all that.

Turn 1-
Well I decided to let the guard go first and we both put huge chunks of our armies on the side lines. I was happy at first that I saw no indirect fire on the field, until the Master of I shoot str 9 AP 3 pie plates at you. The elite guard wasn't a problem for my fire warriors to gun down stopping them from calming an objective.

The ordnance HQ now is a priority target cause the damage he caused to my fire warriors early on.

Turn 2-
OK now guard can lower the reserve roll for them. That's out standing for them. When I saw 50 conscripts come from the side of the board I was like hey. But creed had an ability to do that. Stupid Special Characters. Than the Valkyries came in. I swear do the game designers realise how much fire power these things have. Sure they have armour 12, but if they wipe out all my heavy antitank weapons early in the game it becomes really hard to kill them.

Luckily my stealth suits came in and killed the HQ unit minus creed. Would had been nice if more of my other units would had came in but on a 5+ and the fact you could make me re-roll where i come in is kinda messed up.

Remaining turns. Well it locked bleak for me until my 2 squads of 30 kroot came on the board. The kroot pretty much pimp slap the guard all over the place. I messed up and allowed the Valkyries to live while I wasted time on his troops. Now as an after thought the Valkyries are two devastating to let them sit there and fire.

I managed to get a tie out of the game but honestly if the game went on longer I think he would had won since he had the two Valkyrie support that can easily kill 12 kroot per turn.

I now see with the new guard I wouldn't rely heavily on reserves do to the fact they may never come in the game before the game ends.

It was kinda funny that one unit nearly blew itself up trying to use it's democharge to blow up my kroot.
Old 10 May 2009, 11:20   #2 (permalink)
Shas'Ui

Default Re: First 5th edition guard experance

He payed out the nose for his command squad though. Creed plus Master of Ordnance plus Telepath plus Officer of the Fleet?

By the way, it wasn't Creed that let the Conscripts outflank, he was using Al'Rahem. Guard have a huge number of special characters now.

Do you remember what types of guns he had on his Valks? I assume they were kitted out for infantry-killing and not tank-busting?

Mournus Skitarii 3rd Legion, the Will of Mourn

Kaffl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10 May 2009, 13:21   #3 (permalink)
Shas'Ui

Quote:
Originally Posted by chicop76
Well I played against guard using my Tau and managed a draw. I would do a battle report but I don't know what the other player really had. I just know for 1850Pt's both sides fielded over 300+ models so it's kinda hard to keep track of all that.
How did TAU have over 300+ models in an 1850 point batttle? With guard that would be difficult to do as well, especially with all his special characters.
"They shall be my finest Cannon Fodder, these men who give themselves to me. Like clay I will mold them and in the furnace of war they will become cracked and broken. They will be of tissue paper and whimpy muscle. In tissue paper armor I clad them and with the mightiest flashlights they will be armed. They will be touched by every sort of plauge or disease to help further make them unhappy, all sickness will blight them. They will have almost no tactics, strategies, but lots of machines so that they can atleast stand up to a foe in battle. They are my tar pit against the Terror. They are the bulk of Humanity. They are my Imperial Guard and they will know much fear!"

A fortress circumvented ceases to be an obstacle. A fortress destroyed ceases to be a threat. Do not forget the difference.
- Attributed to Leman Russ

My armies may sleep, but big guns never tire.

Surrender - or die.
Typhon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10 May 2009, 14:07   #4 (permalink)
Shas'El

I believe he means a combined 300 models

USAFTACP is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10 May 2009, 15:15   #5 (permalink)
Shas'Ui

Quote:
Originally Posted by USAFTACP
I believe he means a combined 300 models
Ahhh, that would make a lot more sense.
"They shall be my finest Cannon Fodder, these men who give themselves to me. Like clay I will mold them and in the furnace of war they will become cracked and broken. They will be of tissue paper and whimpy muscle. In tissue paper armor I clad them and with the mightiest flashlights they will be armed. They will be touched by every sort of plauge or disease to help further make them unhappy, all sickness will blight them. They will have almost no tactics, strategies, but lots of machines so that they can atleast stand up to a foe in battle. They are my tar pit against the Terror. They are the bulk of Humanity. They are my Imperial Guard and they will know much fear!"

A fortress circumvented ceases to be an obstacle. A fortress destroyed ceases to be a threat. Do not forget the difference.
- Attributed to Leman Russ

My armies may sleep, but big guns never tire.

Surrender - or die.
Typhon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10 May 2009, 15:31   #6 (permalink)
Shas'El

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kaffl
He payed out the nose for his command squad though. Creed plus Master of Ordnance plus Telepath plus Officer of the Fleet?

By the way, it wasn't Creed that let the Conscripts outflank, he was using Al'Rahem. Guard have a huge number of special characters now.

Do you remember what types of guns he had on his Valks? I assume they were kitted out for infantry-killing and not tank-busting?
Well he had two Valkyries:

Valkarie 1 had 3 lazcasnnons that was twin linked and a heavy bolter or two.
Valkarie 2 had two large pie plates, and 2 heavy bolters and a multi-laser if I remembered correctly.

I was able to immobilize Valkarie 1 and just kept my army out of it's line of fire. Valkarie 2 laid waste to most of my kroot and fire warriors.

OK. I was running.

1 hammerhead +1
2 broadsides w/4 shield drones +5
8 pathfinders w/2 gun drones + devilfish w/smart missiles +11
6 stealthsuits w/12 gun drones +18
1 Shas'o +1
12 fire warriors +12
12 fire warriors +12
20 kroot w/10 kroot hounds +30
20 kroot w/10 kroot hounds +30

So I had fielded 120 models on my side. This is around what he had.

50 conscript's
10 man HQ with special char
10 in Valkyrie 1
10 in Valkyrie 2
10 stormtroopers that died trying to take the hill.
6 heavy team commander killed
6 heavy weapon team commander killed
30 man squad kroot beat to death
6 man lazcannon team that was untouched
10 man squad that got half blasted with pathfinders removing save
10 man squad that just sit there with thumbs up their butt. But jumped in the Valkyrie at last moment to claim hill objective.
10 veterans
10 veterans
2 Valkyries

My best gust is that he had around 170 models. He probably had more cause I killed a lot of his men with stealth suits and kroot. I just lost track on how many I killed cause it seem like I wasn't really denting his army until the kroot got into hth. But combine that would be at least 290 models on the field so I was off by 10. I was saying around 300+ both tau and ig combined.

Good to know that my stealth suits actually made up for getting slaughtered by taking out the command squad early. A 155pt unit is still a lot of points to lose on a suicide mission.

Also the rank fire is retarded good. I was devastated by the rapid fire lasguns that can shoot more than normal.

Old 10 May 2009, 20:43   #7 (permalink)
Shas'El

Quote:
Valkarie 2 had two large pie plates, and 2 heavy bolters and a multi-laser if I remembered correctly.
What was the strength on the second valkarie missiles? The missiles that come stock on it are not large blast, only the incindiaries and missile pods do that.

Quote:
Originally Posted by runer60000
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gearhead
I believe so, I get mine at Walgreen's for around $7. Brake Fluid works too (Pine Sol Works on metals, not so well on plastics), but I prefer the spraycanniness of the Easy Off. Spray it (Wear gloves, it's important), let it sit, and take a toothbrush to it later.
so what your saying is that oven cleaner can remove paint from plastic models? and after that, you take a toothbrush to your plastic model, and the paint just comes off?
Gearhead is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10 May 2009, 21:31   #8 (permalink)
Shas'El

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gearhead
Quote:
What was the strength on the second valkarie missiles? The missiles that come stock on it are not large blast, only the incendiaries and missile pods do that.
The missiles was AP 6 and around str 5 if I remember correctly. He was wounding me on 2s and kroot have no save.
Old 11 May 2009, 04:14   #9 (permalink)
Shas'El

THe two pie plates are S4, not S5. By making them S4 they count as defensive weapons and can be fired in addition to the Multi-laser after moving 12"

USAFTACP is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11 May 2009, 04:43   #10 (permalink)
Shas'Vre

Send a message via MSN to Hoarday

It should be noted Creed was the one allowing the conscripts to outflank. He grants Scout to a single unit.