Chaos Daemons Codex 2013
Chaos Space Marines Codex 2012

Warhammer 40k Forum Tau Online

Warhammer 40K Forum

Haven't read the new dex.
Old 07 May 2009, 15:25   #1 (permalink)
Shas'El

Default Haven't read the new dex.

I was in the middle of building my guard than bang a new Dex is out. I was going drop guard with chem inhalers. I just want to know how will I'll be able to do that in the new Dex.

If the only was to deep strike is to take a Valkyrie than I guess I'm a cheap skate and won't pay 60$ do deep strike on top of me getting the forge world jump packs. Also I'm still delaying on getting forge world heads with chem inhalers. If chem inhalers are gone than I'll save my money.

Also i would like to know how many troops is the max in the troop selection. In the old Dex you could have like 330 in your troop option. Just wondering if it's like nids where 30 models count as 1 or you can only take 60 now.
Old 07 May 2009, 16:14   #2 (permalink)
Shas'El

Default Re: Haven't read the new dex.

I would suggest buying the new codex! If you're building a guard army you need it anyways.

USAFTACP is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07 May 2009, 16:30   #3 (permalink)
Shas'Ui

Send a message via MSN to Damian_Alpha

1.) Storm Troopers can still Deep Strike, and many other units in the army can outflank. It's a moderate loss of mobility compared to the old dex, but manageable.

2.) Commissars can now be taken as additions to you Platoon Command Squads, and Infantry Squads, extending the Stubborn USR to the unit (Plus he gives the squad higher Leadership, and executing one model re-rolls morale check). Otherwise, you aren't going to be able to gain the effect of the old Chem inhalers anymore.

3.) And as far as what you can max out in troops, in each Infantry Platoon you get an assortment of units, all of which count as a single selection on the force org chart.
1 Platoon Command Squad (5 man)
2 - 5 Infantry Squads (10 men each, and the squads may "fuse" together in any combination, up to a single 50 man squad)
0 - 5 Heavy Weapons Squads (3 2-man teams each)
0 - 2 Special Weapons Squads (6 men each)
0 - 1 Conscript block (20 - 50 men

All together, a single Platoon could have 147 infantry. With six troops slots, that's upwards of 850 models on the table, just from troops.

Does that help?
"I have exactly one-hundred men under my command counting on ME to lead that charge, you two-bit mechanic. I have five seige tanks, eight APC's, an artillery platform and a light mech that need resupply and repair by dusk. I need remote mines set, trenches dug, and my men fed and rested, or those Marines are going to be using us for toothpicks. Get it done, Fio'vre." Officer Sherwin Jackson, 13th Dal'yth Company, to Fio'vre D'nan

"Feed well, my Bretheren. You are what you eat, and we have devoured the mighty." Master Shaper Korl Muur
Damian_Alpha is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07 May 2009, 18:05   #4 (permalink)
Shas'El

Quote:
Originally Posted by USAFTACP
I would suggest buying the new codex! If you're building a guard army you need it anyways.
I'm waiting for the book to come in the mail.

Thanks Damian_Alpha. That helps with what I'm doing. I can now put the heads on all my guardsmen now. Also I'll still get the jump packs for my outflankers. Also I guess I have to buy commissars as well.

Oh my. That means there is more guard troops to spam with.
Old 07 May 2009, 18:58   #5 (permalink)
Shas'La

Use counts-as for the Commissar, and model up a guy with a chem tank or chem control system to use as the Commissar.

The loss of a model represents the highest Ld model going into overdose and spasming to death as he cranks up his chems.
Old 07 May 2009, 19:26   #6 (permalink)
Shas'Ui

Send a message via MSN to Damian_Alpha

That idea is...

Well...

Bloody brilliant. I would actually suggest doing exactly what Maine said.

Also, just to point out another Outflanking unit; The new Penal Legionaires are Stubborn and have the Scout rule, by default. They don't get special or heavy weapons, but their Desparadoes rule gives them a random ability that helps towards close-combat; Assault 2 24" lasguns OR Counter-attack, fleet, and Furious Charge OR two ccw and Rending... Could be a good choice for your army.
"I have exactly one-hundred men under my command counting on ME to lead that charge, you two-bit mechanic. I have five seige tanks, eight APC's, an artillery platform and a light mech that need resupply and repair by dusk. I need remote mines set, trenches dug, and my men fed and rested, or those Marines are going to be using us for toothpicks. Get it done, Fio'vre." Officer Sherwin Jackson, 13th Dal'yth Company, to Fio'vre D'nan

"Feed well, my Bretheren. You are what you eat, and we have devoured the mighty." Master Shaper Korl Muur
Damian_Alpha is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07 May 2009, 20:46   #7 (permalink)
Shas'El

Quote:
Originally Posted by Damian_Alpha
That idea is...

Well...

Bloody brilliant. I would actually suggest doing exactly what Maine said.

Also, just to point out another Outflanking unit; The new Penal Legionaires are Stubborn and have the Scout rule, by default. They don't get special or heavy weapons, but their Desparadoes rule gives them a random ability that helps towards close-combat; Assault 2 24" lasguns OR Counter-attack, fleet, and Furious Charge OR two ccw and Rending... Could be a good choice for your army.
A guard unit with rending close combat. What has the world come too.