Warhammer 40k Forum Tau Online

Warhammer 40K Forum

How to stop Sly Marbo!
Old 05 May 2009, 20:44   #1 (permalink)
Kroot Shaper

Send a message via AIM to megagnat1
Default How to stop Sly Marbo!

Ok, here goes.

The local GW is having a tourney where you can choose any 2 troop choices, and you play against guardsman Marbo.

I have no idea how he plays because I have not had the opportunity to play him yet ;D

What makes him good? Also, what are his weaknesses?
And any input on what troops (only 2 troop choices) I should take for Tau, Dark Eldar, and Orks?
Old 05 May 2009, 21:31   #2 (permalink)
Shas'Ui

Default Re: How to stop Sly Marbo!

Dang. He's killy.
[hr]
His Turn
Here's the low down on guardsman marbo.

He's behind you! This special rule means he may be placed anywhere as long as it isn't within 1" of an enemy model. He may shoot, but may not assault or move.

Demolitian charge, Marbo then throws a demolitian charge into your models.
[hr]
Your turn
Marbo is now a sitting duck, shoot or assault him with massed numbers and he'll go down.
[hr]

For Tau
Two sqauds of twelve firewarriors within rapid fire range of each other, one squad gets annilated the other shoots and kills marbo.

For Orks
Two squads of boyz, within 12" so you can charge marbo as soon as he arrives, consider sluggas and coppas (pistols so you can shoot before assault) but enough numbers that he doesn't kill you first, (high initiative)

For Eldar
Shoot or assault? just make sure you have two identical squads, so if one gets taken out with a demo charge the other can kill marbo while he's vulnerable.

When he arrives after shooting Marbo is most vulnerable, take advantage of this and bring him down!

Hope this helps, Typhon
"They shall be my finest Cannon Fodder, these men who give themselves to me. Like clay I will mold them and in the furnace of war they will become cracked and broken. They will be of tissue paper and whimpy muscle. In tissue paper armor I clad them and with the mightiest flashlights they will be armed. They will be touched by every sort of plauge or disease to help further make them unhappy, all sickness will blight them. They will have almost no tactics, strategies, but lots of machines so that they can atleast stand up to a foe in battle. They are my tar pit against the Terror. They are the bulk of Humanity. They are my Imperial Guard and they will know much fear!"

A fortress circumvented ceases to be an obstacle. A fortress destroyed ceases to be a threat. Do not forget the difference.
- Attributed to Leman Russ

My armies may sleep, but big guns never tire.

Surrender - or die.
Typhon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05 May 2009, 21:48   #3 (permalink)
Shas'O

Send a message via MSN to Circus Freak

That'll be overkill. I can't see how any sensible person can lose. Just space out your squads a little bit and you'll take him down, he's only T3 with two wounds and a 5up save.
Crikey! This crazy clown causes commotion like the coming of Christ. Contained in a circle corrupted by crackheads and carnal cravings, he creates no concession to callous cheaters concentrating on nought but cock. Certainly, still a curious and cordial cavalier in the countenance of crazed cads, curs and creeps who condemn courtesy as something corny. No cloud could collapse his crushing crescendo of comical crowing and crimson coiffure. This conjecture on culture comes circumlocutive, consequently...

You may call me Circus.
Circus Freak is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05 May 2009, 21:55   #4 (permalink)
Shas'O

Send a message via MSN to Jeff Send a message via Yahoo to Jeff

He will kill one squad... maybe.

two min units of marines without upgrades (or 1 that combat squads) will deal with him easily.

He has one demo charge.

Theoretically the 2 troops will always win. In bigger game marbo will take out 1 unit then die. Thats his new role. A glass cannon. He used to be so much more badass.
Old 06 May 2009, 02:05   #5 (permalink)
Shas'Ui

Use a transport.
Marbo can only shoot once a turn, and can't assault the first one.
Anything in a transport is a bad target for Marbo, as he can only kill the vehicle, then the occupents need to pass a leadership test, then they can kill him at will.

It'll work with any race, but probably best with Dark Eldar. Especially with so much easy access to S6+ weapons to insta-gib him. Plus it'll probably be the cheapest option at that.

Alternativly, you could always try two Deff Dreads, as it's next to impossible to kill both of them, even when they're sitting next to each other, and once the demo charge is gone, he can't do anything to them at all.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Alice
She said she can't die! She's survive even if you roast her or bake her.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Marisa
Should we try to boil her or fry her instead?
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mokou
It's foolish for people to go out on a night like this.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Reimu
Who?
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mokou
I'm talking about you.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Reimu
No, I'm not asking who's a fool.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Yukari
So you're admitting to being a fool?
Tsumishi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06 May 2009, 02:30   #6 (permalink)
Kroot Shaper

well he has melta bombs...
so the deffdreads may not be the best one, but really to inf squads shoud do it, with a little space and he can only get one.
Guardofficer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06 May 2009, 04:00   #7 (permalink)
Zen
Ethereal

Send a message via MSN to Zen

He's just there to throw that Demolition Charge (One Use Only). Just prepare for some casualities and then, prepare to smack him away.
Zen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06 May 2009, 10:27   #8 (permalink)
Shas'El

That's a pretty interesting idea for a game, however I think 2 troop choices is a bit overkill for him. Demo charges aren't very reliable, and they don't ignore cover saves.

His best bet is to try to charge with Morbo, he gets 6 attacks that hit on 3's and wound on 2's. A good usage of cover is the only way Morbo could win, and it's certainly not very likely

USAFTACP is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06 May 2009, 10:29   #9 (permalink)
Shas'O

Send a message via MSN to Circus Freak

It's curious how they've made Marbo more realistic and the Penal Legion totally unrealistic, though.
Crikey! This crazy clown causes commotion like the coming of Christ. Contained in a circle corrupted by crackheads and carnal cravings, he creates no concession to callous cheaters concentrating on nought but cock. Certainly, still a curious and cordial cavalier in the countenance of crazed cads, curs and creeps who condemn courtesy as something corny. No cloud could collapse his crushing crescendo of comical crowing and crimson coiffure. This conjecture on culture comes circumlocutive, consequently...

You may call me Circus.
Circus Freak is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06 May 2009, 20:48   #10 (permalink)
Shas'Ui

Quote:
Originally Posted by MetalGarurumon, HERO OF THE IMPERIUM!
the Penal Legion totally unrealistic, though.
Totally, wouldn't they be "cheaper" than regular guard? Their points cost make them an unviable option for me.
"They shall be my finest Cannon Fodder, these men who give themselves to me. Like clay I will mold them and in the furnace of war they will become cracked and broken. They will be of tissue paper and whimpy muscle. In tissue paper armor I clad them and with the mightiest flashlights they will be armed. They will be touched by every sort of plauge or disease to help further make them unhappy, all sickness will blight them. They will have almost no tactics, strategies, but lots of machines so that they can atleast stand up to a foe in battle. They are my tar pit against the Terror. They are the bulk of Humanity. They are my Imperial Guard and they will know much fear!"

A fortress circumvented ceases to be an obstacle. A fortress destroyed ceases to be a threat. Do not forget the difference.
- Attributed to Leman Russ

My armies may sleep, but big guns never tire.

Surrender - or die.
Typhon is offline   Reply With Quote