Chaos Space Marines Codex 2012

Warhammer 40k Forum Tau Online

Warhammer 40K Forum

Fast Attack tactics
Closed Thread
Old 07 Jun 2005, 19:12   #1 (permalink)
Shas'El

Default Fast Attack tactics

Im really over using the forums, but past advice has been really helpful. I, as known to all whom viewed it, have an apprx. 2000 point army. I mostly have artillary (mortars, griffon, basilisk), and many suggested i get some fast attack. I would love to, but i can't figure out some tactics to use. If you can possibly help me, it would help me a lot. I play against Tau, Eldar and Orks, and they are VERY fast armys. I am addicted to smashing them with artillary before they reach me, but a couple of times my oppenents have come very close to my lines.
I was thinking that a counter attack would be necessary to defend my artillary. Hellhounds, sentinels, Rough Riders, it's all too confusing! I beseech your help! Fast Attack tactics!

[img width=650 height=288]http://i9.photobucket.com/albums/a99/GeneralStankov/finalcopy.jpg[/img]
Old 07 Jun 2005, 19:51   #2 (permalink)
Shas'El

Send a message via AIM to wonderboy
Default Re: Fast Attack tactics

against tau and eldar,you really need the fast attack! i use them for flanking, but there are oads of different ides. i dont like to use the rough riders except against armies with a low ammount of models. the hunting lance can really come through when against small squads(if they live, but the calvary rule makes that a little easier...)the hellhound is perfect against sarm armies ,but little else. sentinels are the most adaptable choice being the moderation between those two. great for flanking, and give it a hunter killer missle, and its game over for most enemies.you can choose the weapon according to the army you are fighting.wargamer or jd will prob give you the complete list on tactics

2000 points
1500 points
my army lists.
Old 07 Jun 2005, 20:51   #3 (permalink)
Ethereal

Send a message via MSN to Wargamer

"Fast" is an odd word in the Guard, especially for me. Hellhounds, when they appear in my force, are used to hurl fireballs at people from static positions. Meh, that's SIGAFH for you...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tom Norman
"Wargamer is never wrong, Frodo Baggins; he knows precisely the rules he means to."
Old 07 Jun 2005, 20:54   #4 (permalink)
Shas'El

Send a message via MSN to legio mortis

If you can, try to set up your troops so that the terrain gives you an advantage. *Use forests or buildings to set up "kill zones" with heavy weapons by funneling troops through a narrow point(orks!). *Or, get some cheap expendable infantry (conscripts) and move them into CC to tie up those pesky enemies to keep them from reaching your precious big guns and bogging them down for a few precious turns.
But seriously, a Guardsman, I'm willing to bet, could a) outshoot me, b) give me the beating of my life, and c) shove more squad-based tactics down my throat than I'd ever care to digest. Guard are hard, hard men. Whether or not GW's inconsistent, Marine-worshipping fluff keeps with that, mkay?

Real men fight in tanks!

sig by Kais

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nox
Legio why do I always imagine you shouting when I read your posts? :P
Old 08 Jun 2005, 08:53   #5 (permalink)
Kroot Warrior

just add in another unit of heavy wpns. or like the guy above said, funnel the enemy into 'easy to kill' formations.
Old 08 Jun 2005, 10:42   #6 (permalink)
Shas'O

Well helhounds would be good, inferno flamer's ap is one under 5/1 up from 3, meaning all orks,eldar and tau basic units don't get saves.

The hellhound is also a tank, which could go into fluff of your army.
Old 08 Jun 2005, 19:31   #7 (permalink)
Shas'El

Thanks. I know what you mean, Guard and speed aren't synonomous. For the kill zone idea: I made a bunch of quick, foamcore buildings, a defence line, a gate (it's sweet), and some riversections. Oh! and some snow dunes. I also made a statue of stankov by taking the actual model that he is, adding the two hand power ax, and mounting on a plinth. In essence, I play a real basic form of snow-city fight. A hell-hound would be a good choice, not only because Valhallans usaully field it, but also because of those pesky Tau often make use of cover. My ork friend 'looted' one after i suggested he get one, but i destroyed it 3rd turn, before he even fired with it! I was looking for tactics though, because the next thing I buy will be a Hell-Hound. Thanks for the input, though

[img width=650 height=288]http://i9.photobucket.com/albums/a99/GeneralStankov/finalcopy.jpg[/img]
Old 08 Jun 2005, 21:01   #8 (permalink)
Shas'O

Move around a lot, hit the basic troopers in cover.
Old 09 Jun 2005, 18:48   #9 (permalink)
Shas'El

Quote:
Originally Posted by AfterCresent
Move around a lot, hit the basic troopers in cover.
I'm not sure i see what you mean. If it means move my entire army, i have a lot of heavy weapons, and it would waste them. If it means the hell hound, i guess it would work, but i have a lot of anti-tank trouble, as in my opponents hate my armour and want nothing more than to destroy it

Old 09 Jun 2005, 19:41   #10 (permalink)
Shas'O

Move the hellhound, paint it so it doesn't stand out as much don't make it seem super real, and if you have to you can lie for how many VP's it's worth.
Closed Thread