Chaos Space Marines Codex 2012

Warhammer 40k Forum Tau Online

Warhammer 40K Forum

Vox Casters
Old 06 May 2009, 07:30   #1 (permalink)
Shas'El

Send a message via AIM to Tausand sun Send a message via Yahoo to Tausand sun
Default Vox Casters

With vox casters do you still need to be within the command radius to be given orders if both have an order? All I can find is that you get to re roll.
"The Imperium has abandoned us brothers! And these blue-skinned "saviors" seek only to enslave us. Follow me and march to freedom so we might transform the galaxy into a peaceful place for all sentient species!" -- Commander Alexander of the 88th Aldarian Phoenix Regiment
Tausand sun is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06 May 2009, 08:13   #2 (permalink)
Shas'La

Default Re: Vox Casters

Yes, you still need to be in range.

Lets hope this topic doesn't devolve into an opinion discussion on whether they should extend range or whatever else people think they should do, because that discussion was already done to death in another thread, and arguing about it further won't change what the rules are.
Old 08 May 2009, 01:28   #3 (permalink)
Shas'Saal

Quote:
Originally Posted by Maine
Yes, you still need to be in range.

Lets hope this topic doesn't devolve into an opinion discussion on whether they should extend range or whatever else people think they should do, because that discussion was already done to death in another thread, and arguing about it further won't change what the rules are.
My opinion, I think they should extend the range.... ;D
Just kidding,

The thing that saves vox casters from oblivion is they only cost five points. Combined with a combined squad (Haiku?) they make sense, oh and the range is fine.

The people have suffered years of warfare. Only the King of Qin can stop the chaos by uniting all under Heaven
Krumpa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08 May 2009, 08:22   #4 (permalink)
Shas'La

Quote:
Originally Posted by Krumpa
The thing that saves vox casters from oblivion is they only cost five points. Combined with a combined squad (Haiku?) they make sense, oh and the range is fine.
5 points, and it reduces your chance of Order failure for an Ld8 unit from 28% down to 8%. That's from more than 1/4 of the time down to less than 1/12th the time!
Old 08 May 2009, 18:52   #5 (permalink)
Shas'La

So they are still worth fielding then? I'm constructing my Catachan Army and I wanted to make sure before I paint/glue them on.
Dreamshift is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08 May 2009, 19:42   #6 (permalink)
Shas'Vre

Send a message via MSN to Hoarday

While they ARE cheap, I personally don't see myself getting a whole lot of use out of them. The squads that will benefit the most from vox casters are support squads getting buffed by Fire On My Target! and Bring it Down! Those squads can't actually use voxes. Of the platoon command orders available, the only one I really see as worthwhile is First Rank Fire! Second Rank Fire! The other two are less broadly useful. Leadership 8 Seems like a pretty decent number to test on for that considering its not really a lynchpin order for ensuring you get your shots off.

In all honesty, if you're planning on using a large infantry force with a sizable orders network, Creed and Kell will give you the most mileage for your points. Double the orders and double range, and testing on 10 due to the Creed/Kell combo will almost assure your orders get followed.
Old 08 May 2009, 23:05   #7 (permalink)
Shas'Ui

The most of vox casters I'm going to feild is one or two per platoon (of 50 guardsmen, 20 man platoons are for panzies ) that way if I combine squads, and I fail an order I won't be nerfed.

On a side note, back with the old codex I used to have an extensive vow network, because the way my force runs I suffer so many casaulties I need the extra leadership. With Sgts. in every squad now, that becomes a secondary concern Ld 8 is a lot better than 7.

EDIT the casaulties are purposeful, I usually feild just over 200 guardsmen, in a meat grinder type force, I like cheap squads that are expendable. If you kill one two more take their place...
"They shall be my finest Cannon Fodder, these men who give themselves to me. Like clay I will mold them and in the furnace of war they will become cracked and broken. They will be of tissue paper and whimpy muscle. In tissue paper armor I clad them and with the mightiest flashlights they will be armed. They will be touched by every sort of plauge or disease to help further make them unhappy, all sickness will blight them. They will have almost no tactics, strategies, but lots of machines so that they can atleast stand up to a foe in battle. They are my tar pit against the Terror. They are the bulk of Humanity. They are my Imperial Guard and they will know much fear!"

A fortress circumvented ceases to be an obstacle. A fortress destroyed ceases to be a threat. Do not forget the difference.
- Attributed to Leman Russ

My armies may sleep, but big guns never tire.

Surrender - or die.
Typhon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08 May 2009, 23:07   #8 (permalink)
Shas'El

I love voxes and will continue to use them. Failing an order 75% of the time is not fun, specially when I'm trying to stop some DSing terminators with a 50-man infantry squad.

I make heavy use of going to ground and using orders to get my squads back up. It does wonders for my survivability, and with a stable vox network I can use my orders much more effectively.

Without using a vox network, orders become just something that is nice but that you can't really rely on. With it however, you have one more stable aspect to help you bring a lot more firepower to bear.

USAFTACP is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09 May 2009, 00:46   #9 (permalink)
Shas'Ui

Send a message via MSN to Warpspiderman

Quote:
Originally Posted by USAFTACP
I love voxes and will continue to use them. Failing an order 75% of the time is not fun, specially when I'm trying to stop some DSing terminators with a 50-man infantry squad.

I make heavy use of going to ground and using orders to get my squads back up. It does wonders for my survivability, and with a stable vox network I can use my orders much more effectively.

Without using a vox network, orders become just something that is nice but that you can't really rely on. With it however, you have one more stable aspect to help you bring a lot more firepower to bear.
I was all for vox networks in the 4th edition codex. It was definitely worth the points. But in this codex, is it really cost effective to equip all your squads and HQ squads with vox casters? If I have extra points I think I'll do it, but if I had to choose between that and another armored sentinel, right now I'd go with the sentinel. Orders are nice, but I don't see the point in being able to reroll some. Statistically speaking, I believe you'll make it around 70% of the time.
Old 09 May 2009, 05:11   #10 (permalink)
Shas'El

As with pretty much everything in the IG codex, it's all up to player preference.

USAFTACP is offline   Reply With Quote