Chaos Space Marines Codex 2012

Warhammer 40k Forum Tau Online

Warhammer 40K Forum

Manticores & Storm Eagle Rockets
Old 04 May 2009, 15:01   #1 (permalink)
Shas'Ui

Send a message via Yahoo to Hairy Grim
Default Manticores & Storm Eagle Rockets

If the Manticore suffers a 'Weapon Destroyed!' result, does it lose all the Rockets or just one?

Common sense (& experience with the Skyray) tells me no, that it would only lose one of the shots. The thing is though, in its entry, it only says the Manticore is equipped with "Storm Eagle Rockets", rather than "4 Storm Eagle Rockets" (like how the Skyray had "6 Seeker Missiles"), & the rule for limited ammunition is for the Manticore itself, rather than the weapons. I have checked several times in the Codex to see if the problem is addressed, but it isn't.

Until the FAQ comes out (& probably afterwards too, considering the GW's nack for picking questions to answer) I will probably play with a 'Weapon Destroyed!' result lowering the remaining Rockets by 1, as it just seems a bit silly having alll the Rockets going at once (although I s'pose it could be system damage), but what do you think?
Old 04 May 2009, 15:12   #2 (permalink)
Ethereal

Send a message via MSN to Wargamer
Default Re: Manticores & Storm Eagle Rockets

The Manticore is awkward in this regard, as neither the 5th Ed. Codex version nor the Imperial Armour version specifically state that each rocket is an individual weapon. Instead, they simply state that after four shots you are out of ammo.

As such, I'm afraid that the entire rocket launch assembly is a single weapon; when one rocket goes boom, they all go boom!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tom Norman
"Wargamer is never wrong, Frodo Baggins; he knows precisely the rules he means to."
Wargamer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04 May 2009, 15:16   #3 (permalink)
Shas'Ui

Fair enough then, how annoying. :-\
Old 04 May 2009, 16:23   #4 (permalink)
Ethereal

Send a message via MSN to ForbiddenKnowledge

Speak with an opponent, I wouldn't have a problem with 1 weapon destroyed = 1 rocket destroyed. You only get 4 freakin shots, its not the end of hte world.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tim.
Rafe is damn sexy once he gets into his night attire.
ForbiddenKnowledge is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04 May 2009, 17:41   #5 (permalink)
Shas'La

I'd say by RAW, the entire system should be destroyed on a weapon destroyed. "Storm eagle rockets" is one entry in the wargear section of the vehicle and it says nothing about multiples. Therefore it could be destroyed.

BY RAI the reason being that if the designers wanted 4 rockets they would have listed them as such (with a rule saying only one could be fired a turn).

Fluffwise it makes sense too, how likely is a damaging shot (or swipe) likely to JUST take off one missile without damaging the launching system itself?
Droofus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04 May 2009, 17:53   #6 (permalink)
Shas'Ui

Quote:
Originally Posted by Droofus
By RAI the reason being that if the designers wanted 4 rockets they would have listed them as such (with a rule saying only one could be fired a turn).
The thing is though, it DOES say in the codex that you can only fire one rocket per turn, which just confuses things further as there wouldn't be any need for that rule if it was all one 'weapon'.

Meh, I'll just talk it over with opponents & agree on something.
Old 04 May 2009, 17:56   #7 (permalink)
Shas'O

Send a message via AIM to Farseer_Del Send a message via MSN to Farseer_Del Send a message via Yahoo to Farseer_Del

Could always just roll a dice. 1-2, the whole system is kaput, 3-4, a rocket is kaput? Or maybe just on a 1 it's the whole system, anything else a rocket is damaged?
Farseer_Del is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04 May 2009, 18:15   #8 (permalink)
Shas'El

In IA Apocalypse the Manticore entry says that it has "Four Manticore Missiles". Manticore missiles have the Ordnance special rule so it can only fire one per turn.
If the Codex says that it's equiped with "rockets" that can only fire four times a game then all the missiles will be destroyed. On the other hand if it says "four single shot rockets"; only one rocket's destroyed per destroyed result.
jimmy_mymail is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04 May 2009, 19:00   #9 (permalink)
Shas'El

Quote:
A Manticore Rocket Launcher typically carries a rack of four rockets.
Since it states that it is just one weapon system carrying limited ammo, once the weapon is destroyed then it is gone. It says nothing about the rockets being individual weapon systems, only that it can only fire one rocket per turn.

So one weapon destroyed result and the tank becomes a heavy bolter shooter.

This could change in the up coming FAQ, but this is what I interpret.
Shasel_Aunat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05 May 2009, 11:31   #10 (permalink)
Shas'El

If your planning to only use a single Manticore then use the IA Apocalypse rules; they carry four rockets (individually) so you only lose one per destroyed result.
jimmy_mymail is offline   Reply With Quote