Tau Empire Codex 2013 | Army Builder Program
Dark Angels Codex 2013
Chaos Daemons Codex 2013
Chaos Space Marines Codex 2012

Warhammer 40k Forum Tau Online

Warhammer 40K Forum

Orders and Storm Troopers Question
View Poll Results: Do Hot-Shot weapons count as Lasguns?
Yes, the count as "lasguns". (Nice Tactic) 3 9.68%
No. Hot-shots are not "lasguns". (Damian is Cheesy Git) 28 90.32%
Voters: 31. You may not vote on this poll

Closed Thread
Old 08 May 2009, 13:47   #1 (permalink)
Shas'Ui

Send a message via MSN to Damian_Alpha
Default Orders and Storm Troopers Question

One of the curious things about the new codex is that the stormtrooper entry renamed all their basic weapons, from hell-guns to "Hot-Shot Lasgun". It is still rapid fire, but the maximum range is six inches less than before.

What I'm wondering is, would you count this as a Lasgun weapon for the purposes of the "First Rank, FIRE! Second Rank, FIRE!" order that can be given by command squads, given the following stipulation(s)?

1.) The maximum range of the weapon is 18". Therefore, even though the order declares that you fire two shots at an opponent up to 24" away, the weapon does not fire if the model is more than 18" away.
"I have exactly one-hundred men under my command counting on ME to lead that charge, you two-bit mechanic. I have five seige tanks, eight APC's, an artillery platform and a light mech that need resupply and repair by dusk. I need remote mines set, trenches dug, and my men fed and rested, or those Marines are going to be using us for toothpicks. Get it done, Fio'vre." Officer Sherwin Jackson, 13th Dal'yth Company, to Fio'vre D'nan

"Feed well, my Bretheren. You are what you eat, and we have devoured the mighty." Master Shaper Korl Muur
Old 08 May 2009, 13:49   #2 (permalink)
Ethereal

Send a message via MSN to Wargamer
Default Re: Orders and Storm Troopers Question

This is why I wish they'd stuck with the name "Hellgun". It sounds better, and avoids confusion.

For the record, I don't believe you can give Stormtroopers any orders, as they are not part of the standard Guard command structure - they have their own mission, given by a much higher power than whoever is leading your army, and they won't take a blind bit of notice to some jumped-up twit with a shiny monocle!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tom Norman
"Wargamer is never wrong, Frodo Baggins; he knows precisely the rules he means to."
Old 08 May 2009, 14:14   #3 (permalink)
Zen
Ethereal

Send a message via MSN to Zen

HSLG is not a "lasgun". It's a Hellgun with a Hot-Shot Backpack.
Old 08 May 2009, 14:35   #4 (permalink)
Shas'El

No, because the Storm Troopers are given Special Operations, thus why they do not have Orders, because they are required to achieve a specific mission (or missions).

Old 08 May 2009, 14:46   #5 (permalink)
Shas'Ui

Send a message via MSN to Damian_Alpha

Quote:
Originally Posted by Zenai
HSLG is not a "lasgun". It's a Hellgun with a Hot-Shot Backpack.
I am thoroughly agree about the name, which is why I'm bringing it up. It was an odd convention (and please pardon me for playing Devil's Advocate here), I think you can see where the confusion arises. The weapon's includes the word "LASGUN" right there, whereas they refer to the weapon as a hellgun only once, in flavor text.

I'm not saying that it's right. I'm just pointing out that there is a semi-valid argument to the weapon being confused for one.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wargamer
This is why I wish they'd stuck with the name "Hellgun". It sounds better, and avoids confusion.

For the record, I don't believe you can give Stormtroopers any orders, as they are not part of the standard Guard command structure - they have their own mission, given by a much higher power than whoever is leading your army, and they won't take a blind bit of notice to some jumped-up twit with a shiny monocle!
Again, I agree that if they wanted to avoid confusion, they should have stuck with the old name.

And, while storm troopers have their own dedicated Mission, you can still give them orders. Nothing in the rulebook indicates that you cannot, either in the Orders special rule section, or in the Storm Trooper entry...which is why you can also use "Fire on my Target!" to royally screw over Marines in cover. It's still an issue to worry about.

I'm glad that I've gotten responses from two of the brightest minds on TO, though. I hope this discussion will clear up the issue for guard beginners who might have this same question.
"I have exactly one-hundred men under my command counting on ME to lead that charge, you two-bit mechanic. I have five seige tanks, eight APC's, an artillery platform and a light mech that need resupply and repair by dusk. I need remote mines set, trenches dug, and my men fed and rested, or those Marines are going to be using us for toothpicks. Get it done, Fio'vre." Officer Sherwin Jackson, 13th Dal'yth Company, to Fio'vre D'nan

"Feed well, my Bretheren. You are what you eat, and we have devoured the mighty." Master Shaper Korl Muur
Old 08 May 2009, 14:50   #6 (permalink)
Shas'Vre

actually it doesn't say anything about storm troopers not being able to be given orders(same with ratlings and orgyns). However if you plan to use the special operation rules you'll probally be out of order range.

However I don't think HSLG is elegible for the FRFSRF order because as 'lasgun' is the one that uses the stat line in the referance sheet

I just got the book a couple of days ago, so if anyone sees something contradicting what I've posted please give me the page number so I can correct myself.
-Better advise has never been spoken. It answers most rules questions we are forced to answer.
Old 08 May 2009, 17:15   #7 (permalink)
Ethereal

Send a message via MSN to Wargamer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Damian_Alpha
I am thoroughly agree about the name, which is why I'm bringing it up. It was an odd convention (and please pardon me for playing Devil's Advocate here), I think you can see where the confusion arises. The weapon's includes the word "LASGUN" right there, whereas they refer to the weapon as a hellgun only once, in flavor text.
Heavy Bolters include the word "BOLTER", but Sternguard with Heavy Bolters (or Bolt Pistols, or Storm Bolters) don't get Special Ammunition.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tom Norman
"Wargamer is never wrong, Frodo Baggins; he knows precisely the rules he means to."
Old 08 May 2009, 17:38   #8 (permalink)
Shas'El

Send a message via AIM to Tausand sun Send a message via Yahoo to Tausand sun

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wargamer
Quote:
Originally Posted by Damian_Alpha
Heavy Bolters include the word "BOLTER", but Sternguard with Heavy Bolters (or Bolt Pistols, or Storm Bolters) don't get Special Ammunition.
Actaually there was an article on another forum that said they did. I forget how they proved it but it was accepted there. I'll see if I can find it. Myself I don't know anything about bolters so can't say anything.

back on topic. NO a Hotshot lasgun is about as much of a lasgun as an ordinance weapon is a ordinance blast weapon. It's not the exact terminology and so the rules don't match up. Besides who would want to FRFSRF on stormtroopers anyway, that's either incredibly unfair against marines or just wasted shots against anyone else when you can combine two or three infantry squads and get 90 base shots off.
"The Imperium has abandoned us brothers! And these blue-skinned "saviors" seek only to enslave us. Follow me and march to freedom so we might transform the galaxy into a peaceful place for all sentient species!" -- Commander Alexander of the 88th Aldarian Phoenix Regiment
Old 08 May 2009, 19:49   #9 (permalink)
Shas'Vre

Send a message via MSN to Hoarday

Quote:
Besides who would want to FRFSRF on stormtroopers anyway
I think you kind of answered your own question there. As the guard player, I don't really care if its fair to the marine player or not, if it kills the target then that's awesome. I agree you can't combine the two though. A hot-shot lasgun is not the same as a lasgun just the same as a laspistol is not a lasgun. Only actual lasguns will benefit from FRFSRF. The previously mentioned FOMT combo could be an interesting one though... Take 2 senior officer squads, keeping one in the back where he belongs to buff heavy weapon crews and motor the other one up the field in a chimera along with your 2 large squads of stormies and you'll have no problem chewing through multiple marine squads every turn.
Old 08 May 2009, 23:09   #10 (permalink)
Shas'El

That's a quite viable tactic considering the base cost for your second command squad + transport is just a hair over 100 pts.

Closed Thread